Koodo Community
Question

How do I get pics w/ msg, and cancel Koodo?

I tried to get a human after a hours of loging in to every section Koodo could think up. I did finally get a callback, BUT, the agent said “Please may I have...” and went silent.

I went through all the hoops again THREE times hour after hour and still no one calls back. Maybe Koodo  needs to get a good mobile carrier.

Adding insult to injury, the Artificial I(no where near intelligent, not even close) that insist I have to log in to log in, using my landline locally, and calling my digital phone (DP) is long distance. Calling my wife on her Koodo account is long distance. WTH, she is sitting right bedside me and the phone never goes anywhere anyway.

QUESTIONS

1. Why does Koodo keep suggesting I talk to a human, and I book the appointment, and I Koodo fail to call back 3 out of 4 times. Are we as victims allowed only one call-back and that’s it?  Just one agent that can’t stay connected and after that, it’s pound sand?
    QUESTION: Is there a quick way of reaching a human by xcalling them and not just be referred to online help?

2. I tried the Artificial Idiot for over a hour to get to  where I can manually cancel Koodo and move to a reliable service.  Not happening. Eventually, the AI just tells me I need a agent and to book another waste of time waiting for a call that never comes.
    QUESTION:
    Is there a magic phone number to call to cancel Koodo or a web site, or whatever (except the dead call backs)  I can quickly move to a reliable service?

So now we get it. No one is going to call back.  We’re even, I’m not paying again - not paying for nothing..

The heading on a K contract should be larger letters, in red - bold and underlined saying “caveat Emptor”

I am a pre-paid victim.

They just pre-billed me another month. I don’t care about that so long as they stop billing asap.

Thanks in advance for you’re taking the time to read and help…

~v

This topic has been closed for comments

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let’s see if we can help you out without having to deal with a callback from Koodo assist.

Just to confirm, are you on a pre-paid plan or a postpaid plan?

It sounds like you are post paid but you used the prepaid term and that added some confusion.

All prepaid plans have canada wide calling so there should be no Canadian long distance charges.

If you have a post paid plan, what plan do you have?  Does it include canada wide or province wide calling?  How many minutes?  You can login to your self serve to find this out.

Just digging into the details of your post, is what you are trying to get a callback about regarding “being charged long distance while calling your home landline, your wife, and Digital phone (i’m not sure what this is).

Can you login to your self serve and download your detailed pdf ebill.  What exactly do the extra charges say they are for?  What does the line item say?

How long has you been with koodo and has this happened before?  Did you change your plan or anything else recently?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You mentioned that "where I can manually cancel Koodo and move to a reliable service."

Do you want to cancel Koodo service and move to different provider? If so, don't cancel Koodo yet.  Open an account with a new provider and transfer/port out your number to the new provider. Once porting is done, your Koodo will be cancelled. Then you will receive your final bill.

Please Ignore this Dennis. Not use to old-style forums any more. I’ll try  to answer another way. Once started, can’t cancel post.

(1) Let’s see if we can help you out without having to deal with a callback from Koodo assist.

Just to confirm, are you on a pre-paid plan or a postpaid plan?

It sounds like you are post paid but you used the prepaid term and that added some confusion.

(2) All prepaid plans have canada wide calling so there should be no Canadian long distance charges.

If you have a post paid plan, what plan do you have?  Does it include canada wide or province wide calling?  How many minutes?  You can login to your self serve to find this out.

(4) Just digging into the details of your post, is what you are trying to get a callback about regarding “being charged long distance while calling your home landline, your wife, and Digital phone (i’m not sure what this is).

(3) Can you login to your self serve and download your detailed pdf ebill.  What exactly do the extra charges say they are for?  What does the line item say?

How long has you been with koodo and has this happened before?  Did you change your plan or anything else recently?

