Koodo Community
Question

my iPhone is stuck in SOS mode and won’t connect to the network

• 7 October 2023
  • 18 replies

I have an iPhone 11. And yesterday my phone went into SOS mode and it won’t connect to the net work. I cannot phone anybody and I cannot receive phone calls either. I have googled this problem and spent lots of time trying everything I can find. Still nothing working. I have tried to message Koodo on the Facebook page and no response back. How do I get help? 

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you able to login to your self serve account to check to see if your account looks alright?

Also, restart your phone to see if that fixes the issue.

Thank you!.  Yes I restarted and it didn’t work.  I went to my account and it  looks like there is an outstanding balance.  Would that cause it?  I just paid it now through my bank, so that might take a few days to show up on Kodoo.  There was no message anywhere saying that my account was on hold or suspended. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should have received some notification ideally, if so. Because you should be able to place a call to Koodo if you are disconnected, so you can get connected again. Canadian carriers typically do not disconnect you until you're 30+ days past due. If you never got a message of impending disconnection, and aren't 30+ days overdue, that's likely not it.

Can you put your Sim card in another phone, even borrowing anyone's phone, to seee if the problem follows?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Was the outstanding balance an overdue balance?

How did you pay the outstanding balance?

Dennis,  I paid via online banking. 

Goran,  I also thought I would at least receive a message so that is why I assumed it wasn’t that.  Anyway, I paid.  I’ll try putting the sim card in my son’s phone and see what happens. I can’t call out to anyone, even Koodo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should be able to at least call 611 even if your line was suspended.

The problem with online banking is that it takes 3-5 business days for the payment to process.

If your line was indeed suspended for late/non-payment you would need to call 611 and pay over the phone with a credit card to reactivate right away…. again that is assuming that your line was indeed suspended for late/non-payment and it wasnt another issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can try dialing #227. That’s the direct line to billing if you were disconnected because of that.

There is a possibility that the sim card crapped out. SOS in iphone means you’re not connected to a network at all, and can only place emergency calls. Being able to reach out to 611 should still be possible when disconnected. If it is a simcard problem, you’ll need to do a sim swap.

If you like, we can flag a rep to look into if it’s a payment issue or not if you’re unable to connect by dialing #227.

I get “failed called” when I try both #611 and #227.  So challenging.  I am new to Koodo also. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I get “failed called” when I try both #611 and #227.  So challenging.  I am new to Koodo also. 

Let me flag a rep to help you out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Beth Hawthorn 

We have checked and the account looks good, the lines aren’t disconnected.

Are both lines on the account having the same issue?

Have you tried resetting the network settings or testing the sim card on a different phone? 

I have reset the network settings twice and have not yet testing the sim card on a different phone as there isn’t anyone I can do that with right now. 

I texted my son to see if he can go by the store I got the SIM card from and see if they will give him another one to bring me.  Not likley, Im guessing. 

And… the other line, which is my sons, is working fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have reset the network settings twice and have not yet testing the sim card on a different phone as there isn’t anyone I can do that with right now. 

I texted my son to see if he can go by the store I got the SIM card from and see if they will give him another one to bring me.  Not likley, Im guessing. 

Have you tried restarting your phone? What about checking your APN settings to make sure that it is correct? https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since a rep said everytging seems fine, and the problem follows the sim card, I would think a sim swap is the next thing to try to see if it'll fix the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If your son's line works, try his sim in your phone and your sim in his phone and see if the issue follows your sim or your phone 

So I just got back from a Koodo office and the support guy tried a bunch of things and nothing worked. 😫

• There was an  system updated that needed to be done  so we did that and  it didn’t remove  the SOS
  • He tried my sim card  in his phone  and it worked 

Any other ideas?  Or is it my phone?

Wow.  The story just got more complicated.  I spend an hour on the phone with apple then back to kooko, who then determined that the phone is now locked to Bell. ???   Bell can’t unlock the phone as the original owner reported it as lost or stolen.  I bought the phone used on market place a few years ago and have been using it since then, no issues, with Fido and now with Koodo.  Sounds like I will need to buy a new phone.   Any final words of advice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wow.  The story just got more complicated.  I spend an hour on the phone with apple then back to kooko, who then determined that the phone is now locked to Bell. ???   Bell can’t unlock the phone as the original owner reported it as lost or stolen.  I bought the phone used on market place a few years ago and have been using it since then, no issues, with Fido and now with Koodo.  Sounds like I will need to buy a new phone.   Any final words of advice?

It is likely blacklisted, so you will not be able to get it unlocked. Is there any way for you to find another second-hand phone? You can also consider getting a phone from Koodo.