Koodo Community
Solved

Call forwarding / SMS text while outside Canada

• 27 September 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2

I am asking the community for help again.

TLDR Summary:  What is the per min call forwarding charge  when one is outside Canada when one has the $3 Call Forwarding add-on and the call forward is setup prior to departure to a Canadian number?  What about forwarded to a US number?   Also, is incoming SMS text message free to receive while outside Canada?  (regular INT Voice  Roaming enabled, no EasyRoam)

---

I think it is a fairly common use case, that you are traveling outside Canada and want to have a way for people to reach you, while trying to reduce cost and not pay for expensive Pay per Day (EasyRoam) or ridiculously expensive  Pay per Use roaming fees.

A very common strategy is that before you leave Canada, you set up an unconditional call forward to a phone# that you can access while traveling.  This could be a no cost or low cost VoIP service with a Canadian number like Fongo, or even in some case if permissible a US based phone number if your travel destination is in the USA.

You also might want to continue to receive text messages, particularly short code verification messages if you need to access your Canadian banks or other services that require SMS short code base 2FA.

Given this service providers should provide clear guidance on fees as related to this common use case, but I am finding it incredibly difficult to get clear and verifiable answers from any provider, including Koodo.

It is stated on the website Call forwarding can be enabled on post paid Koodo account as long as the forward to number is in North America format.  Under this link it is stated the pay per use cost for Call Forwarding is 60 cent/min.  One can add the $3/mo call forwarding add-ons, the  Nitty Gritty on this says “For incoming calls forwarded to a U.S. number, pay-per-use long distance charges apply. Add-ons that include minutes to the U.S. do not include Call Forwarding”.

So many questions due to the ambiguous wordings.

1. Does the $3/mo add-on provides free unlimited call-forward minutes for plan with unlimited Canadian wide calling if forwarding is to a Canadian number? In other words, does the add-on eliminates the 60 cent/min charges?
  2. What is the per min charge if forward to a USA number, with the call forwarding add-on?  Does the addition of the $3/mo Long Distance Saver add-on have the effect of reducing this charge?
    a) No additional charge to forward to US number (unlikely)
    b) Additional LD charge at standard Pay per use rate even if you have the LD Saver plan? The current Pay per Use LD rate to US is 80 cent/min!
    c) Will be charge at 5 cent/min as the lower LD rate applies with  $3/mo LD saver add-on?
  3. Does call forwarding still works if you have International Voice roaming on and the phone make connection with a non Canadian cell tower?  (This is require to receive SMS while aboard).
  4. Is there any differences in charges for conditional call forward when call is not answered/unreachable vs unconditional call forward?
  5. Can we assume we still have FREE incoming text message while outside Canada? (as long as you don’t send any)

A Telus/Koodo store rep can was unable to help me with these questions.  He is not sure but think even with the $3/mo call forwarding add-ons, one still pays the 60 cent/min charge for all forwarded calls.

I really appreciate some official answers, if this is not too much to ask.  From searching this forum, it seems plenty of customer has the similar questions, and while I have seen responses from volunteers (thank you!), none I considered definitely and I never see confirmation from  official source.

Sorry for the long post.

icon

Best answer by Drew Koodo 28 September 2021, 19:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Short Summary:  What is the per min call forwarding charge  when one is outside Canada, but one has the $3 Call Forwarding add-on and the call forward is setup prior to departure to a Canadian number?  The same question if forward to a US number?

I think it is a fairly common use case, that you are traveling outside Canada and want to have a way for people to reach you, while trying to reduce cost and not pay for expensive Pay per Day (EasyRoam) or ridiculously expensive  Pay per Use roaming fees.

A very common strategy is that before you leave Canada, you set up an unconditional call forward to a phone# that you can access while traveling.  This could be a no cost or low cost VoIP service with a Canadian number like Fongo, or even in some case if permissible a US based phone number if your travel destination is in the USA.

You also might want to continue to receive text messages, particularly short code verification messages if you need to access your Canadian banks or other services that require SMS short code base 2FA.

Given this, I think it is good if service providers provide clear guidance on fees as related to the above use case, but I am finding it incredibly difficult to have clear and verifiable answers from any provider, this also unfortunately includes Koodo.

It is stated on the website Call forwarding can be enabled on post paid Koodo account as long as the number is in North America format.  It is further stated that you get a $3/mo call forwarding add-ons, and the  Nitty Gritty says “For incoming calls forwarded to a U.S. number, pay-per-use long distance charges apply. Add-ons that include minutes to the U.S. do not include Call Forwarding”. Under this link it is stated the pay per use cost for Call Forwarding is 60 cent/min.

So many questions due to the ambiguous wordings.

