Koodo Community
Solved

Travelling to USA temporarily using Telus SIM card for drive only

• 12 December 2021
  • 7 replies

I heading to Florida for 6 weeks and I will need data for about 5 days travelling down and 5 days travelling back to book hotels, traffic, etc.

If I buy two Telus prepaid 5 day unlimited data, phone and text SIM cards for the drive (down and back) can I put my Koodo SIM card back in my phone once in Florida to see any incoming text messages? Or do I have to be in Canada in order to have Koodo SIM card connect? 

If I can put my Koodo SIM card back in my phone when in Florida do I need to activate the Easy Roam to see text messages? Do I need to have data still on?

Telus SIM card is cheaper than paying $9 a day x 5 days x 2 both drives.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Sophia 13 December 2021, 01:58

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That's fine but as far as I know Telus doesn't have roaming options on their prepaid plans.

https://www.telus.com/en/nu/support/article/telus-setup-tips-travelling-mobile-devices

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I assumed you are a postpaid customer.

Yes, you could put the Koodo later when you reach Florida.

For roaming in US, your phone is already enabled. Your phone should be able to receive text. “Easyroam” or “pay per use” are just the way you would like to use while you are going there.

However, as your smart phone might try to connect data when you turn it on with the Koodo SIM. Make sure you disable mobile data (cellular data) in your phone. Disable the data roaming also. Otherwise you might be charged with roaming data accidentally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I heading to Florida for 6 weeks and I will need data for about 5 days travelling down and 5 days travelling back to book hotels, traffic, etc.

If I buy two Telus prepaid 5 day unlimited data, phone and text SIM cards for the drive (down and back) can I put my Koodo SIM card back in my phone once in Florida to see any incoming text messages? Or do I have to be in Canada in order to have Koodo SIM card connect? 

If I can put my Koodo SIM card back in my phone when in Florida do I need to activate the Easy Roam to see text messages? Do I need to have data still on?

Telus SIM card is cheaper than paying $9 a day x 5 days x 2 both drives.

Thanks

You don’t need your data to see your text messages, so there is no need to keep your data toggle on. That being said. if you plan to use data in the U.S., you may be better off heading to your nearest store and grab a prepaid SIM card from AT&T or T-Mobile instead. It would be cheaper that way.

@Allan M 

This is what I’ve found available on Amazon.ca. It’s a for a 5 consecutive day period that you can top up for longer if required.  New phone number given for each card. Register the card and then activate when you want the 5 days (or more ) to start.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0846VJW87/ref=sw_img_1?smid=&psc=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Allan M

This is what I’ve found available on Amazon.ca. It’s a for a 5 consecutive day period that you can top up for longer if required.  New phone number given for each card. Register the card and then activate when you want the 5 days (or more ) to start.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0846VJW87/ref=sw_img_1?smid=&psc=1

Ahh those are T-Mobile sim cards, not Telus. That makes more sense😊

@Allan M 

….big thank you!!!!  T-Mobile yes, don’t know why I wrote Telus!

Can you please confirm if the steps below are correct. 

1. I activate Easy Roam while in Canada in case I need it while based in Florida when no days remaining on the T-Mobile SIM card.

2. While in Canada purchase and register T-MOBILE SIM (not Telus……lol) 5 day unlimited data, talk and text cards.

3. Insert and activate T-Mobile SIM card just before leaving for USA for the drive down with new phone number

4. Once installed in the house Florida and the 5 days with T-Mobile are used up, I remove the T-Mobile SIM and put Koodo SIM back in while my phone while hooked up to WiFi of the house

5. I should then get a message from Koodo saying I am on Easy Roam (to use in case of emergency for the remainder of our stay in Florida)

Our return trip would be the same steps until back in Canada but I would only activate the card once we are leaving Florida and would then get a new phone number for the drive back.

***What setting should my iPhone cellular data and roaming data be on for this? 

Can you tell I’m scared of getting a nasty bill…..

TYIA

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Lindsay, as long as you make sure Easy Roam is activated, there is no way you can get a nasty bill, Koodo wise 🙂 And as long as the T-Mobile card is prepaid, you shouldn’t get any bad surprises from them either while in Canada.

The steps you outlined seem fine to me. At worst you’ll get a one time Easy Roam fee for the one day you activate your Koodo SIM in Florida, because sometimes even on WiFi some data can leak through. But with all the expenses that come with a trip, I believe that $7 (I think that is what Easy Roam in the US costs right now, but don’t pin me to it) is not going to break your budget :)

Have a good trip!