Skip to main content

One can take a brief look at the Kodoo community questions and see a pattern: people love smartwatches and would love to be able to use the LTE versions of their smartwatches on Kodoo, without having to have their smartphones nearby.

I propose Kodoo listen to the growing number of people that express such an interest, and make it possible so that LTE smartwatches (regardless of brand) can work to their full capabilities on the Kodoo Network, retaining the same phone numbers we use on our phones and the same plans.

I understand there are costs associated with the implementation of such a service, but I am willing to bet a large number of people (myself included) would jump at the opportunity, should it present itself, even for a few extra $ compared to the "competition".

Light this post up if you agree.

*bump*  (Sorry, to the Koodo apologists, but saying to people, “hey, maybe just don’t do the thing you’re trying to do” doesn’t really cut the mustard.)

This could, quite literally, be enabled with a tiny bit of programming.  So unless Telus is actively stopping Koodo from doing it (since the big 3 tend to limit their subsidiaries’ speed and features to drive people to the more expensive providers/plans), then there’s no excuse for not doing this after years of requests from customers.

I think currently it’s a feature limited to Telus specifically as  a measure to incentivize people to the 1st tier of the Telus umbrella. It indeed would not be a problem to implement. Just like 5G was flipped in quick order once Virgin started it, and Koodo responded. I wouldn’t call that being an apologist.

I’m having a hard time with the fact that I ordered a Pixel 8 Pro through Koodo, they sent me a LTE Pixel Watch 2 as part of the promo, which I can’t use with Koodo. Come on guys, it can’t be that hard to issue a esim and make this work. I’m more than willing to pay a bit extra. And tbh with the discounts that get thrown around is there really that much difference between the carriers?!?

Hold for future considerationPlanned

Hold for future considerationPlanned

Thank you very much for the update Bernard!

Any idea about a potential timeline for the implementation?

The last I heard was that it may be within a few months.  Not sure how many is a few.   I think Koodo is currently working with Apple so the timing is a bit uncertain.

@Shoany Right now we are looking at oct/nov however given we have to work with Apple I wouldn’t want to guarantee that. 

@Shoany Right now we are looking at oct/nov however given we have to work with Apple I wouldn’t want to guarantee that. 

@Bernard Koodo  does that mean that the LTE support will only be implemented for Apple smartwatches? Or all mainstream LTE smartwatches will be supported?

Thank you!

I would be delighted to be able to connect my Apple Watch to my Koodo prepaid plan! Hope the wait isn’t too long! 🤞If Koodo can’t provide smart watch feature in a few months, I’ll have to sign up elsewhere for a bundled Bell mobile plan. The newer phone models are much too heavy for me to carry around when out & about, but I still want to be connected to cell service.  The watch is small & lightweight & would allow me to move about without a heavy phone in my pocket. I just need a smart watch plan from Koodo to go with my cell plan.🤞

@Bernard Koodo  does that mean that the LTE support will only be implemented for Apple smartwatches? Or all mainstream LTE smartwatches will be supported?

Thank you!

I am interested in purchasing the new Samsung Watch 7 around Christmas time for myself.

Having a add-on, or even a plan for this watch would be a christmas gift in itself! Lol. 

If Koodo can have tablet plans than watches should be that difficult to provision. 

Hey @Bernard Koodo

Will this include android/Samsung aswell or just Apple for now?

I would like to purchase the new Samsung Watch 7 with LTE, but waiting for Koodo. 😜. I don't wanna switch to Telus. 

@Stofty  The most I can tell you right now is that we value both Android and Apple products.  Now, that doesn’t give you much to go on, although the alternative you mentioned (switching to TELUS) is not necessarily a bad one. There are special offers for Koodo customers to switch to TELUS.  

@Stofty  The most I can tell you right now is that we value both Android and Apple products.  Now, that doesn’t give you much to go on, although the alternative you mentioned (switching to TELUS) is not necessarily a bad one. There are special offers for Koodo customers to switch to TELUS.  

Thanks @Bernard Koodo

Out of curiosity what specific LTE features would you like to see?