1. Does the $3/mo add-on provides free unlimited call-forward minutes for plan with unlimited Canadian wide calling if forwarding is to a Canadian number? In other words, does the add-on eliminates the 60 cent/min charges?
  2. With the $3/mo add-on, what is the per min charge if forward to a USA number, with and without the Long Distance Saver add-on?
    a) No additional charge
    b) Additional LD charge at standard Pay per use rate without regard to if you have the LD Saver plan or not? For US LD charge is 80 cent/min.
    c) 5 cent/min if you have the LD Saver add-on (LD saver US LD rate)
  3. Does call forwarding setup still works if you have International Voice roaming on and the phone make connection with a non Canadian cell tower?  (This is require to receive SMS while aboard).
  4. Is there any differences in charges for conditional call forward vs unconditional call forward?

Not even a Telus/Koodo store rep can help me with these questions.  He think even with the $3/mo call forwarding add-ons, one still pay the 60 cent/min charge for all forwarded calls.

I really appreciate an official answers, if this is not too much to ask for.  From searching this forum, it seems plenty of customer has the same questions, and while I have seen some response from volunteers (thank you!), I never see a confirmation from any official source.

Sorry for the long post.

I have no idea about Koodo, but I did find something on the Telus site. Based on their feature, you can get 3,000 minutes per month, forwarded from Canada to a Canadian or US number. Anything past the amount is charged at $0.75 per minute. https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/call-forward-mobile

As for Koodo. you should be able to use the call forwarding feature without any limitations, as long as you have unlimited minutes on your account. For a Canadian number, it seems to me you should not have any issues. However, for a U.S. number, I believe you would be subject to the long-distance fee, as you have mentioned in your post.

If the Nitty Gritty states that the add-ons you get do not apply to the call forwarding minutes, then it is likely you will need to pay the calls at the long-distance rate. 

Userlevel 2

As call forwarding, particularly unconditional call forwarding is suppose to happen at the central office, the call should never leave Canada and therefore the roaming charge should not apply - although I agree with you LD charge is very likely.

The whole call forwarding seems to be a can of worms once you are outside Canada.  As you found from Telus, they have a certain min that are specifically for call forward, and it does not even use your normal minutes.  Some provider have a high per min CF fees, but it includes LD.

If one has conditional call forward, the call might well get route to the out of country network, so all bets are off, but again, nobody seem to be able to provide clear answers.

Userlevel 2

I am not sure if it is OK to post this, but here is the Fido response about no roaming charge for unconditional call forward, and roaming charge for conditional call forward.  But this is in 2015, so things could have changed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As call forwarding, particularly unconditional call forwarding is suppose to happen at the central office, the call should never leave Canada and therefore the roaming charge should not apply - although I agree with you LD charge is very likely.

The whole call forwarding seems to be a can of worms once you are outside Canada.  As you found from Telus, they have a certain min that are specifically for call forward, and it does not even use your normal minutes.  Some provider have a high per min CF fees, but it includes LD.

If one has conditional call forward, the call might well get route to the out of country network, so all bets are off, but again, nobody seem to be able to provide clear answers.

It is extremely confusing.

Have you considered downloading an app that can make or receive calls, such as Fongo, and enable the call forwarding feature to that number instead? You are given a Canadian number, which should allow you to avoid any of the unnecessary fees. I am not sure if this works, but you may give that a try. 

Userlevel 2

Yes, I have Fongo, I have VoIP.ms, and I have Google Fi.

My plan is to call forward to Fongo or my VoIP.ms account, and with the $3/mo call forwarding add-on together with my 10GB Koodoo plan, I do expect it to work and free of other charges.  But I am not 100% sure as the Koodo store rep seem to think I still need to pay 60 cent/min!

But I do still like the option of call forward to my US Google Fi number as it is far more reliable then any VoIP provided the cost is reasonable, i.e. 5 cent a min with the LD Saver add-on,  not 80 cent a min.  Logic would dictate if one purchased a LD discount plan, the lower rate will apply whether it is normal call initiated from Canada, or a call forward initiated from Canada, but in my experience, logic seldom come into the equation for Canadian telecom provider fee structure - and I am hoping Koodo would set a refreshing example when it come to transparency and customer services!
:grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

TLDR Summary:  What is the per min call forwarding charge  when one is outside Canada when one has the $3 Call Forwarding add-on and the call forward is setup prior to departure to a Canadian number?  What about forwarded to a US number?   Also, is incoming SMS text message free to receive while outside Canada?  (regular INT Voice  Roaming enabled, no EasyRoam)

---

If you have the $3 add-on and you don't exceed the call forwarding minutes there is no charge to forward to a. Canadian number. 

Forwarded to a US number would.cost US long distance ($0.80/min).

Yes incoming sms is free while roaming 

Userlevel 2

If you have the $3 add-on and you don't exceed the call forwarding minutes there is no charge to forward to a. Canadian number. 

Forwarded to a US number would.cost US long distance ($0.80/min).

@Dennis

Thanks for the info.

So call forwarding to US phone # is always $0.80min even if one has the LD Saver add-ons which would otherwise reduce the US LD rate to $0.05/min for normal voice call originating from Canada to US?

And do you know the limit of Koodo call forwarding minutes?  Is it the same as the Canadian wide calling mins (unlimited for almost all current monthly plan except the lowest cost starter plan), or is it some other number that I am unable to find on Koodo website?  (afaik Telus is 3000min, Fido is 2500min)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The last I saw, call forwarding was 1000 mins.

