Koodo Community
Question

pre owned warranty

I bought 2 CPO iphones in July.

One stopped working. Telus said we’d have to authorize $500 of repairs with our own money before they’d touch it and apple said it’s not worth anything once it is fixed. Can’t get ahold of Koodo customer service.

How do I get ahold of someone to find out my options with this phone?

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What is going wrong with it and who told you that you had to pay $500?

CPO phones have a 1 year manufacturers warranty that covers against any defects but doesn’t cover any sort of damage.
If there’s no user damage then you shouldn’t have to pay anything and could have it sent out for repair in store.

The volume buttons stopped working and now the screen won’t turn on (can’t reset because of the volume button). A Telus worker told us we’d have to sign saying we authorize to pay $500 if needed. Was that not correct?

What is going wrong with it and who told you that you had to pay $500?

CPO phones have a 1 year manufacturers warranty that covers against any defects but doesn’t cover any sort of damage.
If there’s no user damage then you shouldn’t have to pay anything and could have it sent out for repair in store.

The volume buttons stopped working and now the screen won’t turn on (can’t reset because of the volume button). A Telus worker told us we’d have to sign saying we authorize to pay $500 if needed. Was that not correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did the TELUS worker mention anything about physical damage which would have voided the warranty?

Koodo Certified Pre-Owned phones and tablets come with a 1-year warranty, backed by Koodo.

As Allan M mentioned, if there is no physical damage, the repair is covered by the warranty. If there is physical damage, the iPhone would be deemed an out-of-warranty repair. Here’s an excerpt from Koodo’s repair and warranty help page.

“If you would like to submit your phone for an out-of-warranty repair at Koodo, (I believe the same applies when an iPhone is taken into TELUS for repair) you will be required to authorize payment up to the out-of-warranty limit for the phone (the economical repair limit).”

Examples of physical damage:

• Liquid or heat damage
  • Dents, or cracks on the handset body or screen
  • Cracked or bleeding LCD display
  • Damaged keyboard or keys
  • Damaged headset or charging ports
  • Multiple scratches or heavy scratching on the display or touch areas

Repair and warranty options | Koodo

Did the TELUS worker mention anything about physical damage which would have voided the warranty?

Koodo Certified Pre-Owned phones and tablets come with a 1-year warranty, backed by Koodo.

As Allan M mentioned, if there is no physical damage, the repair is covered by the warranty. If there is physical damage, the iPhone would be deemed an out-of-warranty repair. Here’s an excerpt from Koodo’s repair and warranty help page.

“If you would like to submit your phone for an out-of-warranty repair at Koodo, (I believe the same applies when an iPhone is taken into TELUS for repair) you will be required to authorize payment up to the out-of-warranty limit for the phone (the economical repair limit).”

Examples of physical damage:

• Liquid or heat damage
  • Dents, or cracks on the handset body or screen
  • Cracked or bleeding LCD display
  • Damaged keyboard or keys
  • Damaged headset or charging ports
  • Multiple scratches or heavy scratching on the display or touch areas

Repair and warranty options | Koodo

When my husband first took it in it the phone had separated from the back on its own (was not dropped). They said we had to fill out the authorization to pay out of pocket or recommended taking it to ubreakifix, who did not fix it properly.. then the buttons stopped working and now the whole thing. 

I still have a year and a half left of paying for it so am getting frustrated with the service I’ve been getting and can’t reach an actual person through phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If ubreakifix performed the repair, they carry a 1 year parts and labour warranty which means if you have any issues related to the repair within 1 year they will take care of it free of charge.

ubreakifix | FAQ

If Your repaired or replacement Device malfunctions within the one (1) year Limited Warranty term, it must be returned to a store or service center within the System for evaluation by Us, and You will be responsible for any applicable shipping costs. If, upon Our examination, We determine at Our sole discretion that the parts or repairs used to perform the Services were defective, or in the case of a replacement Device, that the replacement Device is defective, it will be repaired at no charge.

ubreakifix | Terms & Conditions | Warranty - Section 11 (Limited Warranty) subsection C (Limited Warranty Procedure).

Let us know if you would like a rep flagged to see what other options might be available. 

If ubreakifix performed the repair, they carry a 1 year parts and labour warranty which means if you have any issues related to the repair within 1 year they will take care of it free of charge.

ubreakifix | FAQ

If Your repaired or replacement Device malfunctions within the one (1) year Limited Warranty term, it must be returned to a store or service center within the System for evaluation by Us, and You will be responsible for any applicable shipping costs. If, upon Our examination, We determine at Our sole discretion that the parts or repairs used to perform the Services were defective, or in the case of a replacement Device, that the replacement Device is defective, it will be repaired at no charge.

ubreakifix | Terms & Conditions | Warranty - Section 11 (Limited Warranty) subsection C (Limited Warranty Procedure).

Let us know if you would like a rep flagged to see what other options might be available. 

I would like a rep flagged please. Ubreakifix did not do it properly the first and would like to see if there’s another option first. They did not put it together properly and you could hear the battery shaking - had to take it back. To be followed by the problems now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would like a rep flagged please. Ubreakifix did not do it properly the first and would like to see if there’s another option first. They did not put it together properly and you could hear the battery shaking - had to take it back. To be followed by the problems now.

Did you end up authorizing the $500 for repair?

Or was the repair covered by Koodo’s one-year warranty?

Edit: rep flagged.

Did you end up authorizing the $500 for repair?

Or was the repair covered by Koodo’s one-year warranty?

Edit: rep flagged.

Neither. We had to take it to ubreakifix and pay out of pocket. I’m not willing to authorize to pay $500 for a phone that’s not worth it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Danielle321 

We are sorry to hear about the issue! We have send you a PM so we can further assist. 

Would not recommend pre owned phones to anyone. Have one that doesn’t work and am stuck paying for it for another year and half or paying more then it’s worth to get it fixed.