Koodo Community
Solved

Another 5G Question

• 9 January 2024
  • 7 replies

According to Telus I am in a purple 5G area, but I have been running Speed Tests on and off and my numbers are barely 4G never mind 5G.

I have a 6 month old Koodo iPhone 14 Plus and I am on the $60 5G Can-US plan. I have tried different troubleshooting like resetting Network settings, taking the SIM card out, etc

Here are some Speed Test numbers which are mostly dismal - but what throws me is every now and then (but not often) there is a decent number. The 180 is the best I have seen. Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 9 January 2024, 19:08

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Speed Test depends on a lot of factors. From your screenshot, you didn’t have a good signal reception (1-3 bars) and ping time was high. I recommend you use speedtest by Ookla and choose a test server near you to see if you can have better results.

I am on the same plan as you are but my download speed can easily reach 200+ at night outdoor (3-4 bar of signal). My speedtest ping time is much better though (around 22-25ms).

Thanks Dinh. I downloaded Ookla like you suggested and my first 2 tests were decent (at 11:30 pm) but have dropped since then.

But your comment about my reception made me think. I usually never get more than 1 to 2 bars (very rarely 3 bars) no matter where I go. I am not well read on 5G, but could it be that my SIM card is the problem? Frankly I can't remember how old it is but I have never done a SIM swap - I just put in my old SIM card into any new device I buy (so it is probably pretty old).  Would this affect 5G and reception?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks Dinh. I downloaded Ookla like you suggested and my first 2 tests were decent (at 11:30 pm) but have dropped since then.

But your comment about my reception made me think. I usually never get more than 1 to 2 bars (very rarely 3 bars) no matter where I go. I am not well read on 5G, but could it be that my SIM card is the problem? Frankly I can't remember how old it is but I have never done a SIM swap - I just put in my old SIM card into any new device I buy (so it is probably pretty old).  Would this affect 5G and reception?

I believe your SIM card should still be capable of accessing the 5G network. Have you checked your settings and see if you have chosen 5G On? https://support.apple.com/en-ca/108383

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is hard to determine without comparative tests.

I recommend going to a Telus or Koodo store (or a friend with a Telus/Koodo 5G plan) and complete a speed test on a 5G plan with one of their devices.  Then test on your device.  If the numbers deviate greatly, you can swap sims with each other to see if the issue follows the sim card.

@MilkyWay 

Yes I have run tests on 5G Auto and 5G On as well as 4G. No great difference between them.

@Dennis 

Good idea. My best friend lives in my neighborhood - she is on Telus, but I assume that would work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just as long as the Telus plan is a 5G plan and not a 5G+ plan.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/data-speeds

Telus

https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/plans?intcmp=tcom_mob_bring-your-own-device_button_shop-plans_bottom

In their FAQ section:

Our Unlimited plans offer different data speed options. You can get 5G download speeds of up to 250 Mbps and 5G+ download speeds of up to 2 Gbps (2000 Mbps), no matter what network you are connected to or the network logo you see on your device.