1. On a prepaid (in advance)

2.  It’s prepaid, and Canada wide. (above image.)
  3. After I was able to circumvent Koodo login, and got past the  {"message":"Unauthorized"} error” I found the and screen capped the image above. There are no extra charges on the Koodo bills. The charges are not on the digital phone (DP). They are on my landline (LL).
  4. Using my LL, and calling the DP, is where I must put in the +1, before prefix. 
    My LL is not with Koodo, for obvious reasons - it’s a LL., works better than a DP.That’s not the main issue. The main issue is that I cannot send/receive chats with image (simple small jpg file). 

Apologies for not being better at describing things I’ve never encountered before, not having a DP until now.

I’m looking for a better Chat/Text program that might auto-pick up on things and include it.

QUESTION: Is there a difference between SMS and SMS/MMS? If I choose SMS and pin a pick to the message, should the image and text go when I send? Or should I used SMS.MMS options? I’ve tried both, but I think I can pin this down to being the DP itself, Even though the settings, according the Agent 7, are correct? What do you say?

and they said ‘embrace technology - it makes everything faster and  easier.’ Yeah, I want to embrace it  alright; the two handed embrace of it’s throat.  :)

~v

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to send pictures (MMS), you need to turn on data.

And it because you have a prepaid plan, there won't be any extra charge. If you used up your included data, then it just stop using your data( except to send/receive MMS).

If you don't want auto renew, then you can remove your card information. But you need to add funds manually for renew. If you forget, you don't get service until you top up. ( More than 90 days of activities will expire your account/ number)

If you want to send pictures (MMS), you need to turn on data.

It is turned on.

~v

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok I think when you say DP you mean a cell phone, but specifically a smart phone. 

Did you see your land line bill and actually see a long distance charge when you are calling your cellphone or your wife's cellphone? 

What city/town are you located in? 

When you selected your cellphone number, what town or city did you choose? 

What phone do you have? Was this phone purchased from koodo? Are you using this phone's default messaging app to send SMS and MMS? 

...when you say DP you mean a cell phone, but specifically a smart phone. 

I think anyone may label their Digital Phone anything they want. To advertise “smart” . No, I won’t do that. Inanimate objects cannot be “smart”, not even ‘clever’. IMO. DP ‘Digital Phone covers them all.  

Did you see your land line bill and actually see a long distance charge when you are calling your cellphone or your wife's cellphone? 

Not yet. When calling a local number from a landline (LL)  the message is ‘The number you have dialed requires long distance.’  or words to that effect. I have to hang up, put country code in then area code and finally, the 7 digits. 

What city/town are you located in? 

That’s confidential 😃 

When you selected your cellphone number, what town or city did you choose? 

Good question. I didn’t select it, the  fellow that sold Koodo account to me did that. However, the  Area prefix  is the same for everyone I know in this berg  with a DP.

What phone do you have? Was this phone purchased from koodo? Are you using this phone's default messaging app to send SMS and MMS? 

I have a Librem 5 (L5). Not purchased from Koodo, I bought it directly from Puri.sm .
Yes, I am using phone’s default  messaging program.

When I called my wife to check the phone, she was sitting across from me, and I  have to dial LD.

I have also spoken w/ the techs at Purism (Librem)  which is why I’m asking here..

SIDEBAR:

I often run into situations where others expect that everyone has and wants a DP.  A response I get is “What, you don’t have a cell?” My answers is always, “I don’t have a ‘cell’ because I was never convicted.”

I am not  technologically impaired. Just DP impaired.

I started out with Dos 2 and  now manage LAMP servers,. DPs is a entirely different ball of wax. Luckily, The “L5”  uses the Linux kernel.

I hope I covered it all. 

~v
Apologies for the formatting reply, but I didn’t see how I could address each question.  I know you must read many, many queries and  hoped to make it easier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To each their own.   As long as we know what each other means.

When you use your cellphone to call locally in your area are you incurring any long distance warnings or charges? 

How about when your wife calls you with her cellphone? 

Can you test if someone else calling you through a land line is also having these long distance warnings?

My thoughts are that the rep may have chosen the wrong city/town or the long distance warning is just a warning but there is no long distance actually incurred.