Most don’t realize but on the newer watches as long as you’ve got your phone on you/in range of the watch or are connected to wifi, it functions the exact same was as the LTE models which makes it a little harder to justify purchasing a LTE model than it was when the smartwatches first came out.

@Allan M,

I would love it if Koodo would offer Smartwatches and plans in the near future.  For myself, I don’t like to carry my phone around with me while at work.  My main objective for purchasing a smartwatch is reminder notifications, MS Teams messages, text and calls.

My phone is up for renewal in March. I have a S22 in good condition. I would forgo a phone upgrade in place of a smartwatch.

I think that as Bernard said, there’s basically no time line publicly available besides Oct/Nov as a general idea when Koodo will add the option. ATM switching to Telus, if you want to stay within the Telus umbrella, is the only option to get a smartwatch plan. I suppose you could wait until Black Friday at least and assess your options then. It’s the best deals of the year anyways

I would like to have the ability to break free from holding or carrying my phone but know that I am still connected in case of an emergency. I find that the temptation to use the phone is increasing while carrying it. It is not a bad thing but I am trying to decrease the screen time and focus on life in front of me if that makes any sense. 

I have waited long enough for Koodo to implement this and I am tempted to go to Virgin  

Pleaae consider adding this feature @Koodo 

@baby_bestfriend We are still on track for the timelines I mentioned above!! It’s coming. 

@Bernard Koodo Will this include android smart watches as well, such as the google pixel watch? 🙂 My watch used to work on LTE when I first got it two years ago, but when my plan updated it stopped working… it was so useful for me when I was out running to still be connected without bringing my phone!

@Bernard Koodo Will this include android smart watches as well, such as the google pixel watch? 🙂 My watch used to work on LTE when I first got it two years ago, but when my plan updated it stopped working… it was so useful for me when I was out running to still be connected without bringing my phone!

That might be a separate issue.

You may want to make a sepate post if you want to dig more into that 

That might be a separate issue.

You may want to make a sepate post if you want to dig more into that 

Hi @Dennis!

In my opinion no other thread needs to be created. I created this thread as a general LTE smartwatch (not dedicated to only apple or samsung watches). And I am  conviced that Kodoo is aware that in Canada we have other smartwatches beside Appple Watch. As stated bellow... Remains to be seen what their final implementation will be!

As stated by @Bernard Koodo

How did your watch work on LTE previously?

Did you use a sim and pay for LTE connection for your watch that was successful in the past? 

He mentionned Koodo values “both Android and Apple products” so I would argue that they’re also doing it for Android. 

Also, it’s exciting to see that cooking up. Can’t wait for BF deals.

@baby_bestfriend We are still on track for the timelines I mentioned above!! It’s coming. 

This is excellent news! I really don't want to switch to Telus! 🤣

Yesterday I called Koodo and asked about buying a Google pixel 3 LTE watch, and asked what I needed to know about how to set it up with my current phone line and the person told me that all I had to do was buy the LTE version which would come with a SIM card and I could set it all up myself. He told me there were no extra fees associated through Koodo and no second lines needed, that I would for sure be able to use both my phone and the LTE watch simultaneously with the same number, without Bluetooth, and that I would for sure be able to use my LTE watch for calls etc without my phone present and without wifi. He assured me that there were no additional costs through Koodo, that it would work with Koodo, and that there was no set up needed through Koodo. 

I stress the word "assured", because I was very hesitant and asked for clarification and confirmation several times. 

Now I've just found this thread! Was he wrong? I almost purchased the watch today and now I'm relieved that I didn't in case he gave me inaccurate information. 

Looking forward to clarification here from you to guide my purchase. Thank you. 

It’s possible the rep was informed ahead of time for training and spoke before they were supposed to. When I try to find anything on Koodo’s site or any leaked announcements online (besides what’s been divulged here), nothing really comes up. I would wait until an official announcement about release date is made. you never know if a delay or issue might occur for any reason.

If you want that watch regardless, you could just get it. If you don’t want to bother with a more expensive LTE version until you know you can use it, then I’d wait. It kind of depends on your patience level here.