Koodo Community
Question

wifi issues

Can anyone explain why this keeps happening?

My phone is connected to wifi. I'm sitting with 3 other people who are with koodo and connected to the same wifi and aren't having any issues but my phone is defaulting to data saying it will reconnect to wifi when the network quality improves. But when I turn off my data then the wifi connects and there is no issues with the network quality as it works perfectly fine. As soon as I turn the data back on it won't connect to the wifi again stating again that it will connect with the network quality improves. 

Just some background I have a Samsung A32 that has had ongoing issues since day 1. I have spent numerous hours talking to koodo tech support, my phones been sent to koodo to be fixed and it's been sent to Samsung to be fixed. Both times it was sent away I was told there's no issues but it comes back with the same issues. 

Any helpful insight is appreciated. 

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did it happen only to that location or it happened whenever you went to other places?

also, how strong is the wifi signal in your house? Was there any partitions between you and the wifi router?

It happens in multiple locations so things like wifi signal and where I am in proximity to the routers differs. And I also don't see why that would matter much when the people I'm sitting with who are also with koodo, connected to the same wifi, and have their data on too aren't having the same issues. 

This issues is also random. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. There is no rhyme or reason as to why it happens. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It happens in multiple locations so things like wifi signal and where I am in proximity to the routers differs. And I also don't see why that would matter much when the people I'm sitting with who are also with koodo, connected to the same wifi, and have their data on too aren't having the same issues. 

This issues is also random. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. There is no rhyme or reason as to why it happens. 

As you already sent the phone to Koodo, I assumed you did try to reset the phone to its factory default and tested. Have you tried to reset network settings of the phone?

Regarding the phones wifi signal, different phones have different design and antennas .The A32 is an entry level phone and might not have the best antenna in it. Also software could be a problem. Have you updated your phone to its latest firmware? If you were using a phone case, make sure the case wasn’t a factor that hindered wifi strength. 

There is also a possibility that there was an issue with the hardware but as you couldn’t replicate all the time (and Koodo couldn’t it either). I suggest you monitor the issue. If it is getting worse, ask Koodo to check it again for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does your router support 5G (Wi-Fi)?

Another possibility is the number of people on the router. The more people that join the Wi-Fi network, the lesser the bandwidth for each device. If the router is equipped with a 5G (5 GHz) option, try switching to that mode instead. There’s usually less congestion/interference in that mode versus the more commonly used 2.4 GHz mode. Your Samsung Galaxy A32 supports 2.4 GHz and 5G (5 GHz) Wi-Fi.

The only drawback to 5G Wi-Fi is that its signal lacks range compared to 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. If you’re in proximity to the router, range becomes less of a factor.