Koodo Community

Device Care Complete being denied

• 16 January 2024
  • 4 replies

I am one of thousands running into issues with the third party company Asurion denying a legitimate insurance claim with a device. 

On Dec 18, 2023 I accidently dropped my phone and got two little holes in the screen. I started a claim right away. Asurion denied this claim for not  seeing “Air Time (phone call)” on the device.

I started a new claim confirming I had a phone December 17, 2023 on that device. 

That claim was denied. 

Of course, the device screen went black December 20, 2023 while I was using it for communicating with my friend, and as well as a women on Facebook marketplace

I started another claim but also went through the Better Business Bureau (they were just as useless).

Asurion then tried to claim via the Better Business Bureau that I was using a different device with my SIM card the day I dropped the Samsung. 

I did switch the SIM to my TCL Flip 2 on December 22, 2023 to be connected to people but only because I had no phone to use with the Samsung broken. 

Asurion still has not offered me my coverage I paid into and the Better Business Bureau did not as for hard evidence from Asurion and sided with the company.

I would like a replacement or the money I paid into the insurance reimbursed.

I would also like to see Telus and its other companies stop using Asurion as it only cheats Telus/Koodo customers out of $$ every month for a service they are not going to honour. 

As it stands I had to get a new device to stay connected on the go. (The TCL Flip 2 is not a smart device).

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did your Device Care Complete plan had accidental damage coverage in it? From your description, they denied because the phone was broken by customer.

Anyway, from your description, I don’t think I got the full picture of all communication between you & Asurion and Koodo. It would be nice if you can show us your support document from either Koodo and Auseron to support the claim. A timeline of events should also help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Patricia Ellen Bartlett 

We are sorry about this experience! 

We were unable to identify your account based on your community profile.

We have just sent you a PM, so we can further look into it, please check it out when you get the chance, thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The point of private insurance is to deny claims.  Any kind of extended warranty or insurance is to make money.  If they didnt make money they wouldn’t sell it.

I have had a horrible time with various kinds of insurance or extended warranties.  They do a great job selling them, but they tend to over promise, change terms, etc and fairly often fail to live up to their promises.

I would never recommend device care.  You are better off getting a more expensive case

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And a tempered glass screen protector. They’ll often crack in place of the screen during a fall. I almost never recommend insurance for this reason.