Koodo Community
Solved

Roaming Upset

I have a dual sim card phone and have a Koodo sim card for regular use while in Canada.  I also purchased a Mint sim card to use while visiting my daughter in the US several times a year.  I have had to turn my Koodo CDN sim card right off in order to not be charged $15.00 per day for roaming. I had already ensured that my US sim card was marked as the default and ensured that my roaming option on my phone was turned off.   Koodo seems unable to live with that and is insistent that if I'm in the US, their Sim card will take precedence.  Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Dennis 4 April 2022, 01:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you are traveling to US and a postpaid customer, you can’t turn off roaming with Koodo self-serve. If you don’t want to roam, the best method is to take out the Koodo SIM card (or disable the eSIM if you are using a Koodo eSIM).

If you still want to receive incoming text (which is free), you must disable data roaming and disable cellular data for Koodo line in the settings. Otherwise, you could accidentally use data. Also, do not make/receive call, or send text.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo's sim is unable to determine priorities in a dual sim phone. The option is determined by your phone.

If you are unable to change this in your phone's setting you may need to take out your koodo sim. 

I did choose the default sim card on my phone.  I selected Mint for my drive over here using Google maps.  Koodo is just not recognizing it.  Quite disappointing. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a dual sim phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did choose the default sim card on my phone.  I selected Mint for my drive over here using Google maps.  Koodo is just not recognizing it.  Quite disappointing. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a dual sim phone.

You meantioned “Koodo is just not recognizing it”, what did you mean by that? if you put 2 SIMs in a dual SIM phone, both SIM should be active.

I have put both sim cards in the phone.  When in the US, I have changed the settings on my phone to make the Mint sim card as the default for talk, data and texting.  I also set my Roaming, to "off".  I live in Canada and always set the defaults for Koodo while at home.

I used Google maps for my drive from Ontario to northern Michigan.  Once I arrived I received a text from Koodo stating that they had noticed I was roaming in the USA and would be billed accordingly.   I checked my settings again and found that roaming had been turned on automatically.  

I was upset and tried to call Koodo support.  Evidently,  you cannot call for Canada support while out of the country.  I had to call the billing department and they had to explain the issue to support.  The billing representative told me that I would have to completely  turn off the Koodo sim card to ensure I would not be billed for daily roaming.  That is not how I thought that a dual sim phone would work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have put both sim cards in the phone.  When in the US, I have changed the settings on my phone to make the Mint sim card as the default for talk, data and texting.  I also set my Roaming, to "off".  I live in Canada and always set the defaults for Koodo while at home.

I used Google maps for my drive from Ontario to northern Michigan.  Once I arrived I received a text from Koodo stating that they had noticed I was roaming in the USA and would be billed accordingly.   I checked my settings again and found that roaming had been turned on automatically.  

I was upset and tried to call Koodo support.  Evidently,  you cannot call for Canada support while out of the country.  I had to call the billing department and they had to explain the issue to support.  The billing representative told me that I would have to completely  turn off the Koodo sim card to ensure I would not be billed for daily roaming.  That is not how I thought that a dual sim phone would work.

As others have mentioned, this entirely depends on your phone. Since there is no way to stop roaming while abroad in the U.S., you are better off removing the Koodo SIM card from your phone entirely to avoid any additional charges. While you might think that is not how the phone should function, it is recognizing your Koodo SIM card over the Mint Mobile SIM card.

The solution is a simple one - just take it out for a hassle-free experience. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think you were little confused about the idea of dual SIM phone. Even you set your default to one SIM, the other SIM is still active and stays alive in the background. That was why you could use 2 SIMs at the same time.

As I mentioned earlier, if you don’t want Koodo SIM, you can take the SIM out or disable it if you are using eSIM. I think the rep also conveyed that to you. As a Koodo postpaid customer, you couldn’t disable US roaming. It was on by default, unfortunately.

Disappointed.  But thank you everyone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also when Mint is set as default and you try to make a call or send a text, does it show koodo's numbers to the recipient?

Try swapping the sim cards. Out the mint sim in the current koodo slot and the Koodo sim in the current mint slot. Does that change anything? 

Is the phone a Dual sim active model or dual sim standby model? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Lauriee10 what brand and model is your phone?  

I have a Samsung Galaxie A22.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a Samsung Galaxie A22.

I tried searching around for known issues regarding dual sim usage for the A22 but haven’t had any luck.  I’m guessing it’s “incidental” data usage, such as the OS occasionally routing something through that SIM to verify it’s still active or something.  But this is just a guess.  I guess the only sure-fire way to avoid it being used is to disable (or remove) that SIM card while in the US.

Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.