Koodo Community
Question

Unable to call back to Canada from Iceland.

I cannot call from my phone any Canadian number. It says "You cannot make outgoing calls while call barring is on."

I have roaming on, barring is off for all options. Easy roaming turned on. I have data and can even call Icelandic numbers. I am on a monthly plan.

Please help.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I cannot call from my phone any Canadian number. It says "You cannot make outgoing calls while call barring is on."

I have roaming on, barring is off for all options. Easy roaming turned on. I have data and can even call Icelandic numbers. I am on a monthly plan.

Please help.

Did you add the International Voice Roaming add-on to your Self-Serve account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you restart your phone after adding it?

It was already there, but I restarted it anyway. Didn't help.

It might have something to do with the Sim card.

Once I saw a message when going to check the barring settings:

I can also trigger it if I try to reset password from this menu.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It might have something to do with the Sim card.

Once I saw a message when going to check the barring settings:

I can also trigger it if I try to reset password from this menu.

It might be something to do with your network, since you mentioned you are able to make local calls, but not international calls. Did you check out the list of partner networks that are compatible with Koodo? Have you tried out all of the options?

That was it. 3 networks here. When I chose the other two, both provided some voice message that I cannot call that number (tried several numbers). Obviously not a setting in my phone.

I guess that is it. Not much else to do. 

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was it. 3 networks here. When I chose the other two, both provided some voice message that I cannot call that number (tried several numbers). Obviously not a setting in my phone.

I guess that is it. Not much else to do. 

Thank you for your help.

What happens when you add 00 or the + sign before the country code?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you first reset network settings of the phone and see if that can help?

From the descriptions, it seems to be the issue with the dialing of the Canadian number or the local carrier. Can you try to put +1 in front of the Canadian number? If that doesn’t work, you might need a Koodo rep to look into it.

I believe Can. numbers were dialed correctly. Koodo simply might not have an agreement with networks in this part of Iceland.

Installed Yolla. Problem solved. Didn't need Koodo voice calls after all. Did it over data at a fraction of what I would pay otherwise. Good thing too, as I was on a phone with booking.com customer service for 2h.