For your MMS issue,  can you check to make sure the data settings are correct here

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the phone you are using was not purchased from Koodo then the correct APN settings will need to be configured before any data use (including MMS) is possible. You can find the correct APN settings for Koodo at https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

… brevity

My thoughts are that the rep may have chosen the wrong city/town or the long distance warning is just a warning but there is no long distance actually incurred.

For your MMS issue,  can you check to make sure the data settings are correct here

Yes. It is still correct. EXCEPT. that in APN settings, it also asks for user ID and password.  The ID is my email address, and password is the 4 digit number the sales agent assigned to me.

As for all the testing, I am waiting to hear back from some people. 

I still can’t see the LD items as I’m still awaiting the bill. No, I cannot access it until it’s ready.

I’ll toss the LD calls into the wait-and-see basket.

Most importantly, I need to send/receive chats/text with images.

Thanks Dennis

I’ll open my next bottle of wine in your honour :) 

~v

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo's APN does not use a user id and password. If the fields are present in your phone they should be left blank.

I must apologize to @Dennis@Timo Tuokkola, and @Mayumi .

I am very sorry for taking up your valuable time. I’ll explain.

I took this issue to the manufacturers web site and so far, no answer. I didn’t know if it was the Digital Phone, the Chat program  or me. 

I tried all the suggestions from here. Tim Tuokkola’s suggestion (next above)  was most recent edit. I’ve sen tone to two people but none seen the text and image.

I returned to the manufacturer’s site and began scanning and found a similar problem.

Not to bore you any longer, bottom line is the Chat program that came with the phone has one problem. It does not handle images or Videos. But the options to use it are there. The chat-ter there is that maybe, sometime perhaps in the future the Options for send/receive images etcetera will be put to good use.

The manufacturers website docs for “Chat” (that’s it’s name) does not mention how to send/receive pictures nor explain why the option is available. 

Ya all have been great, and I very much appreciate folk like yourselves that donate their knowledge so others may grow too.

~v

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry I didn't read the entire conversation, but would it be an idea to use another chat app such as WhatsApp, Telegram or Messenger? Those will work with any phone or plan. Almost everyone has WhatsApp these days, so might be an option for you. You can send images and videos easily too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Sophia Probably not that simple. O.P. is using a Librem 5, which runs a custom Linux OS. While there may be alternate chat apps available, there certainly won't be as many as there would be for android, iOS or even Windows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I see 🙂 I won't suggest that Mr Victim get a new phone, but ultimately that might solve all problems even the SMS/MMS one 😁

Edit: I'll just leave this here: https://store.google.com/config/pixel_6a (hint: it's even cheaper with trade in)

@Timo Tuokkola 
Well, it seems I was too soon with my apology. I learned that text w/ images does work with the “Chats” app. Just not for me.  They tell me I need Koodo “Access Point” Names”

When I opened that, Koodo is set as:

Name: Koodo
APN: sp.kooko.com

User Name: email address 
Password: qwerty 😂

Here, I was told not to use name/password. Then Koodo folk told me  not to input Name or Password. I can’t delete it. I can only change it. I can’t leave Pwrd blank. I did not enter anything into Name/Pwd, it was already there. How? I’ve no idea.

It might help if I knew the following

1. How many characters allowed per text message?
  2. Can I send test msgs to myself w/ and /w image?
  3. A person w/ same phone says it works but only 2G, not 3, 4 or 5. Is that a Koodo limit?

Per @Sophia suggestion, I will not install SMIRC’ers on the phone. 3rd party stuff like What’sapp and such charge way too much - rights to privacy. Invaluable.

You have no idea how refreshing it is to talk with people that know their stuff. Thanks everyone for being here, 

~v

Sorry I didn't read the entire conversation, but would it be an idea to use another chat app such as WhatsApp, Telegram or Messenger? Those will work with any phone or plan. Almost everyone has WhatsApp these days, so might be an option for you. You can send images and videos easily too.

I’m a stickler at attempting to maintain my rights to privacy. IMO - WhatsApp has no respect or cares about our rights to privacy. Or Telegram, or Messenger.  They say they are free. That means your private self has no value, ergo, everything about you if free for the pillaging.

