Koodo Community
Question

46 GB used in one day? Unexplained/impossible data usage! Who can show me what this was used on?

• 26 June 2023
  • 3 replies

On June 23rd my data usage skyrocketed! This is impossible. As you can see I use less than 200 MB a day on average, but on this day it is recorded that I used over 46,000?! The bulk of which is recorded at 8am, when I was driving to work? I am never careful with my data and have never come close to using my entire 50 GB, last month I used 8.4 GB and the month before I used 5.1 GB.  I had a call back and was told that Koodo can’t see what my data was used on, they then referred me to apple. Apple told me they can only see what is using the battery and told me to call Koodo! I am irritated I am being messed around and just want to figure out what happened here so that it doesn’t happen again. I would appreciate advice on where to find answers/what to do. 

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Honestly that looks like either a rogue or buggy app.  A rogue app might be continuously streaming you ads without you being aware, in order to get paid for ad impressions.  A buggy app might get stuck in a loop trying to sync/download updated data.  

This is an older article but might still be helpful: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/22/see-how-much-data-apps-are-using/.  Sorry I’m not an iPhone guy so can’t be more helpful than that.  Koodo and Apple are both correct that they can’t tell you what app(s) were using up your data, but your phone should be able to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can see what app uses how much data if you go to Settings > Cellular or Settings > Mobile Data

If you reset your data info here regularly you will have a better idea what app used this data.  From the size I want to say it was either an update or an app with something stuck and it constantly resending or redownloading (this happened to me when a gif errored and got stuck and it kept looping to redownload and it used a tone of data in an hour).

In the mean time i suggest while you are in the Mobile Data setting screen to turn off data to specific apps to the bare essentials.

Unfortunately due to privacy (thank god for this), there is no way to Koodo to know what you used your data on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to add, on most Koodo plans, data speeds are capped at 100Mbps, which is 12.5MBps, which means that theoretically you could use 45GB per hour so it is definitely not impossible.

Like mentioned above though, likely a glitchy app/update/etc.