Koodo Community
Question

no response call timed out

• 22 February 2023
  • 42 replies

Hi does anyone here have a TCL 20S pro that did the update recently it did mine and my husband automatically overnight and for the past week he cant do any outside calls after 2 rings it hangs up and says no response call timed out I went to Telus technical solutions I have done 2 factory resets nothing works has anyone had the same issue ? 

This topic has been closed for comments

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is yours okay, just his is having issues?

Both phones

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you tried resetting your phones’ network settings?

Go to Settings > System - choose Reset and select Network settings reset. Tap RESET SETTINGS, tap RESET SETTINGS again, to confirm. Try making some test calls to see if this has resolved the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As mentioned in another post in French forum, if it was issue with firmware, and you already did the factory reset, you have to contact Koodo ask technical support to find out the solution. Have you tried to contact them yet?

Yes I have contracted them supposed to get a call back tomorrow but they don't seem to have a solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes I have contracted them supposed to get a call back tomorrow but they don't seem to have a solution

I recommend you wait for them to check. If they can't help, you might want to keep the record of the conversation (time/date/Techical support comment) and ask them to repair the phone for you (I assumed the phone was under warranty?)

I have the exact same problem since the update with the same phone.

Me too same issue.

Did Factory Reset, turn off 5G, still the issue.

Running TCL UI V4.0.5

Userlevel 2

I found a workaround for my TCL 20 Pro 5G.

The android app is called  “5G Switch - Force 5G Only”

In actuality you can force 4G.   I selected TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.  This works for me at the moment.  The TCL lets you choose 4G in settings but kept just quickly bounced back to LTE.  This solved it.  Good luck everyone!

Userlevel 2

Me too same issue.

Did Factory Reset, turn off 5G, still the issue.

Running TCL UI V4.0.5

Yeah I was banging my head against the wall over this.   Real pain in the butt.  Hope the network gets this resolved.   The above workaround I posted does the job for now and really simple.

I also got the TLC PRO 20 5G. They more or less bricked my phone with this last update, that it didn't need! Go figure, right when I only got two more Tab payments, my phone is rendered into this POS! What if I have to call 911, and it times out, and I have to make the call again, in order for it to connect? This is unnacpetable, bullcrap!

Userlevel 1

I’m very glad that I found this thread. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this one out. It definitely started since the last Android update. Incoming calls are fine and the phone can maintain a call once established. I have tried factory reset but since it does not revert the phone to the OS before Android 12, it has the same issue. I also tried switching the SIM card to another phone and the SIM card makes call just fine. It’s a very consistent problem.

The issue is with dialing out. It will only ring one or two times and if the receiving contact does not answer the phone within those one or two rings, the outgoing call drops and displays “no response, timed out.” If you’re dialing a number with an automated answering machine, you also won’t notice the issue as the call will “catch” immediately.

Koodo told me over the phone that because the phone is still under warranty, any Koodo or Telus store would be able to repair or replace it, but once I paid them a visit I was told that this is a problem with a phone and I need to contact TCL. I’ve not yet opened that can of worms but have about a month and a half of warranty remaining to do so. I don’t have high expectations there especially since this is related to their update and is a problem that they created remotely.

The interesting thing that I discovered today is that it is able to dial to certin numbers normally. From what I can tell those numbers have all been landlines. It seems to have an issue dialing to other mobile devices. I consider myself lucky since I have a work phone that I can make calls from if needed, and also that the phone wasn’t bricked like some others have experienced. Hoping that they can release another update to fix this, provided that doesn’t create more problems. I won’t be buying another TCL phone again after this, that’s for sure. That promo at the time seemed too good to be true.

Userlevel 2

I’m very glad that I found this thread. I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure this one out. It definitely started since the last Android update. Incoming calls are fine and the phone can maintain a call once established. I have tried factory reset but since it does not revert the phone to the OS before Android 12, it has the same issue. I also tried switching the SIM card to another phone and the SIM card makes call just fine. It’s a very consistent problem.

The issue is with dialing out. It will only ring one or two times and if the receiving contact does not answer the phone within those one or two rings, the outgoing call drops and displays “no response, timed out.” If you’re dialing a number with an automated answering machine, you also won’t notice the issue as the call will “catch” immediately.

Koodo told me over the phone that because the phone is still under warranty, any Koodo or Telus store would be able to repair or replace it, but once I paid them a visit I was told that this is a problem with a phone and I need to contact TCL. I’ve not yet opened that can of worms but have about a month and a half of warrantry remaining to do so. I don’t have high expectations there especially since this is related to their update and is a problrem they created remotely.

The interesting thing that I discovered today is that it is able to dial to certin numbers normally. From what I can tell those numbers have all been landlines. It seems to have an issue dialing to other mobile devices. I consider myself lucky since I have a work phone that I can make calls from if needed, and also that the phone wasn’t bricked like some others have experienced. Hoping that they can release another update to fix this, provided that doesn’t create more problems.

It’s a network issue. Has happened with other carriers over the years where an update introduces an incompatibility with a network for various phone models.   Just use the app I posted from Google Play Store and it takes 2 clicks to set up and fix the problem.   You select your Android version.  In this case Vers. 11+  then click on TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.  Everything will work normally.  It takes 3 seconds.  Look at my above post.  Your phone is fine.  

Userlevel 1

You sir are a genius. I did see your comment previously and got the app but wasn’t clear on how to navigate. I suspected that this may have been carrier-device related since I haven’t seen anyone else with other carriers reporting the issue. Hopefully the network settings save but if not, no big deal to change it back.