I'm not sure why the number of mins is no longer listed. 

Let me flag this to a rep to confirm 

Userlevel 4

@mowan The $3 unlimited Call Forwarding add-on is for local calls. You can forward to a US based number but there is an additional charge of $0.60/minute.

Incoming SMS is no charge regardless of where you’re situated. 

Userlevel 2

@Drew Koodo 
Thanks for responding!
1. How many call forwarding minutes do we get?  Is it unlimited on an unlimited call plan, or is it some other specific number for forwarding calls?
2. Just want to confirm Call Forwarding to US additional charge of $0.60/min is regardless of LD Saver add-on?

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

1. Looks like it is unlimited call forwarding minutes. If you have a limited minutes plan then call foawrdijg also uses those talk minutes and going over will yield talk overage costs. 

2. US long distance is $0.80/min. I don't believe the LD saver will have an impact here on call forwarding to a US number. But maybe @Drew Koodo can confirm? 

Userlevel 4

@Drew Koodo 
Thanks for responding!
1. How many call forwarding minutes do we get?  Is it unlimited on an unlimited call plan, or is it some other specific number for forwarding calls?
2. Just want to confirm Call Forwarding to US additional charge of $0.60/min is regardless of LD Saver add-on?

Thanks.

If you’re referring to the add-on: 1) unlimited local forwarding minutes 2) Yes. LD Saver will not be in play for forwarding minutes. 

@mowan i have the same questions as you mentioned. after reading all comments, i was not able to conclude if call forward service to a US number would charge us 80cents or 60 cents. I dont see 80cents anywhere in koodo site.

I don't need call forwarding but SMS forwarding to German number is essential for two factor validation. Is there any way to do this? I found some services to use apps on phone but I don't think they will be tied to the number just what goes to the SIM. Is there a way to just forward the SMS? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Put the cart before the horse. Use a VoIP service (CallCentric) for your main public number. Call treatments let you route any incoming call to a VoIP app, which works wherever you have data or wifi, or to any North American number, landline or cell either sumultaneously or sequentially.

Any incoming SMS is relayed via email. The only feature NOT supported is picture messaging.

If you spend a fair amount of time outside the local Koodo service area, you can use a local SIM and have everything forwarded to that temporary phone number.

Userlevel 2

I don't need call forwarding but SMS forwarding to German number is essential for two factor validation. Is there any way to do this? I found some services to use apps on phone but I don't think they will be tied to the number just what goes to the SIM. Is there a way to just forward the SMS? 

I know of no carrier  offering SMS forwarding.  It is probably technically impossible.  Probably due to technically obsolete SMS protocol itself.   You can get a VoIP # so you are not geo-blocked to your local calling area or pay those ridiculous roaming fees.   But those 2FA validation often use short-number that are not supported by VoIP services.  And some bank intentionally disallow 2FA with VOIP#.

The real solution is to tell banks not to use SMS as a 2FA method.  It is a really bad approach that cause issues for global travellers, not to mention discriminated against those who choose not to use  a traditional mobile phone service.

Userlevel 2

Put the cart before the horse. Use a VoIP service (CallCentric) for your main public number. Call treatments let you route any incoming call to a VoIP app, which works wherever you have data or wifi, or to any North American number, landline or cell either sumultaneously or sequentially.

Any incoming SMS is relayed via email. The only feature NOT supported is picture messaging.

If you spend a fair amount of time outside the local Koodo service area, you can use a local SIM and have everything forwarded to that temporary phone number.

VoIP services, even those that support SMS, which they have to do with a hack, since SIP does not natively support SMS - does not work in many cases with SMS based 2FA, especially those used by banks.

Userlevel 2

@mowan i have the same questions as you mentioned. after reading all comments, i was not able to conclude if call forward service to a US number would charge us 80cents or 60 cents. I dont see 80cents anywhere in koodo site.

It is entirely unnecessary confusing.  The question in my mind is whether it is intentional on Koodo’s part, or if it is incompetent.

Look under Nitty Gritty for the $3/month Call Forward Add-on

https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Addonsis:

You find this:

For incoming calls forwarded to a U.S. number, pay-per-use long distance charges apply. Add-ons that include minutes to the U.S. do not include Call Forwarding. International Call Forwarding is not available. Call Forwarding does not include toll free numbers.

On https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/long-distance-calling

the Pay-Per-Use U.S. LD rate is $0.80/min

So, the best I figured  is if you have the $3/mo call-forwarding add-on, your call forward to U.S. rate is an additional 80 cent/min regardless if you have any LD saving plan or bundle.  Since pay-per-use rate applies.

If you don’t have the Call-Forward add-on, then according to https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/long-distance-calling

The pay per use rate for call forwarding is $0.60 + $0.80 per min.

Call-Forward is not available anywhere else in the world besides Canada and US.  So this feature is very crippled.  And, if you like many people forgot to set up call forward before you left Canada, there are no option whatsoever to set it up after.