It’s called SMIRC.  They Stalk us, Monitor us, Inject code into our devices, Record our every bit and byte in order to Control our Internet surfing, buying, opinions, interests, and more.

I’m am that person that dos read the Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Acceptable Use Policy. 

Like the gal in Anon said, “It's not that I have something to hide. I have nothing I want you to see.”

Of course, any digital device is a target for SMIRCers, and is why I chose the phone. It’s about rights and privacy.

Sorry to sound like a tin-foil hatted anon, but experience (since 1983) with computes drilled it in to me. Your input is much appreciated.

~v

“I give the fight up, let there be an end. A privacy, an obscure nook for me. I want to be forgotten even by God.” -Robert Browning, Paracelsus, 1835

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No judgement from me 🙂 Ultimately everyone should decide for themselves what they feel comfortable with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Timo Tuokkola 

I just noticed this. I'm probably all off the mark, but could your issue be as simple as a typo perhaps?

@Timo Tuokkola 

I just noticed this. I'm probably all off the mark, but could your issue be as simple as a typo perhaps?

I wish it were that easy @Sophia. The typo is here, not on the phone. Great catch! 

A few people on manufacturers site said their devices worked.  i.e. Could send/receive texts with pics.

I’ve deleted everything and started fresh and slam-banged right in to the same problem. No pics within SMS/MMS

Data is on. The techs tell me everything is set correctly on the phone, sans any Koodo settings. I was not impressed with the rush to finish signing up w/ Koodo by store agent. 

Are these settings correct?:

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: 74.49.0.18:80

~v

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The correct setting would be listed here

Can you try downloading a different sms/mms app to see if the issue is fixed with a different texting app?

I see 🙂 I won't suggest that Mr Victim get a new phone, but ultimately that might solve all problems even the SMS/MMS one 😁

Edit: I'll just leave this here: https://store.google.com/config/pixel_6a (hint: it's even cheaper with trade in)

IMO:
Actually, what might help is if all the mobile providers stopped fighting each other and start using their systems for everyone, not just those they are trying woo away from other providers  by supporting only two major stalkers. Those are phones in exchange for money, and our rights to privacy.

No one should have to discover they wasted $1,200 USD just because the ISPs can’t come to a agreement on simplicity.

No one should have to become a digital device engineer to make certain their choice of stalker AKA phone, is compatible.

Koodo and other like it should also drop the stalker attitude and respect our rights to privacy. But if they did that, no one would have a phone.

Boiled down, the mobile providers are supporting stalkers. Pee yew!

~v

The correct setting would be listed here

Can you try downloading a different sms/mms app to see if the issue is fixed with a different texting app?

“non-koodo-phone”??? I haven’t seen a Koodo Phone. Never heard of it and the salesman knew I have a L5 didn’t tell me I had to have a Koodo Phone.

It MUST be a setting w/ Koodo. IMO.

~v

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Heh, ok we get it, you’re very opinionated. As you have an absolute right to be :) 

But a non Koodo phone means just that: a phone not purchased through Koodo. And therefore, ymmv. Some phones won’t work at all, similar to the ones you may purchase directly from countries with another bandwidth.

In your case, I believe you purchased not only a non Koodo phone (as in, not purchased from Koodo), but you even purchased one outside all the regular realms (non iOS, non Android, non Microsoft, and even non obsolete Blackberry).

Therefore, it might be that your phone won’t work at all. You can’t REALLY blame Koodo for that, but your own paranoia. Again, I (we) get it, you desperately seek privacy in a world where there isn’t much of that left… but I think your case proves conclusively that sometimes one has to give up some of that in order to get a working system.

I truly hope you find a solution - but if the likes of Timo can’t offer a solution, I’m not entirely sure that there is one 😉

All that said (and I hope you forgive some of my teasing) - there is one more app I forgot to mention: Signal. That is MADE for privacy conscious people, though as per Timo, it might not work on your phone with custom OS. In fact it’s a lot safer than SMS, which isn’t even encrypted and with a court order, anyone can get access to those.