Koodo Community
Question

YouTube does not work on Hotspot

Userlevel 1

When I am traveling with my kids I create a hotspot for them so they can access the internet with their tablets and phones.  YouTube is the only app that does not work, it says it is unavailable in my area.  Can someone at Koodo help resolve this?

This topic has been closed for comments

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is strange, could you post a snapshot of the error here? (hide/delete all personal information before posting pls). I wonder if the error came from Koodo or Google.

Userlevel 1

It has always been this way.  It thinks I’m in a different region all the time, perhaps due to my area code 613.  Maybe it thinks I’m in Quebec or something, when in fact I am in Ontario.  I have never been able to get YouTube to work properly across any device on a hotspot while traveling in the car.  

I’ll attach a screenshot next time I experience this but it comes up with a page that says not available in your area.

Userlevel 1

Here it is.  My son's phone connected to my hotspot trying to open the YouTube app.  

I live in the Kingston region and this happens all the time whenever we travel I think it has something to do with Koodo settings and my area code.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think it is youtube issue. It used your geotag to control the content. I would recommend you deleted the current youtube app and reinstall it again from Google appstore to see if it can help. Also, disable any vpn if you had

Userlevel 1

Neither of those scenarios work.  This has happened for years now, over multiple devices.  It's a Telus issue that needs resolution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Neither of those scenarios work.  This has happened for years now, over multiple devices.  It's a Telus issue that needs resolution.

Well, google had their own explanation about this. And they didn't mention the carrier https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/92571?hl=en

Userlevel 1

Well, google had their own explanation about this. And they didn't mention the carrier https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/92571?hl=en

That doesn’t make sense because it’s accessible using mobile date.  It’s just over HOTSPOT that it does not work.  I could be standing in my driveway, connected to my home wifi, launch YouTube and it works fine.  When I disconnect and connect to a HOTSPOT Youtube says it doesn’t work in my region.  So clearly it has to do with the carrier.

That is strange. Out of curiosity I just tried Youtube through their app over a Hotspot with my iPhone 11 and it worked perfectly.  I then tried accessing Youtube through the Safari web browser (not through the app) and no problem. Have you tried not using the app? Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Like Lou, I just tested it out as well across a couple phones and didn’t notice any issues with watching YouTube on another device with a hotspot.

I’d suggest reaching out to Koodo’s tech support and see if there’s something that needs fixed on your account and/or phone.

Userlevel 1

Like Lou, I just tested it out as well across a couple phones and didn’t notice any issues with watching YouTube on another device with a hotspot.

I’d suggest reaching out to Koodo’s tech support and see if there’s something that needs fixed on your account and/or phone.

That’s why I’m here, to get Koodo tech support so it’s clearly documented and they know what the issue is.

Userlevel 4

Do you have any issue opening youtube on the host device (i.e. the one you are creating HOTSPOT from). Is there any VPN service enabled on that device or location disabled? For hotspot it all depends how your host device is configured.

Userlevel 1

Do you have any issue opening youtube on the host device (i.e. the one you are creating HOTSPOT from). Is there any VPN service enabled on that device or location disabled? For hotspot it all depends how your host device is configured.

There is no VPN service enabled.

ANY DEVICE using a hotspot connection has this error.  If the device which is connected to the hotspot moves to mobile data, the connection works fine.  The point is my son has 250mb a month to use so obviously we are going to create a hotspot for him.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for your reply. Does youtube work on the device you are creating HOTSPOT from? the host device!

Userlevel 1

Everybody here is missing the point.

When I use https://www.iplocation.net using my cell service it picks me up in Montreal, Quebec.  I live in Kingston, Ontario.  It has ALWAYS DONE THIS.  This is a KOODO / TELUS ISSUE.

I’m sorry but I am starting to lose it here.  Can someone who understands the situation get in touch with me?

Some advice I received years ago was:  if your IP address is registering with the geolocation providers as being in QC, there isn't much you can do other than trying to contact them to get them to update their records to it being in Ontario. But that'll only apply for that given IP address. The next time your phone gets a new IP address you could run into that issue again. It might be worth calling Koodo to see if they're aware of the problem, though first level support will be useless. Not sure why Koodo's assigning QC IP addresses through Kingston towers in the first place, it's not like you're in Ottawa or somewhere else that's right on the border where you might ping QC towers instead.

Userlevel 4

When I look at my location using that website it shows Ottawa and I am in Toronto. My youtube app works. Hope your issue gets resolved.

Userlevel 2

One test case that is still not being answered is does YouTube work on the device hosting/creating the hotspot?

It would be useful info to try to narrow down the problem and eliminate other potential causes.

Userlevel 1

One test case that is still not being answered is does YouTube work on the device hosting/creating the hotspot?

It would be useful info to try to narrow down the problem and eliminate other potential causes.

Yes, it works on the host device just fine

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When I use https://www.iplocation.net using my cell service it picks me up in Montreal, Quebec.  I live in Kingston, Ontario.  It has ALWAYS DONE THIS.  This is a KOODO / TELUS ISSUE.

I’m sorry but I am starting to lose it here.  Can someone who understands the situation get in touch with me?

Some advice I received years ago was:  if your IP address is registering with the geolocation providers as being in QC, there isn't much you can do other than trying to contact them to get them to update their records to it being in Ontario. But that'll only apply for that given IP address. The next time your phone gets a new IP address you could run into that issue again. It might be worth calling Koodo to see if they're aware of the problem, though first level support will be useless. Not sure why Koodo's assigning QC IP addresses through Kingston towers in the first place, it's not like you're in Ottawa or somewhere else that's right on the border where you might ping QC towers instead.

Seeing how specific your issue is, and seeing that you basically have the answer, wouldn’t it be easier to just contact Koodo directly and discuss it with their actual tech team? I mean, you’re just talking to volunteers here. You might get further by scheduling a call back and see if you can get an expert for your issue.

Userlevel 1

Seeing how specific your issue is, and seeing that you basically have the answer, wouldn’t it be easier to just contact Koodo directly and discuss it with their actual tech team? I mean, you’re just talking to volunteers here. You might get further by scheduling a call back and see if you can get an expert for your issue.

Well it's funny because I posted an issue before and a person from their head office called me to resolve the problem.  I was hoping someone would direct me to the tech experts after reading the issue rather than having to call in and deal with front line agents over the phone.  This is a unique issue like you say 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am with Koodo, have a QC number in Toronto, and I hotspot often for my child’s tablet and there have never been such issues. I in fact show up as located in Toronto atm, so this isn’t something that automatically happens with Koodo. I’m not sure why it is doing this for you specifically. For some reason it’s reporting the wrong location data for you and the IP is not adjusting to your location.

Do you have a VPN? I know it was asked before, but I wonder if it’ll get you around the issue with youtube until this is resolved.

There is no calling technical support directly. You’d have to schedule a callback and then request a ticket opened for technical support and then you should be able to talk to someone.