Koodo Community
Question

Want to know more about Koodo's online-only $15 starter plan. Does it include Call Control? and does it warn about incoming picture text?

• 27 December 2022
  • 1 reply

I am planning to change from another provider to Telus or Koodo because of the need for Call Control ability. 

• Does the $15 starter plan have call control?

I know that Koodo only gives call control to post-paid plans, not prepaid, but does this also apply to the online-only $15 starter plan? My old plan was a basic $20 plan and is very similar to this one. The main reasons I’d get this are call control and price similarity, if call control is not available, then it’s a deal breaker for me.

• Will I be able to bring my old number with this online-only plan? Is this an entirely online process or should I call Koodo to smoothen this process?

- Since this plan does not offer picture texts, do I get charged if advertisers send me picture texts?
I have never had picture texts in a plan before, do they count as part of the data plan or do they work separately? if I turn off my phones data, will it disable picture texts too? Are emojis mms or sms?

• On overage fees for picture texts

I was reading a previous thread that someone got insane overage fees over unaware picture texts uses,

https://community.koodomobile.com/tips-tricks-troubleshooting-232914/block-picture-voice-messages-due-to-500-overages-15-250mb-100min-unlimited-text-only-7810003

Now I have become aware of it, but I am wondering if this charge could happen in an action that is not initiated by me, like incoming picture texts, and what my options are to protect against it. 

That other thread recommended Public mobile, I have wanted to switch to Public before, but they do not have call control, so that’s out. 

• One thing my friend warned me about Koodo is the number service charges and potential hidden fees, but he didn't specify. What should I watch out for to avoid unnecessary fees?

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Koodo $15 plan definitely has call control, so if that is I your main reason to get it, you're golden.

Incoming MMS are not charged, and no unexpected hidden fees. If you are diligent in not going over your call limit or sending picture messages you should be fine with that plan.

The reason we usually recommend Public Mobile is because their overages are so much cheaper, call forwarding is free, etc. Also the plan is often given to younger children who might not be as aware of the cost.

I too am hoping that call control will be available on prepaid some day 🙂

Edit: of course you can bring your number. If you are with Koodo already you need a rep to change your plan. If not, it's even simpler to port in your old number.