Koodo Community
Question

Slow Data Connection although speed is more than decent

• 4 September 2023
  • 3 replies

So it’s been a couple of days now trying out Koodo after porting from Rogers. Talk and text is working great, but I’m finding data is a little sluggish and not as snappy as before. For example images on Instagram load one by one, FaceTime/YouTube buffers, and webpages take longer to populate.

What’s odd is after doing some speed tests, I was getting around 150 mbps down which should be more than enough. I also went to different locations to test the network and even with full bars, data would still feel slow. I already tried resetting my phone’s network settings and toggling from 5G to LTE, but not much of a difference…

I’m currently using an iPhone 14 Pro and Koodo e-SIM.

Assistance on this would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you had 150MB/s, it isn’t slow. The other number you would look for is the “ping” (the smaller the better). Normally for cellular network, it is around 25-30ms.

Another factor could be 5G of Rogers network. 5G in some cases provided more bandwidth compared to LTE. I assumed you were on a normal 4G plan?

That’s why I’m a little confused @Dinh. When I do a speed test everything looks fine, but when I start browsing or loading apps things are taking longer to populate. I was on 5G with Rogers before and switched to Koodo’s latest 5G plan. Both plans have the same speed caps of 250 mbps, so technically there shouldn’t be much of a difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was indeed strange. I would try to reset network settings again to see if it can help anything. Check the carrier settings in the settings to see if it was set properly. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

You could also ask for a network reset from Koodo end to see if it can help anything  but that would involve a rep.