Koodo Community
Question

US prepaid SIM card

• 17 February 2023
  • 7 replies

I bought a prepaid SIM card in the US since I will be here for 2 months.  It won’t connect.  They tell me there are restrictions on my phone when they checked my IMEI.  Why is this? Is it because I still have a tab on my phone?  Do I have to pay this off before I can use a temporary US SIM?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Which phone are you using? and when did you get the phone?

As well, when you put US SIM card into your phone, did it say network unlock code required? 

There is also another possibility that your phone wasn’t compatible with US volte network that was why they checked the IMEI 

The phone is a Samsung A70.  It is unlocked or at least it was in the past since I used a prepaid SIM last year.  Apparently, whenever there’s an issue with connection they check the IMEI.  The guy at Mint said it showed there was a restriction on the phone preventing me from connecting.  All I can think of is the tab must be the issue.  Thoughts before I contact Koodo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The phone is a Samsung A70.  It is unlocked or at least it was in the past since I used a prepaid SIM last year.  Apparently, whenever there’s an issue with connection they check the IMEI.  The guy at Mint said it showed there was a restriction on the phone preventing me from connecting.  All I can think of is the tab must be the issue.  Thoughts before I contact Koodo?

It should have been unlocked when you got the device. Did they say what kind of restriction? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo Pre-paid roaming does not work reliably in the US because VoLTE, the newer standard in the US, is not supported by Koodo.

If you buy a local SIM, it still works only if your handset is unlocked and supports VoLTE.

https://www.att.com/idpassets/images/support/pdf/Devices-Working-on-ATT-Network.pdf?source=ESSZ0SSPR00T1EsEM&wtExtndSource=20201020164156_AT%26T+Community+Forums__COMMUNITY_3954573197

The phone works fine with the Koodo SIM while roaming.  But won’t install a prepaid US SIM due to some unknown restriction.  I’m tired of paying $12/day when I can pay $15 a month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The phone works fine with the Koodo SIM while roaming.  But won’t install a prepaid US SIM due to some unknown restriction.  I’m tired of paying $12/day when I can pay $15 a month.

It is likely volte issue as Bob pointed out. They also said so in their page of compatibility check https://www.mintmobile.com/byop/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Verizon and Sprint SIM cards generally will not work in a Canadian phone due to different network set-ups.

Mint and Tello IMEI checkers tend to give false positive readings.

Try another supplier. When you are connected by Koodo for roaming, take a look at your network settings to see which roaming partner is active and look to them for a pre-paid plan.