Koodo Community
Question

no response call timed out

• 22 February 2023
  • 42 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

42 replies

I found a workaround for my TCL 20 Pro 5G.

The android app is called  “5G Switch - Force 5G Only”

In actuality you can force 4G.   I selected TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.  This works for me at the moment.  The TCL lets you choose 4G in settings but kept just quickly bounced back to LTE.  This solved it.  Good luck everyone!

i tried that app on my phone it works thank you for sharing it i can use my phone probaly again as normal. it says top of my phone 4G 

Thank you so much for all the comments in this thread!! I downloaded the app to force 4g in my phone and now it's working again!! 

What a pain the butt this whole upgrade has been, I really hope that Koodo and TCL realize the damage to their customer base they've created with this very poor roll out…

As others have said, once this phones paid for and I am due for another, I'm changing service providers and phone brands 🤣

Your welcome.  Yeah i thought TCL will never fix the issue i hope they fix it sooner who knows when i went to koodo it's just driving me in circles i was going to Change my phone they told me i have to pay $400 altogether i don't think so but they also told me its a sim card issue i got new one they test it they said it works making calls i go home it didn't work 

Userlevel 2

Thank you so much for all the comments in this thread!! I downloaded the app to force 4g in my phone and now it's working again!! 

What a pain the butt this whole upgrade has been, I really hope that Koodo and TCL realize the damage to their customer base they've created with this very poor roll out…

As others have said, once this phones paid for and I am due for another, I'm changing service providers and phone brands 🤣

Glad to have been of help.  😁

Userlevel 2

Your welcome.  Yeah i thought TCL will never fix the issue i hope they fix it sooner who knows when i went to koodo it's just driving me in circles i was going to Change my phone they told me i have to pay $400 altogether i don't think so but they also told me its a sim card issue i got new one they test it they said it works making calls i go home it didn't work 

Yip, the circles.  LOL  I didn’t even ponder that route.  Spent a few hours with the mindset “We’re gonna fix this ourselves”.  Low and behold our TCLs are no longer paper weights.  😁

Userlevel 1

I had a sneaking suspicion that it was related to 5g option. The upgrade removed some options where one could select 4g or 3g. I did not know android apps were there to select network type to override OS selection.

Strangely I tried using Rogers sim and the issue did not occur. If tcl had this issue on other 5g providers there would a lot more info on internet. So this is on both Koodo and TCL on how they have rolled out 5g and this patch.

Thanks to Dmans fix now phone is working fine.

Userlevel 2

I had a sneaking suspicion that it was related to 5g option. The upgrade removed some options where one could select 4g or 3g. I did not know android apps were there to select network type to override OS selection.

Strangely I tried using Rogers sim and the issue did not occur. If tcl had this issue on other 5g providers there would a lot more info on internet. So this is on both Koodo and TCL on how they have rolled out 5g and this patch.

Thanks to Dmans fix now phone is working fine.

You’re welcome dude!   Yeah, throwing in another sim from a different provider works.  

Userlevel 1

I’m very glad that I found this thread. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this one out. It definitely started since the last Android update. Incoming calls are fine and the phone can maintain a call once established. I have tried factory reset but since it does not revert the phone to the OS before Android 12, it has the same issue. I also tried switching the SIM card to another phone and the SIM card makes call just fine. It’s a very consistent problem.

The issue is with dialing out. It will only ring one or two times and if the receiving contact does not answer the phone within those one or two rings, the outgoing call drops and displays “no response, timed out.” If you’re dialing a number with an automated answering machine, you also won’t notice the issue as the call will “catch” immediately.

Koodo told me over the phone that because the phone is still under warranty, any Koodo or Telus store would be able to repair or replace it, but once I paid them a visit I was told that this is a problem with a phone and I need to contact TCL. I’ve not yet opened that can of worms but have about a month and a half of warrantry remaining to do so. I don’t have high expectations there especially since this is related to their update and is a problrem they created remotely.

The interesting thing that I discovered today is that it is able to dial to certin numbers normally. From what I can tell those numbers have all been landlines. It seems to have an issue dialing to other mobile devices. I consider myself lucky since I have a work phone that I can make calls from if needed, and also that the phone wasn’t bricked like some others have experienced. Hoping that they can release another update to fix this, provided that doesn’t create more problems.

