Koodo Community
Solved

Prepaid Plan VS. Bring Your Own Phone Plan

• 11 October 2021
  • 12 replies

For years I have had a bring your own phone plan. I pay $40 for 500mb data, 500 minutes, and unlimited text messaging. I am now looking at changing my plan and I see a prepaid plan for $30 that is 500mb+500mb with automatic top up, and unlimited calling and messaging. This is a better plan for cheaper. I was wondering what the difference was between prepaid plans and a bring your own phone plan, and if there was any downsides to a prepaid vs my regular phone plan. Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 12 October 2021, 06:33

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid’s main drawbacks are not being able to get phones on tab and limited roaming options. If you don't care about that, then go for it. There's also 2gb for 38 dollars as a postpaid option. It'll work well if you see yourself using more data.

Prepaid’s main drawbacks are not being able to get phones on tab and limited roaming options. If you don't care about that, then go for it. There's also 2gb for 38 dollars as a postpaid option. It'll work well if you see yourself using more data.

So basically if I’m buying a phone outright and not using the tab plan then a prepaid is better?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It can be. It's certainly better than your current plan. It depends on your usage patterns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So basically if I’m buying a phone outright and not using the tab plan then a prepaid is better?

Not necessarily. Prepaid is ok for light usage. If you're a big data user prepaid is gonna end up being more expensive then  postpaid 

I almost never use my data. If I switch my plan I may even go for a cheaper plan without data and change it to one with data later on, only if I plan to go out of town or something when there’s a chance I might use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In that case prepaid will be best for you. 1GB for 30 dollars is hard to beat in Canada atm. It’s double what you have now and you save 10 dollars a month. Only thing is that you have to pay 30 dollars for an extra gb if you need it, but that’s not much more than postpaid’s extra data options.  And of course you also get unlimited minutes by switching to either this plan, or the postpaid 38 dollar plan. That kind of peace of mind is well worth it on its own right, let alone also paying less for more.

So put simply, postpaid plans are only good for tab plans or if you use lots of data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So put simply, postpaid plans are only good for tab plans or if you use lots of data?

There are many other benefits of postpaid plan like VoLTE, VoWiFi, roaming,etc. I would just suggest you look into “Starter” plans. It might be a better choice in some cases. You can find more here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/starter-plans-3g-data-speeds

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It really depends on what your main purpose of your phone plan is. Since you rarely use data and you only use it for calling and texting, I think a prepaid plan does the job pretty well. If you need any additional services, a postpaid plan may come in handy, but it seems it isn’t exactly necessary for your purposes at this point in time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

@Extreme Also compare at Telus/Koodo’s other prepaid only brand Public Mobile - their prepaid plans are a little cheaper, and better featured than Koodo’s offerings. All plans get a $2 discount with auto-pay, and all plans include unlimited international SMS+MMS while Koodo’s is only canada-wide. Still within the Telus “family” of brands, so number porting is very quick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@ExtremeAlso compare at Telus/Koodo’s other prepaid only brand Public Mobile - their prepaid plans are a little cheaper, and better featured than Koodo’s offerings. All plans get a $2 discount with auto-pay, and all plans include unlimited international SMS+MMS while Koodo’s is only canada-wide. Still within the Telus “family” of brands, so number porting is very quick.

EEhh except data is capped at 3G speeds. And it's barely better now than the latest plans.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

EEhh except data is capped at 3G speeds. And it's barely better now than the latest plans.

Koodo’s 2 lowest prepaid plans ($15, $35) are also limited to “3G speed”. This means 3.0 megabits, which is perfectly fine for everyday use, even 720P video streaming.

Also, on Koodo’s $15 plan, extra data is $13/100MB ($130 per 1 GB), while Public Mobile extra data is $15 per 1 GB.

Just saying, if one is looking at those two prepaid Koodo plans, the Public Mobile ones are still attractive.