Koodo Community
Question

koodo - gps????????????????????????

• 12 July 2022
  • 8 replies

does koodo have any phones with gps built in????????????????????????????????

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Pretty much all modern smartphones from Apple, Google, Samsung, and the other Android vendors support GPS. They link with the Maps applications on the phones to show your location and do the other usual things you would use GPS for. You should expect that all of the smartphones available through Koodo include GPS capabilities.

Thanks swotam, I just think that GPS rating should be included in any phone spec published by manufacturer, carrier or whoever - I just don’t understand why it is so difficult to find out. For example Koodo sells a Galaxy S20 FE 5G - but neither Koodo or Samsung say anything about the possibility of or how to load up a GPS Navigation type application. For an old guy like me who is fairly computer literate but has never had a smart phone this is very frustrating. 

Thanks swotam, I just think that GPS rating should be included in any phone spec published by manufacturer, carrier or whoever - I just don’t understand why it is so difficult to find out. For example Koodo sells a Galaxy S20 FE 5G - but neither Koodo or Samsung say anything about the possibility of or how to load up a GPS Navigation type application. For an old guy like me who is fairly computer literate but has never had a smart phone this is very frustrating. 

You can assume these days that it’s a default feature on all phones. For Apple phones there is an Apple Maps app that is pre-installed and allows you to search for an address, get turn by turn directions, etc. Android phones (Samsung, HTC, Google, etc) offer the same functionality using the Google Maps app which is installed on those phones.

All offer the same sort of functionality as you would get with a dedicated standalone GPS device, but with more convenience. There is no need for installing a GPS Navigation application unless you are planning to travel to an area where you wouldn’t have cellular data service (which is required for the phone to load the maps).

In general, unless you will be travelling far off the beaten path to areas where there is no cellular service, or frequently traveling to foreign countries where you will intentionally not have cellular data service, a standalone GPS app would not be necessary.

With regard to you never owning a smartphone before, if that is the case then you may wish to consider an Apple iPhone. Having worked with both Apple and Android devices over the years, I would argue that the Apple devices are simpler for less tech-savvy users to deal with out of the box (in my opinion).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Samsung has those details on their website☺️
https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-s20/specs/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://wego.here.com

I haven’t bothered getting a smartphone until now because I spend a lot of time online with a notebook computer on the North American stock markets and doing research on may types of sites - so did not want to spend more time on a computer like device. However, now auto insurance and registration, control of credit cards, access to locked gates / doors etc are all more easily dealt with on smart phones. I can’t be the only person in Canada that would like to have this information more readily available - before actually buying a smartphone and hoping that it has this capability. I have looked at several web sites this morning and several say generally what you are saying but it is all very vague with a lot of these sites saying that it depends on the exact  model.  I previously bought a TCL smart flip phone through Koodo to replace my old LG non-smart flip phone and soon learned that it was less functional than the LG - I was unable to access any sites on the internet that I needed or my credit card etc because it wasn’t an Android system device and the contact list program was extremely user unfriendly and lacked information capabilities that I need. Also, it is easier to text / type with the old LG than with the supposed newer better TCL. So I am just trying to avoid wasting a bunch more time again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I provided a link above to Samsungs website that shows it has GPS. I can also speak from personal experience that the S20fe has it so you are good!

Thanks Allan M,

I googled Galaxy S20 FE 5G specs and never got to that website.