Koodo Community
Question

How to add or edit APN on Razer Phone 2?

• 3 November 2023
  • 10 replies

I have received messages from Koodo saying that I need to update the APN settings on my phone in order to remain compatible with group and picture messaging service.  However, I am using a Razer Phone 2 and there seems to be no way to edit or add a new APN on my device.  I followed the instructions provided by Koodo and I can see my current APN but there is no option to make changes or add a new one.

Can anybody help with this?  I’m hoping I don’t have to switch to a new phone as I bought it less than 3 years ago and certainly wasn’t expecting to have to replace it already.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you get to the list of APNs you should be able to just tap on whichever one you want to edit to take you to another screen to edit them.

I also came across an article that the phone may grey out the APN settings, in which case removing the sim card allowed the user to edit the APN settings.

Hello Allan M.  Thanks for your response!  On my Razer Phone 2 the APN settings are completely greyed out and I am unable to edit them.  I tried removing the sim card but unfortunately the settings remained greyed out and still won’t allow me to tap on any of them to make changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is the phone from Koodo/Telus originally? Can you try to delete the greyed one? 

I assumed you reset network settings of the phone already?

My phone was not from Koodo/Telus originally, no.  It was an unlocked Razer Phone 2 which I purchased on eBay.  In the APN menu there is no option to delete my current Koodo APN, nor can I edit any of the field values when I tap on them as they are all greyed out.  The only option it gives me in the APN menu is “Reset to default” which I tried but it didn’t seem to do anything.

I will try resetting the network settings, but there was no mention of this in the instructions sent to me by Koodo for adding a new APN.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My phone was not from Koodo/Telus originally, no.  It was an unlocked Razer Phone 2 which I purchased on eBay.  In the APN menu there is no option to delete my current Koodo APN, nor can I edit any of the field values when I tap on them as they are all greyed out.  The only option it gives me in the APN menu is “Reset to default” which I tried but it didn’t seem to do anything.

I will try resetting the network settings, but there was no mention of this in the instructions sent to me by Koodo for adding a new APN.

An Unlocked phone should allow you to change the APN. Do you have another phone to test out the Koodo sim to make sure it worked properly? 

Koodo did have a webpage for APN settings https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Hi Dinh, thanks for another response to my query.  I did try resetting the network settings but it had no effect on my ability to add or edit an APN.

I'm pretty certain my phone is unlocked, however I have only ever used it with Koodo.  I added a screenshot of my network selection options which is showing other carriers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From the screenshot, you had Koodo LTE+ data connection already. I assumed you have cellular data connection and MMS? 

If the phone, for whatever reason, do not allow you to edit, it could be issue with existing firmware.

Yes, my phone has had service with Koodo as long as I’ve owned it, and data/MMS has been working well.  The issue is that Koodo sent me a message recently saying due to changes with their network I need to manually update my APN settings to remain compatible with picture and group messaging.

I was wondering if it may be related to a firmware issue with the phone.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer (Razer Inc.) ceased all support for the phone at some point.  Their last firmware update was released in February 2021 and I’m still on Android 9.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, my phone has had service with Koodo as long as I’ve owned it, and data/MMS has been working well.  The issue is that Koodo sent me a message recently saying due to changes with their network I need to manually update my APN settings to remain compatible with picture and group messaging.

I was wondering if it may be related to a firmware issue with the phone.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer (Razer Inc.) ceased all support for the phone at some point.  Their last firmware update was released in February 2021 and I’m still on Android 9.

I think their system sent sms out based on your phone imei and model.  If everything works normally, I would let it be as you wouldn't be able to change it. 

You could try to reset the phone to its default factory settings to see if that can help. However you would lose time to setup everything back and might not worth it.

Koodo sent me both sms and email saying my device was identified as needing the manual APN update in order to maintain picture and group messaging service.

Everything is still working normally for now, but Koodo said the changes to their network are coming into effect the end of 2023.  So, at that time I expect I will lose sms function without being able to make the APN update on my phone.  If I can’t find a solution by that time, I will have to decide whether to buy a new phone or leave Koodo.

Thank-you Dinh, for all of your suggestions thus far.