Koodo Community
Solved

Avoid Easy Roam chages in Mexico?

• 5 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

I will be in Mexico for the next 3 months. I will have a phone with a Telcel sim and a phone with my Koodo sim.

1. I need to receive SMS for 2 factor authenication.

2. I need to check voicemail from my Telcel phone.

What do my roaming and data roaming settings need to be to avoid activating the Easy Raom $13/day charge?

icon

Best answer by Dinh 5 December 2021, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Keep your data off and don't make any texts or talk on the phone and you'll be good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I assumed you are a postpaid customer.

1. If you just want to receive SMS but not easyroamin, what you would need is the “International Voice Roaming” add-on.  You would have add easyroam first https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam . After that, delete other roaming add-ons but keep the international voice roaming. By doing so you would receive “free” incoming SMS, but you would be charged by the payperuse rate if you send text or make/receive call.
  2. If you are using a Telcel SIM (Mexican carrier?), you have to check in with them to check their voicemail, Koodo voicemail can only be checked on a phone with Koodo SIM. Checking voicemail while roaming is considered a call to Canadian number (and you would be charged with roaming fee).

Userlevel 3

I assumed you are a postpaid customer.

1. If you just want to receive SMS but not easyroamin, what you would need is the “International Voice Roaming” add-on.  You would have add easyroam first https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam . After that, delete other roaming add-ons but keep the international voice roaming. By doing so you would receive “free” incoming SMS, but you would be charged by the payperuse rate if you send text or make/receive call.
  2. If you are using a Telcel SIM (Mexican carrier?), you have to check in with them to check their voicemail, Koodo voicemail can only be checked on a phone with Koodo SIM. Checking voicemail while roaming is considered a call to Canadian number (and you would be charged with roaming fee).
  1. If I called my Koodo number from the Telcel phone would I not be able to check VM that way? The Telcel sim included local calling to USA and Canada

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh, Yes, you can check your voicemail by calling your Koodo number from a different number and press *. However the voicemail notification (whether you had a new voicemail or not) is still delivered to your Koodo number. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I will be in Mexico for the next 3 months. I will have a phone with a Telcel sim and a phone with my Koodo sim.

1. I need to receive SMS for 2 factor authenication.

2. I need to check voicemail from my Telcel phone.

What do my roaming and data roaming settings need to be to avoid activating the Easy Raom $13/day charge?

I am not sure if your Telcel plan includes calls to Canada, but if it does, you can call your voicemail access number and listen to your messages that way instead without the need to pay for long-distance charges.