Koodo Community
Question

Switched to a 5G plan but not getting 5G, and my perk isn't changing

• 10 November 2023
  • 31 replies

Hey,

I switched from a 4G plan with Speed Boost to a 5G plan and chose the data rollover perk.  Got the plan change e-mail instantly but so far it doesn’t seem that anything has changed.  Still only getting LTE despite having 5G enabled on my Note 20 Ultra, and the account page is showing the 5G plan but speed boost is still there.  Already tried rebooting a few times and no change.  What is going on?

This topic has been closed for comments

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you tried to reset network settings of the phone to see if that can help? I assumed it was a Canadian model?

As well, do you happen to know if your area got 5G coverage? If you run speedtest, what was the download speed?

Have you tried to reset network settings of the phone to see if that can help? I assumed it was a Canadian model?

As well, do you happen to know if your area got 5G coverage? If you run speedtest, what was the download speed?

Yea, I’m definitely in a 5G area.  I was even connecting to the 5G network in the Summer for a bit while on the old plan. 

I’m pretty sure I reset the network settings, I even connected to another network and then back to Koodo….

Was getting 150ish on speedtest so maybe speed boost is still actually enabled since “4g” without the boost perk is capped at 100, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yea, I’m definitely in a 5G area.  I was even connecting to the 5G network in the Summer for a bit while on the old plan. 

I’m pretty sure I reset the network settings, I even connected to another network and then back to Koodo….

Was getting 150ish on speedtest so maybe speed boost is still actually enabled since “4g” without the boost perk is capped at 100, right?

Your 5G plan should override that Speedboost perk. Is your Note20 a Canadian model?

Your 5G plan should override that Speedboost perk. Is your Note20 a Canadian model?

It most definitely is 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

if you dial *#2263# to check “network mode RF Band”, can you see any 5G bands showing up there?

if you dial *#2263# to check “network mode RF Band”, can you see any 5G bands showing up there?

I see NR5G: 41-NSA 66-NSA 71-NSA

Is that right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I see NR5G: 41-NSA 66-NSA 71-NSA

Is that right?

Yeah, so the phone got 5G bands. But decided to choose LTE+ in auto mode. I assumed it recognized the LTE was better at that location. You could try to download some app on the Google Appstore and force it to connect to a 5g band to see if you have any difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @CanadaCool622 

We see that you managed to get in touch with our tech support team in the meantime.

It seems that the issue is with the older firmare for S20 line devices, which won’t work on Koodo 5G network.

Samsung communicated  that there will be no feature updates on those devices, except for security patches and bug fixes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is disappointing news as I also have a Note20 Ultra 5G and have been wondering why I don't see 5G connectivity even though my wife does on her iPhone. 

Hi @CanadaCool622 

We see that you managed to get in touch with our tech support team in the meantime.

It seems that the issue is with the older firmare for S20 line devices, which won’t work on Koodo 5G network.

Samsung communicated  that there will be no feature updates on those devices, except for security patches and bug fixes.

But I was able to connect to 5G for a few months when Koodo first offered 5G plans, it was still 4G speed but the network came up on the phone as 5G?  Did Koodo/Telus change something?

It seems very strange that Samsung flagship phones wouldn’t be compatible with Koodo’s 5G network?  Does Koodo use some obscure frequency/bands that didn’t exist in 2020?

At this point I might as well switch to another provider since prices are similar, just have to make sure their 5G network actually works with 3 year old phones made by SAMSUNG lol

And just to clarify

I have a Note 20, not an S20

Does the Note 20 Ultra 5G have the same firmware issue as the S20?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And just to clarify

I have a Note 20, not an S20

Does the Note 20 Ultra 5G have the same firmware issue as the S20?

Let me flag a rep to follow up with you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello @CanadaCool622 

From what we can see, the devices that are not connecting to 5G due to firmware updates limitations are: the Samsung GS20, GS20+, GS20 Ultra and GS20 FE 

The Note 20 ultra is not part of the list, however it was released in the year and might be affected by firmware limitations as well, even if it is later compared with the S series. Depending on the decision that Samsung will take in regards to the updates that will be available for this model. 

We did verify some similar situations and from the experience of some users, on the Samsung page it seems that the recent update was causing some issues on the Note 20 ultra as well, the update is to 5.1. (One UI 5.1.).  where the devices would not connect to a 5g network after the update finished. 

Not sure if this was already done but, try to switch the network option from automatic search and manually connect to Koodo from the available list. Test and see how it works and switch back to automatic afterwards.

If the issue still persists, we would recommend a discussion with our technical support team in order to troubleshoot this further. 

Hello @CanadaCool622 

From what we can see, the devices that are not connecting to 5G due to firmware updates limitations are: the Samsung GS20, GS20+, GS20 Ultra and GS20 FE 

The Note 20 ultra is not part of the list, however it was released in the year and might be affected by firmware limitations as well, even if it is later compared with the S series. Depending on the decision that Samsung will take in regards to the updates that will be available for this model. 

We did verify some similar situations and from the experience of some users, on the Samsung page it seems that the recent update was causing some issues on the Note 20 ultra as well, the update is to 5.1. (One UI 5.1.).  where the devices would not connect to a 5g network after the update finished. 

Not sure if this was already done but, try to switch the network option from automatic search and manually connect to Koodo from the available list. Test and see how it works and switch back to automatic afterwards.

If the issue still persists, we would recommend a discussion with our technical support team in order to troubleshoot this further. 

Is it possible to talk to tech support without having to call in or get a call back?  Would be easier to communicate via DMs or posts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Our technical support team is only available via a phone call, by scheduling it through our Koodo Virtual Assistant. 

Started a petition. Get Samsung to release an update.  Please share and sign or start another one.  At least let's get it to their attention that there are a number of us that want the 5g connectivity that was promised. Apparently there are other petitions for other issues as well.

https://chng.it/zjprv9k5Dd

Since a lot of people switched to 5G plans this weekend, anyone else having the same issues with a Note 20 Ultra? 

I see threads on a bunch of other phones having issues, have any of those been resolved?

I have a OnePlus 8 Pro. I can't see the 5G on my Preferred Network Type options either.

The temporary workaround I'm using is: I installed the app NetMonster, then went to the Phone Info menu and the from there I could select the 5G network. It is working. But this procedure needs to be done every time you robot your phone 

I have a OnePlus 8 Pro. I can't see the 5G on my Preferred Network Type options either.

The temporary workaround I'm using is: I installed the app NetMonster, then went to the Phone Info menu and the from there I could select the 5G network. It is working. But this procedure needs to be done every time you robot your phone 

Still can’t connect to 5G using that app, forced NR only and nada =/

The app says the tower I was connected to has 5G

Did you try to use this option instead?

Did you try to use this option instead?

Well yea, I switched back to that and got LTE

When I clicked on the tower info it had a ! symbol beside 5G saying the tower wasn’t allowing a 5G connection to happen but didn’t say why, only gave possible reasons which weren’t helpful

Amazing, finally connected to 5g in an area I've been in a few times since I switched to 5g

Guess I caught a lucky tower this time

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds like it is not a phone or plan issue then.  Likely a tower issue regarding 5G

Sounds like it is not a phone or plan issue then.  Likely a tower issue regarding 5G

Yea, or Koodo just changed something, have to see if it stays on 5g later 

Is it normal that I could connect to 5g around Eaton centre but not around York university or any TTC station?

The whole area is 5g capable is it not?