Lost MMS capabilities yet again!

• 16 January 2024
  • 45 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@nm143 did you click on the Koodo link that above mentioned the changes to MMS?

Help - I have this happening too since the 28th. I talked to a koodo agent who couldn’t fix the issue, but then he said he was going to try something. He turned my network off to test it, but now even though it says I am connected to koodo, I cannot make phone calls, still no mms and now no sms either. 

How do I fix this phone issue if I can’t schedule a call back because the phone doesn’t work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Help - I have this happening too since the 28th. I talked to a koodo agent who couldn’t fix the issue, but then he said he was going to try something. He turned my network off to test it, but now even though it says I am connected to koodo, I cannot make phone calls, still no mms and now no sms either. 

How do I fix this phone issue if I can’t schedule a call back because the phone doesn’t work?

What phone do you have?

Have you updated the OS?  Have you reset the APN?

What phone do you have?

Have you updated the OS?  Have you reset the APN?

My phone system as whole, software/os, apn, are all up to date appearing to be fine, I have 3 phones, one is a new Sony Xperia, one is an old blackberry q10, and one is a middle-aged samsung galaxy. 

Downdetector website and this koodo forum have said many people have had this issue this past week.

I had been on the phone with the agent until he said Okay I am going to try something. That was an hour ago, and even though the icon is up and the network is “working”, it is not. I can’t do anything network-related.  Prior to his “trying something” the calls worked (well obviously, since I was on with him). I can’t find any other 3G network to switch to / back to to test this, as I saw others with this issue switched to 3g then back to 4g which solved the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So with the equipment update, there are some customers who will be impacted.

Customers may be affected if:

• They haven’t installed the most recent software update
  • Their devices are no longer supported by manufacturers’ software updates
  • Their devices were purchased outside of Canada
  • Their devices haven’t been certified by Koodo

The samsung and blackberry sounds like it would be too old and will not work.  Was your Xperia a Canadian version?  If not, then it may not be compatible with Koodo’s upgraded equipment

@nm143 did you click on the Koodo link that above mentioned the changes to MMS?

Yes, I have read those links.

Seems everyone suggests checking APN settings. However, there appear to be a number of people with the correct settings and still no MMS.  If Koodo did indeed make some changes around Feb 28th then it seems those changes are the cause of the problem, at least for some of us.

Koodo’s statements about ‘customers may be affected if...’ isn’t particularly helpful.  The lists of compatible and incompatible phones doesn’t list every phone.  And I don’t quite understand why they would make a change that is incompatible with any modern phone.

For the record, my phone is a Blu Bold N1 (first released in late 2019) and is running Android 10.

Xperia is a Canadian version, has never had a problem in of itself, it is solely the data. The koodo rep keeps saying to change my APN settings to the exact same one already enlisted, sp.koodo.com , and I have no option to add a new one on any, supposedly which may be a carrier issue they blocked on my end. 

I can use data for the internet and sending/receiving emails with photos/docs etc with the wifi turned off. 

I can’t just switch phones because this problem is present on all. 

Sorry - a second rep texted me and said click the link to try to webpage without data- just the koodo site - and it worked when she first did it. Now when I click to go online, nothing loads at all now with data off.

damn sorry a third message - My network at the top now says TELUS not Koodo!

I ran into this issue too but starting on Feb 29th. I think Koodo may have pushed an APN reset through their network. 

The lines that I changed to get it back working were these ones:

MMS proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port: 8799

APN protocol: IPV4/IPV6

If you can get it working post it here for future reference and hopefully it will help someone else too. 

I’ve fixed this issue:

Mind you - I have a ghetto old 2016 Blackberry Q10. I slapped together my own os and chose my radio versions and removed all native apps / social links and installed my own .bar files to make it my own years ago.

I am unable at all to change the koodo-locked APN, it is just ‘sp.koodo.com’. That setting is in the About>Network area.

I went in to the text messaging settings and changed the MMS url from ‘sp.koodo.com’ to ‘http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc’.

*Next I changed the Proxy url from ‘74.49.0.18:80’ to ‘mmscproxy.mobility.ca:8799’.     80 and 8799 are port numbers, 8799 being the newest.                                                                                                                            *Don’t leave a space between the .ca part and the port number (8799). 

I rebooted and mms works again as it should.

