Koodo Community

LTE Add-on for smartwatches

One can take a brief look at the Kodoo community questions and see a pattern: people love smartwatches and would love to be able to use the LTE versions of their smartwatches on Kodoo, without having to have their smartphones nearby.

I propose Kodoo listen to the growing number of people that express such an interest, and make it possible so that LTE smartwatches (regardless of brand) can work to their full capabilities on the Kodoo Network, retaining the same phone numbers we use on our phones and the same plans.

I understand there are costs associated with the implementation of such a service, but I am willing to bet a large number of people (myself included) would jump at the opportunity, should it present itself, even for a few extra $ compared to the "competition".

Light this post up if you agree.

Out of curiosity what specific LTE features would you like to see?

Most don’t realize but on the newer watches as long as you’ve got your phone on you/in range of the watch or are connected to wifi, it functions the exact same was as the LTE models which makes it a little harder to justify purchasing a LTE model than it was when the smartwatches first came out.

One can take a brief look at the Kodoo community questions and see a pattern: people love smartwatches and would love to be able to use the LTE versions of their smartwatches on Kodoo, without having to have their smartphones nearby.

I propose Kodoo listen to the growing number of people that express such an interest, and make it possible so that LTE smartwatches (regardless of brand) can work to their full capabilities on the Kodoo Network, retaining the same phone numbers we use on our phones and the same plans.

I understand there are costs associated with the implementation of such a service, but I am willing to bet a large number of people (myself included) would jump at the opportunity, should it present itself, even for a few extra $ compared to the "competition".

I think it’s nice to get the option to take advantage of the compatibility features with a standalone data plan geared specifically for smartwatches, but I don’t believe it will be something Koodo will consider at this point. While I would like to endorse for your cause, I reckon it will require a lot more support for them to put this into action. 

Out of curiosity what specific LTE features would you like to see?

Most don’t realize but on the newer watches as long as you’ve got your phone on you/in range of the watch or are connected to wifi, it functions the exact same was as the LTE models which makes it a little harder to justify purchasing a LTE model than it was when the smartwatches first came out.

My bad, I thought I made myself pretty clear : Using your LTE smartwatch as a standalone device, being able to take calls, receive and send messages and be connected to the internet without having your smartphone nearby/on you. 

And you need to be able to do all of that on your watch, using the same Kodoo plan you have on your phone, including the same phone number. Ofcourse, the option of using your Kodoo phone plan on your smartwatch, will come at a cost, as a add-on.

I understand there are costs associated with the implementation of such a service, but I am willing to bet a large number of people (myself included) would jump at the opportunity, should it present itself, even for a few extra $ compared to the competition.

I think it’s nice to get the option to take advantage of the compatibility features with a standalone data plan geared specifically for smartwatches, but I don’t believe it will be something Koodo will consider at this point. While I would like to endorse for your cause, I reckon it will require a lot more support for them to put this into action

If you believe it will require a lot more support for them to put this into action, start by voting this thread up. Change starts with each and every one of  us. If we all want something, but nobody dares push it forward nothing will change.

I bought a Galaxy Watch4 LTE and I made sure that Koodo supported esims before buying the watch. I read that this is what we should check with our network provider. Now I can’t use the phone feature of the watch and samsung won’t take it back.

Only the big 3 (I think) offer plans for watches - you’d need to consider Telus or one of the other providers for LTE. I have the Galaxy watch 4 as well, the BT version and it’s working like a charm. The only thing is you need to either have your phone nearby or WiFi available.

I totally agree with the smartwatch LTE add-on plan. I have an LTE smartwatch and couldn't use it on Koodo. I know I should've checked first. But I really hope Koodo will consider coz I don't want to switch to another service provider.

I see posts about this same request every month or couple of weeks, if we counted the threads that people created asking about it, rather than “likes” on this one post, there would likely be dozens of not hundreds of asks for the same features. I keep checking back every few months, and considering switching… but don’t want the big 3 back. I hope koodo doesn’t force me to leap, because it won’t be at Telus that I go to if I do leap. :(

I see posts about this same request every month or couple of weeks, if we counted the threads that people created asking about it, rather than “likes” on this one post, there would likely be dozens of not hundreds of asks for the same features. I keep checking back every few months, and considering switching… but don’t want the big 3 back. I hope koodo doesn’t force me to leap, because it won’t be at Telus that I go to if I do leap. :(

IIt's the same for Rogers/Fido and Bell/Virgin. They all appear to be retaining smartwatch lte as an incentive to go to the primary brands. I wouldn't expext this to change anytime soon. Do what fits your needs and budget. Don't hold yourself back if you want that functionality.

I’ve been on all three of the big three, I am aware it is intentional. At some point, hopefully a newcomer enters the market that offers comparable rates plus add on plan for wearables and doesn’t  have to play by the backdoor monopoly agreement rules on this,… then maybe someone might have to play ball and compete somewhat. It’s a remote possibility but it had happened somewhat in the past. I have mostly bounced between Koodo/Telus and Fido/Rogers because Bell/Virgin  has quite bad reception in my area… many watch for new players and try them out.

