Koodo Community
Question

Samsung A52 connectivity a network issue?

• 15 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi there,

This is issue is not new, but I think it’s gotten worse recently. So here it goes:

I am currently in a rural corner of Nova Scotia, where connectivity is admittedly poor.
However, my partner and I both use Koodo, have the same plan, and the phones are sitting next to one another on the window sill …. difference: his phone (a 2018 Motorola, maybe $100) has enough connectivity to provide a hotspot with acceptable latency for video streaming, while I was not even able to provide ANY internet connection via hotspot. 

As I said, that phenomenon is not new, but it’s never been as bad. After resetting the network, I am now able to create a very, very, very, very, ….. poor connection. Definitely not good enough for video.

As I said, it’s gotten worse. The last time we visited here, I was actually better able to use the internet  on my laptop with  using the phone as a hotspot than trying to access email, messages, youtube directly on the phone. I found that quite curious.

I talked to Samsung, who suggested to talk to Koodo - they would be able to fix it. 
I kind doubt that … any ideas what might be going on?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You could try swapping sim cards to see if the problem follows. That at least would see if it’s the phone or the sim card. Older samsungs, if equipped with their own older gen exynos modems, are known for relatively  worse reception. The a52 being a two year old + midrange model, is  equipped with the qualcomm x52 modem….it seems so-so.

You might just have a lemon.

Userlevel 2

Hi Goran,

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.
So, let me see if I understand correctly:

A52 is not what you consider an older Samsung (with exynos modem), but the qualcomm x52 is only a so-so modem. Right?

Your suggestion is to swap sim cards.
Would a sim card issue see deterioration or would it be present from the get go or both?

And then .. maybe stupid question: how do I get a new sim card?
If I remember correctly it’s $15 from Koodo? By mail, which takes a couple of weeks. Or is there a short cut?