My MMS messages (group and picture) had been working until the beginning of March.  Android 7 phone.  Changed APN settings and still not working. This is such a ground breaking update I can’t do group messages any longer?  Is there a server side fix? 

“Apparently after Feb 7 Koodo changed some things that wouldn’t allow me to send MMS messages. I followed the steps listed below and it still didn’t work. No suggestions on the koodo forum worked either. 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

As if a stroke of luck I figured it out for my phone (CAT S42) which is an android. If you haven’t been able to fix on your phone using these this is what I did.

Reset network settings.

Then follow steps on the link above… BUT instead of creating a new APN just go into the default one and change everything so it has the matching info from the link above.”

This worked for me.

In case it helps anyone else, when I added the new APN I did not delete the old and this appeared to be my issue as I found another similar post about data not working that mentioned ensuring there was only one APN profile. Once the old APN profile was deleted that solved it finally for me after turning off and back on my network connection. On a OnePlus phone. Best of luck to all.  

Any solutions for OnePlus 12 running android 14 , tried everything and no luck . Yet my Google Pixel 8 pro is fine with MMS , but its grayed out under APN so cant change only add another APN. 

OP12 just wont work with changes recommended , tried few different APN settings and nothing , everything else works fine.  

Hi Folks,

I figured I might as well get on the train since there doesn’t seem to be a lot of support specially as it seems this is a recent development. I recently (March 8th) purchased a new phone Ulefone Armor X13 running Android 13. After transferring my old phone to this one I was unable to receive or send MMS messaging right from the get go. I am using google messages which came default with the phone.

After troubleshooting all the recommendations here and numerous internet searching, I have come up empty. I am specifically unable to delete the existing APNs on the phone so it may be that the phone is still using the original APN even though the one I created is selected.

I am lucky that I am still able to return my phone since it seems (only an observation) that it is getting harder and hard to “bring your own phone” to a cell carrier that does not specifically support that brand.

I really like the idea and brand of the Armor series but MMS messaging is a big deal for me. Hopefully there is a fix soon!

Cheers

Hi Folks,

I figured I might as well get on the train since there doesn’t seem to be a lot of support specially as it seems this is a recent development. I recently (March 8th) purchased a new phone Ulefone Armor X13 running Android 13. After transferring my old phone to this one I was unable to receive or send MMS messaging right from the get go. I am using google messages which came default with the phone.

After troubleshooting all the recommendations here and numerous internet searching, I have come up empty. I am specifically unable to delete the existing APNs on the phone so it may be that the phone is still using the original APN even though the one I created is selected.

I am lucky that I am still able to return my phone since it seems (only an observation) that it is getting harder and hard to “bring your own phone” to a cell carrier that does not specifically support that brand.

I really like the idea and brand of the Armor series but MMS messaging is a big deal for me. Hopefully there is a fix soon!

Cheers

ulefone has been 0 help. They stopped responding when I told them what koodo did, and they say it isnt a problem with their phones, they say its a carrier issue since koodo is pushing the settings via the sim card and APN settings are locked out on my phone and cants be changed. Koodo customer service has also been useless and told me to spend $700 on a new phone (the cheapest one they sell) because i “cant get a cheaper phone unless I give up my black friday deal plan and pay $20 more per month”. i need mms and group messaging for work and I cant use it and cant afford $700 on a phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There have been many posts from folks who have got their MMS to work after some tinkering. I have tagged you on one of your other replies in another post 

**Update**

Hi Folks,

Last night I did some more troubleshooting. I switched my SIM card with my partners who is with Telus. MMS worked perfectly. I didn't reboot the phone or change any settings. This makes me believe it has everything to do with my SIM and carrier compared to settings of the messaging app, the messaging app itself, or the phone. Could be a combination but mainly the ladder.

I went to my local providers kiosk (they were a huge help but in the end no resolution). My original SIM card was from 2018. After replacing the SIM we had a couple of MMS messages send and receive. However they took a long time to send/load and this was through a combination of turning my Wi-Fi setting on and off. After more testing it got worse and I am back to square one and no longer able to send messages again. I have no idea why we had some of the messages work with Wi-Fi on and then that's stopped working and Wi-Fi had to be turned off to send, and then nothing at all.

If anyone has any additional info that may help me feel free to comment or direct message me! From here I will be thinking about changing providers since this could be an ongoing issue with other off brand phones or with google messenger regardless of the phone.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check out this post that we were able to eventually get Jasper’s MMS working again