Koodo Community
Solved

Lost MMS capabilities yet again!

• 16 January 2024
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello All,

Been a Koodo customer for a while and to be honest have found it to be a great service barring one issue. If you are bringing a non-Koodo phone (one not sold by them) you are SOL for pretty much anything.

To be more specific in my case MMS issues. Had a Oukitel K9 I brought over initially a few years back and all was well. Everything worked including Data, Internet and more importantly all MMS functions in texting.  One day MMS just stopped working, contacted Koodo support and they tried and tried and tried to get it back. Ended up with a Sorry but we don't support that phone officially.

Bought a Samsung from them and then a Motorola and all is well, no glitches.

Found a new phone I really wanted (Ulefone Armor 24), checked that it would work with the network and it looked good. Bought the phone, popped in my old SIM and it worked out of the box. Data, Internet and full MMS text functionality.

FOR A MONTH!

Last Saturday night, lost MMS functionality.

Spoke to Koodo and it was swear to god exactly the same as last time . . .

Lots of back and forth ending with sorry your phone is not officially supported.

This what gets me, my phone was working perfectly. There was no system update and yet just like before the MMS functionality dies.

So what gives? Does Koodo just not want other phones on the network? If so why do they advertise bring your own phone?

Beyond frustrated here!

PS, I did all the APN settings as required by Koodo, all the Network resets, the SIM was reset by them, the Messaging App purged and reinstalled and so on and so on and so on.

icon

Best answer by Mignola_Fan 16 January 2024, 16:51

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you share some screenshots of the APN settings that you are using?

Userlevel 1

Using these as posted by Koodo

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes you will always get “not officially supported” so if something happens...that’s kinda it. When you say network resets, did you also delete and create a new APN?

Userlevel 1

Yep, did exactly that, a network reset and created a new APN,

Still no luck

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I saw you are using a dual SIM phone, Was data allowed on the Koodo SIM? can you remove the other SIM card and keep only the Koodo SIM and see if that can help ?

Userlevel 1

I saw you are using a dual SIM phone, Was data allowed on the Koodo SIM? can you remove the other SIM card and keep only the Koodo SIM and see if that can help ?

Data was/is allowed on the Koodo SIM

Removing other SIM didn’t resolve issue, thank you though 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Data was/is allowed on the Koodo SIM

Removing other SIM didn’t resolve issue, thank you though 

What was the error when you can’t send/receive MMS? and which message app are you using? can you down load the message app from Google store app to test?

Userlevel 1

Am using the Google Message app, it came standard on the phone. 

No error other than a failure to sent message.

Could not send/receive any pictures or gifs.  Text/Emoji only.

Basically text and zero MMS capability

Userlevel 1

So Success! (🤞 at least for now 🤞)

Managed to restore MMS functionality 😀

1. Network Reset, did nothing to the APN other than this

2. Turned off RCS, not sure if it matters but mine is turned off

3. Turned network preference from 4G to 3G

Started getting backlogged MMS data (images/gifs) and now it seems to be working fine.

3G speeds were pretty slow, toggled back to 4G and it worked keeping MMS functionality intact.

No idea how or why this worked? Really don't think this is a proper fix but happy to have functionality again.

Not just your phone’s MMS stopped working.  My OnePlus Nord N20 and my son in laws Oneplus Nord N30 both had MMS stop working on Friday/Saturday.  We have been unable to get them working again, trying APN settings as well as the fix above. 

I see google did a messages app update on Friday Jan 12, 2024 and people are complaining in the app reviews that the update broke their MMS as well.

MMS works fine on my wifes Pixel 7 bought from Koodo.

Looks like a combination of phone manufacturer/app update/carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not just your phone’s MMS stopped working.  My OnePlus Nord N20 and my son in laws Oneplus Nord N30 both had MMS stop working on Friday/Saturday.  We have been unable to get them working again, trying APN settings as well as the fix above. 

I see google did a messages app update on Friday Jan 12, 2024 and people are complaining in the app reviews that the update broke their MMS as well.

Have you tried to turn off RCS? The OP did that as well. RCS might the culprit as MMS issue showed error differently. 

Have you tried to turn off RCS? The OP did that as well. RCS might the culprit as MMS issue showed error differently. 

Yes I tried that.  When I checked my Wife’s working pixel, her messages app was last updated on Dec 7, 2023 with no updates available.  It’s looking like the update on Jan 12 broke something between the app/phone OS/Carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes I tried that.  When I checked my Wife’s working pixel, her messages app was last updated on Dec 7, 2023 with no updates available.  It’s looking like the update on Jan 12 broke something between the app/phone OS/Carrier.

Can you turn off RCS everywhere, including the pixel 7? Reset network setting of both phones if possible?

As well, which error did you see? Was it RCS or MMS? firmware issue is possible but that was the most difficult one to fix as you might have to reset everything

I have been having similar issues on my OnePlus 11 where MMS stopped working on Feb 7. I had received an email prior from Koodo stating this may happen and linking to the APN settings on the website. They didn’t work. After some digging and trying many different settings I found the following to work. Hopefully this will help someone else as well.

Koodo Mobile APN settings for Android - Canada APN settings - APN.how

Userlevel 1

Sadly lost MMS capabilities right around the same time and yes, Koodo’s recommendations did not solve the issue.

Right now kinda ticked off, had it working and yet again it stopped.  It’s not a Google Messanges related issue either, tried other Texting apps and same issue.

Wish there was a proper solution, this is getting old!

Userlevel 1

@ fries02

Thanks for the post, sadly didn’t solve my issue still w/o MMS capability

Beyond frustrating at this point.  It was working when first connected to Koodo, then stopped, got it back working and then stopped again.

If I didn’t know better would say Koodo only allows Koodo sold phones to fully operate on their network . . .

Userlevel 1

As an aside, bought a SpeakOut SIM (7-11 Pay as you go plan on the Rogers network), added a data plan to it and rebooted the Armor 24.

Guess what? Perfect MMS functionality w/o fiddling with anything. TBH was kinda surprised but it works w/o a hitch.

Have to say while I've got a great plan with Koodo (ridiculous amount of data for the $$$) their inability to solve my MMS issue is beyond frustrating.

I had the same issue a month ago and again this past weekend. (Oneplus10 pro)

First time mucking around with the APN got it working. This time I reset APN to factory, then changed to the above APN. Nothing.

My RCS was already off, but I toggled it on, had it connect, then turned it off and everything came back. All's working great so far.

Hope this helps someone else.

I think its best I put in a complaint to the CRTC for bricking our phones. There is 0 reason my phone shouldnt work. I pay for MMS service in the contract, i should have access to use it. Something koodo did with an update on the 28th broke the mms capability

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your phone is not bricked.

here are details of the MMS change

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/picturemessagingchanges

yes it is. The settings are locked and cannot be edited. Regardless, all the settings are the same as what are in my phone, and it doesnt work. It’s bricked for MMS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is your phone older than 7 years old? 

Have you updated the OS? 

Have you reset the APN? 

I think its best I put in a complaint to the CRTC for bricking our phones. There is 0 reason my phone shouldnt work. I pay for MMS service in the contract, i should have access to use it. Something koodo did with an update on the 28th broke the mms capability

My MMS messages also stopped working within the past couple days.  I am unable to send or receive MMS messages.  I have tried the usual suggestions, reset the APN with the latest settings, but nothing has resolved the problem.  Did Koodo make some sort of update on the 28th? That would seem to coincide with when my problems started as well.