Koodo Community
Solved

Scam or Legit

• 30 March 2022
  • 8 replies

I received a call from 866 448 8030. The caller id says it was from Koodo Mobile. The caller stated I was eligible for a tablet offer (Samsung Galaxy) but she wanted my Koodo Pin that I use to access my account. When I said I wasn’t comfortable giving that she asked for the last digits of my SIN. Not a chance.

So my question is, was this a legit call with a legit offer?

icon

Best answer by Sophia 30 March 2022, 03:03

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It sounds legitimate to me. Unfortunately Koodo needs to verify that you are you and not just someone picking up the phone and accepting the offer on your behalf. But it is really scary to give your PIN over the phone to some random caller, so it’s really a catch-22 situation.

Here is a page that Koodo created that should help:

Thanks. The number is legit. I found an article on Koodo's website that lists numbers that might call for marketing. So, I have to assume all is well. That being said, I will NEVER give my pin nor any part of my SIN number to anyone! Hope Koodo will come up with some less intrusive way to verify accounts. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Dramma J Major red flags!! I would never ever give out my passwords (the pin is one) to anyone calling me (different if I call them).  Fraudsters are all over nowadays and if this is the only way koodo can operate I would actually consider dropping them. Who know what else they are so flippant about. 

You are right on so many accounts. Fraudsters are everywhere. Red flags flew when she asked about my pin but when asked for the last numbers of my SIN, sirens went off! So I reached out to this community.

Thanks. The number is legit. I found an article on Koodo's website that lists numbers that might call for marketing. So, I have to assume all is well. That being said, I will NEVER give my pin nor any part of my SIN number to anyone! Hope Koodo will come up with some less intrusive way to verify accounts. 

Don't forget legit numbers are spoofed all the time.

Unfortunately Koodo does use these cold calling practices so there is really no way of knowing if the call is legit or not. Just because a number appears real doesn't mean it is.

Koodo is doing it’s customers a HUGE DISSERVICE by continuing this practice.

When they ask me to give them information so they can confirm may identity or account, I have found that if I tell them to give me the information they are looking at and I will confirm, they either readily agree, argue or just hang up. I never provide the information. After all, if they are “looking at your account”, why can’t they ask me to confirm. 

However, when all is said and done, the reality is that scams are out there. We just have to be vigilant and do our best to protect ourselves. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, that’s my approach as well. You called me, you should know who I am. If I am to give you my PIN to verify that I’m me, you should at least be able to verify some information about me that I HAVEN’T given you first to prove that you are the company you represent. It’s good to be diligent for sure :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And if this call was for sales, they should be able to put those offer on my account under the rep's name...?

So, I can log into my self serve and confirm offer. If I like it and  accept it, then commission go to the rep ( if call center does the commission system)