Userlevel 2

You sir are a genius. I did see your comment previously and got the app but wasn’t clear on how to navigate. I suspected that this may have been carrier-device related since I haven’t seen anyone else with other carriers reporting the issue. Hopefully the network settings save but if not, no big deal to change it back.

You’ll see it says 4G on the top of your phone screen now at all times.  It’s theoretically faster too sometimes than LTE which is a hybrid 3G/4G thing.  Setting will stick unless you power off or restart your phone.   In that case just run the app again and click on those 2  things and you’re fine.    

In actuality you can force 4G.   I selected TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA.  This works for me at the moment.  The TCL lets you choose 4G in settings but kept just quickly bounced back to LTE.  This solved it.  Good luck everyone!

Thank you very much for this! I'm now able to at least use my phone again normally.

Userlevel 2

Thank you very much for this! I'm now able to at least use my phone again normally.

You’re most welcome!

Userlevel 2

As a final note, this is all Linux based stuff (Android).  If you muck around enough for a few hours you can figure out solutions for most things.  So many talented folks in the community.  Warms the heart to see that people can use this information to not rely on a clueless CSR to give a straight answer.  They don’t have ‘em.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the dialled Service Mode code still works *#*#4636#*#* this allows you to set a preferred network type/mode without an app. Dial the code from your phone, then press call/send, (on some phones, the window may open automatically without pressing call/send). Tap Phone Information, then scroll down and tap Set Preferred Network Type. 

Select, WCDMA Only. This prevents your phone from scanning for other non-existent networks and saves a slight amount of battery usage. Your phone will never revert to LTE and a device restart will not change the network type preference.

If or when TCL decides to deliver an update for this issue, you will have to manually switch back to LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto) or whatever your phone was set to previously. 

If the code *#*#4636#*#* does not work, Hidden Android Settings is an app in the Play Store that takes the place of the *#*#4636#*#* code. After installing the app, scroll down and tap RadioInfo. Tap, Set Preferred Network Type and choose WCDMA Only. This network type covers 4G and 3G.

Hidden Android Settings | App

Userlevel 2

If the dialled Service Mode code still works *#*#4636#*#* this allows you to set a preferred network type/mode without an app. Dial the code from your phone, then press call/send, (on some phones, the window will open automatically without pressing call/send). Tap Phone Information, then scroll down and tap Set Preferred Network Type. 

Select, WCDMA Only. This prevents your phone from scanning for other non-existent networks and saves a slight amount of battery usage. Your phone will never revert to LTE and a device restart will not change the network type preference.

If or when TCL decides to deliver an update for this issue, you will have to manually switch back to LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto) or whatever your phone was set to previously. 

If the code *#*#4636#*#* does not work, Hidden Android Settings is an app in the Play Store that takes the place of the *#*#4636#*#* code. After installing the app, scroll down and tap RadioInfo. Tap, Set Preferred Network Type and choose WCDMA only. This network type covers 4G and 3G.

I agree with the battery usage.  Your’re speaking over the heads of regular folk bud.  You do have a good grasp of it.  You take over this dude!  :)    

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree with the battery usage.  Your’re speaking over the heads of regular folk bud.  You do have a good grasp of it.  You take over this dude!  :)    

Not at all. You found a workaround that most can easily download that fixes the issue for now. Awesome find! You’re well-versed in this stuff as well! If someone else comes across this topic, they’ll simply have another option to try out if they want. 🙂

Userlevel 2

Aye.  

Userlevel 1

As a final note, this is all Linux based stuff (Android).  If you muck around enough for a few hours you can figure out solutions for most things.  So many talented folks in the community.  Warms the heart to see that people can use this information to not rely on a clueless CSR to give a straight answer.  They don’t have ‘em.  

I meant to thank you earlier, so thank you very much. This was driving me nuts. My assigned Koodo agent was supposed to call me back today at 4pm to check in after the various stores and “Mobile Klinik” blamed the phone, but never called. I’ve been waiting almost a month for other users to start noticing this issue and it seems as though Koodo needs to take note. When I bought this phone it was their most promoted device, so I’d assume that there are a good number of folks out there experiencing the same thing right now.

Userlevel 2

I meant to thank you earlier, so thank you very much. This was driving me nuts. My assigned Koodo agent was supposed to call me back today at 4pm to check in after the various stores and “Mobile Klinik” blamed the phone, but never called. I’ve been waiting almost a month for other users to start noticing this issue and it seems as though Koodo needs to take note. When I bought this phone it was their most promoted device, so I’d assume that there are a good number of folks out there experiencing the same thing right now.

You’re most welcome.  I was very surprised there wasn’t more of an online uproar over this.  Now with Rikkster’s workaround we have even more options.  

I can’t imagine how many customers are affected by this and the frustration involved.  This thread on the subject is great and I hope more come to read it before abandoning their TCL and forking out more $ for nothing.

Userlevel 1

If the dialled Service Mode code still works *#*#4636#*#* this allows you to set a preferred network type/mode without an app. Dial the code from your phone, then press call/send, (on some phones, the window may open automatically without pressing call/send). Tap Phone Information, then scroll down and tap Set Preferred Network Type. 

If the code *#*#4636#*#* does not work, Hidden Android Settings is an app in the Play Store that takes the place of the *#*#4636#*#* code. After installing the app, scroll down and tap RadioInfo. Tap, Set Preferred Network Type and choose WCDMA Only. This network type covers 4G and 3G.

Thank you as well rikkster. It seems we have a Koodo rep lurking here who liked your suggestion too.