Koodo Community
Question

Prepaid customer and currently overseas, switch from koodo prepaid to postpaid?

• 27 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I am currently overseas in SE Asia. I need to receive SMS in order to validate some of my online banking accounts (Canadian banking institutions). 

I did not anticipate that prepaid was unable to receive SMS internationallly, and understand my only option now is to switch to post paid account. 

Is it possible for me to switch from prepaid to post paid entirely online? I see reference to a new physical SIM, do i still need this even though I have a physical Koodo prepaid SIM?

As mentioned, I am already overseas so cannot receive a new SIM, nor an SMS currently. 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Postpaid service is separated from prepaid. Hence, unfortunately, you couldn’t simply convert prepaid SIM to a postpaid SIM. You would have to open a brand new postpaid account and port your prepaid into it https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-prepaid-postpaid-monthly-service

As you are overseas, the process would be really complicated, I recommend you wait until you are back to Canada to do it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sign up for an account at CallCentric.com or any other VoIP service that can handle SMS and Canadian phone numbers. Choose a fresh Canadian phone number and change your banking authorization to this new number.

Configure your Callcentric SMS to forward your text messages via email. Now you just need access to your email.

If push comes to shove, you could port your Koodo number to the VoIP service so that no change with  the bank would be necessary and you could continue to receive calls, etc at the old number but on VoIP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Like others have said, this is a complex situation since porting your number out will require a verification text which you cannot receive.  I believe that porting out to from within the Telus family does not require the verification text (I flagged a rep to confirm this).

If this is the case, and you have a phone that supports esims, you can do the following.

1. Have someone (friend or family) sign up a Koodo postpaid account for you.
  2. Have them also get an esim voucher.
  3. Have them complete a sim swap from the physcial sim to the esim.
  4. Have that someone send you a photo of that esim voucher for you to set up on your phone.
  5. Port your Koodo prepaid number to the postpaid line they signed up for you

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @Darcy O'Neill 

Indeed, there is a 2  factor authentication code that will be sent in order to confirm the port. 

It acts in the same way as mentioned in this page here.

Hello,

I am currently overseas in SE Asia. I need to receive SMS in order to validate some of my online banking accounts (Canadian banking institutions). 

I did not anticipate that prepaid was unable to receive SMS internationallly, and understand my only option now is to switch to post paid account. 

Is it possible for me to switch from prepaid to post paid entirely online? I see reference to a new physical SIM, do i still need this even though I have a physical Koodo prepaid SIM?

As mentioned, I am already overseas so cannot receive a new SIM, nor an SMS currently. 

Thanks

I’m surprised your bank doesn’t offer an alternative authentication method to SMS...mine has a choice between email or SMS...even the CRA. Could this be sorted out by calling their international help number to carry out your banking requests? Local prepaid SIMs in SE Asia are dirt-cheap, unlike Canadian ones. ;)