It’s a network issue. Has happened with other carriers over the years where an update introduces an incompatibility with a network for various phone models.   Just use the app I posted from Google Play Store and it takes 2 clicks to set up and fix the problem.   You select your Android version.  In this case Vers. 11+  then click on TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.  Everything will work normally.  It takes 3 seconds.  Look at my above post.  Your phone is fine.  

How to make the network selection persist after reboot. Seems like the app settings are lost after reboot and we have to do the same process again on reboot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How to make the network selection persist after reboot. Seems like the app settings are lost after reboot and we have to do the same process again on reboot.

When using the USSD code *#*#4636#*#* this would permanently set the preferred network type even after a restart or reboot. The app ‘5G Switch - Force 5G Only’ allows access to this code as some phones no longer support the service mode code. It looks like you will have to go back into the app and set up the preferred network type again. 

I’m using Hidden Settings by Oalex. This may not be compatible with newer phones with Android 11+. I have tested the app and the preferred network type remains intact after a restart or reboot. The same goes for Force LTE Only (4G/5G). The network type I chose was LTE/UMTS auto (PRL) or LTE/WCDMA.

Hidden Settings | Oalex - click on RadioInfo (if visible) to set the preferred network type.

Force LTE Only (4G/5G) - is another option that is compatible with Android 11+.

Userlevel 1

Well as of this morning my phone has prompted me for another update (v4.0 5efo). It doesn’t list anything under “what’s new?” It could be to address this issue but it’s not stated anywhere as far as I can tell. Has anyone taken the plunge yet? Don’t really want to update after what happened last time.

Userlevel 1

Well as of this morning my phone has prompted me for another update (v4.0 5efo). It doesn’t list anything under “what’s new?” It could be to address this issue but it’s not stated anywhere as far as I can tell. Has anyone taken the plunge yet? Don’t really want to update after what happened last time.

My phone was running out of warranty in a few days, and the fix of using some app was causing other issues like the Sim would stop getting recognized and needed to eject the sim to restore network.

Hence I sent my phone under warranty repaid and cannot test this update.

BTW koodo store rep was saying the device was under warranty for 2 years but if i google the warranty for TCL it says only 1 year.  Anyone knows if the warrant is for 1 year or 2 years.

Userlevel 1

My phone was running out of warranty in a few days, and the fix of using some app was causing other issues like the Sim would stop getting recognized and needed to eject the sim to restore network.

Hence I sent my phone under warranty repaid and cannot test this update.

BTW koodo store rep was saying the device was under warranty for 2 years but if i google the warranty for TCL it says only 1 year.  Anyone knows if the warrant is for 1 year or 2 years.

Manufacturer warranty is 1 year, but the original issue reported in this thread didn’t indicate a device malfunction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does it mention the size of the update in MB or GB? 

Do you currently have Android 12 version v4.0.5EF4?

You should be able to find the Android version number in Settings > About Device or Phone. Smaller update sizes are often security patches and bug fixes.

Userlevel 1

Does it mention the size of the update in MB or GB? 

Do you currently have Android 12 version v4.0.5EF4?

You should be able to find the Android version number in Settings > About Device or Phone. Smaller update sizes are often security patches and bug fixes.

Hey rikkster,

Yes it's a 429mb update. Yes to your second question as well. I don't recall what the size was for the last major update to compare it against or what is considered large vs. small in terms of phone updates. Might hold off until there's some more info available from user feedback since things are currently stable!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey rikkster,

Yes it's a 429mb update. Yes to your second question as well. I don't recall what the size was for the last major update to compare it against or what is considered large vs. small in terms of phone updates. Might hold off until there's some more info available from user feedback since things are currently stable!

The second question was to compare Android software versions. If you have version v4.0.5EF4, I’m not sure why this update would be numbered v4.0.5EF0, unless this was an update TCL forgot to push earlier on. Agreed, I would wait until there’s more info available.

v4.0.5EF0 that I got this morning, fixed the issue. Thank God!

Userlevel 1

v4.0.5EF0 that I got this morning, fixed the issue. Thank God!

Yep, can confirm the update addressed the issue! Thanks!