Koodo Community
Question

porting out wireless home phone number

I can not port out my wireless home phone due too a flaw in the Koodo system. Koodo treats my home phone like a cell phone, They send a text to authorize the transfer but home phone does not have text service. Thus, the request fails. I called Koodo several times to manually authorize the transfer with no luck.

Is it possible to use the home phone sim card in a spare cell so it can handle text message? I tried but the sim card need a pin code. 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What do you mean “with no luck”? What happens when you contact them to approve the transfer over the phone?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Since “wireless home phone” service is technically a mobile phone number with a SIM in a box that converts it into a regular POTS/RJ11 jack, indeed the providers will identify it as a “wireless” line that would seemingly be able to receive SMS, but in reality the box does not do anything with received texts.

So indeed as @Allan M indicated, you will need to contact support to have them manually approve the port/transfer request. Usualy this must be done within 90 minutes of the gaining carrier sending the request, so you might want to attempt the port-out at a time when you will be able to quickly get ahold of koodo support as well.

I have a similar problem and the Koodo service regarding this porting is very frustrating. I am on my 6th  scheduled callback and still no solution.

Some reps said they will fix the blocking yet my new provider emails me that porting was blocked. Some reps said the number cannot be ported due to *different technologies" (trying to port to Ooma). Others said they would do it manually and call me back......never got the call back.

One Rep said a manager would call me back at a given hour.....never happened.

Waiting to see what the next rep will say before I write a letter to Koodo management regarding how they have treated a long time loyal customer.

Any suggestions

I’m having the same issues a “Zed”. Getting extremely frustrated. It is clear that the problem resides with Koodo, yet each service rep I speak to gives me the same nonsense about waiting for the text to confirm within 90 minutes, then it never happens. The new provider is completely at the mercy of Koodo following through and they are not. No solution is given no matter who I speak to or how many times I try.

At this point, legal action seems it may be the only solution to keep the phone number.

Edit: For clarity...the SIM is still in the old phone and I still have the ability to receive text messages. They are just not being sent by Koodo.

I finally reached a rep at Koodo who understood the problem and the process and was courteous enough to follow up and return calls. She triggered the process where they manually handle the verification because the wireless home (cell) phone cannot receive the automated text.....nor can you text from it.

I lost hours and hours because of Koodos incompetence in porting my number,.......it was finally done but I received no compensation for my lost time. Koodos needs to review how they provide support.........the number of times I had to enter my credentials to schedule a call!!!!

GOOD LUCK getting your number ported.