Hey everyone! As mentioned above, Koodo doesn’t offer Smartwatches but our friends over at TELUS do. You can take a look at their Smartwatch options here: TELUS: Smartwatches

In the meantime, I’ll mark this thread as Not planned, but please feel free to upvote it if this interests you. With enough support anything is possible :) 

Updated idea statusProposedHold for future consideration

I don’t even see a smartwatch plan, only tablets. I would like to have a smartwatch plan (without the phone nearby) for a kids watch which has GSP enabled. Two way call or text would be handy too. I don’t want to switch to Telus or any other provider because the plan I have is just right for me at the right price.

FYI,  Virgin has smartwatch addon with Number share.

I’m going to be up on the fence soon about this as well.

My wife just gave me a Google watch with LTE for xmas. She paid 100s extra for the LTE only to find out Koodo doesn't offer it. Like the original post said it would be setup to use your phones plan but you don't need your phone nearby, example you leave it in your car you don't have to worry about it. I know Telus offers this and the 2 companies are connected so how hard would it be for Koodo to add this option? I'm quite disappointed at this time!! 

My wife just gave me a Google watch with LTE for xmas. She paid 100s extra for the LTE only to find out Koodo doesn't offer it. Like the original post said it would be setup to use your phones plan but you don't need your phone nearby, example you leave it in your car you don't have to worry about it. I know Telus offers this and the 2 companies are connected so how hard would it be for Koodo to add this option? I'm quite disappointed at this time!! 

It isn't about technical issue. It is because they wanted customers to stay with Telus for extra feature. And That make a difference between 2 brands from the same company.

Has anything changed since this last post? I’m looking to buy a new smartwatch and don’t know if I should pay for the LTE version or just stick with Wifi.

Has anything changed since this last post? I’m looking to buy a new smartwatch and don’t know if I should pay for the LTE version or just stick with Wifi.

Nothing yet.
If you don’t have the desire to use your watch while you don’t have your phone on you then the wifi watch will function the exact same for cheaper as well.

It isn't about technical issue. It is because they wanted customers to stay with Telus for extra feature. And That make a difference between 2 brands from the same company.

Yeah, the extra “feature” that we would pay for. You have to pay more (with Telus) for the “feature” that we again get to pay for. Telus is looking like a seriously greedy monster. Their move with charging credit card processing fees (and lobbying for their ability to do so) was clear evidence of this. I own a business and don’t itemize and bill out for every single expense I have. Shall I add a surcharge for my electricity? Water? It’s absurd that they get to pass this normal business expense off to their customers. 

/rant

Seriously, though. Listen up, Koodo! Let us add smart watches! Do a little mental exercise. How likely is it that a Koodo customer is going to switch to Telus solely for the ability to add a smartwatch? I’d maybe pay 5-10 a month for this if I’m using my current number. Ten to 15 if I get a unique # (which I get is an apple watch only thing with Telus as it stands). But am I going to take a 40 a month hit to my rate plan AND add 10-15 a month for a watch? That’s 600~ a year for a watch. I mountain bike and don’t want to bring my expensive and large smartphone with me. I’ve resorted to a cheap phone and am bringing it on rides and pay 100 a year for a prepaid plan. It’s for emergencies only. It’s just a nuisance and a mental struggle given how much bloody easier this could be if not for corporate greed.

Ooooh update.

Virgin lets you add a smartwatch for 10 bucks a month. That’s a shared #, paired with your phone, and includes 1gb of data for the watch. 

Given that they have a 39 dollar a month plan (as does Koodo) right now with 20gb of data for new customers… Yeah. Time to switch. 

Byyyyeee Koodo! 

Well that is a pleasant surprise from a flanker brand. Public Mobile is the thrid tier of the Telus carriers and they just got a huge overhaul that I think leapfrog Koodo in everything but phone deals. I'm really hoping that with that and Virgin having introduced it, Koodo will seriously implement it.

Yeah, Telus had me for a 100 dollar a year pre-paid plan for a crappy phone I’d bring with me on the bike… and was getting 45 a month for an 8gb phone plan. 

So really I’m going to be up 5 a month to get more than 2x the data and finally be able to leave without my phone and still have a means to call out in an emergency. 

I mean, at this point, I don’t care if Koodo listens. They deserve to lose customers. I’m no fan of Bell or Rogers, either. They’re all problematic. But that Bell/Virgin is being reasonable about this one thing makes me feel great about switching. There’s really no loyalty to customers so I don’t know why customers should be loyal to them. It used to be that retentions depts would actually work to retain us. Not anymore. Switching is easy so might as well go with who has the best on offer right now.

Confirmed. With Virgin, now.

Had a friend’s referral code so am getting 5 a month off for 10 months (so are they). Rate is 39 a month and will go up to 45 after 24 months (that’s the 39.00 for 20gb Ontario promo). 

When I find my LTE smartwatch it’ll be 10 a month. Can add up to 5. Tablets, too, though I’ve no use for a cellular tablet.

Virgin includes everything that Koodo does from what I can tell. Koodo’s “choose a perk” like worldwide long distance (1000 mins a month) or mms voicemail are just part of the Virgin plan. Koodo had several perks to choose from… I didn’t look closely so am not sure if they have an edge over Virgin for some things. 

Smart watches are growing in popularity, and cellular support is becoming standard integration. It would be a mistake not to capitalize on such an add-on which would benefit both the consumers and Koodo. It is worth noting that even Telus, their parent company, offers this feature (OneNumber). It only seems natural to follow suit.

+1 to this, specially now that pre-ordering the Pixel 8 Pro gets you a free Pixel Watch 2… Koodo, please add add add-on option for smartwatches...