Koodo Community
Question

Text messaging without data

• 12 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I purchased a plan for my son’s phone that included unlimited calls and texts with no data. He is able to send text messages when connected to WiFi but when he is out and not on WiFi he is unable to send text messages or receive text messages. The employee that sold me the plan told me that he would be able to send and receive messages without data or WiFi. How do I fix this? Also how do I contact an actual person that works at Koodo?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What plan is your son on? Do you pay for the data block add-on or how are you preventing your son from using data?

The very best plan for texting with no data (needed) is the $15 prepaid plan. It offers 100 minutes (but can be added to with non expiring boosters), unlimited incoming and unlimited text/picture messaging.

Thanks for your reply. The plan is $35 a month and it includes everything below. I have paused his data. My understanding was that he wouldn’t be able use data without a plan that includes data but it seemed like he was using data so I paused it. It sounds like I should move over to the $15 prepaid plan as that includes 100 mins for calling which is more than he needs and unlimited messaging?

• Pay-per-use data
  • Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
  • Call Display+
  • Voicemail
  • Call Waiting and Conference Calling
  • Additional data $13/100 MB
  • Unlimited messaging (text & picture)*
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How is your son texing.. What device? What platform.?  I.E if he is trying to text on a third party app like WhatsApp or Telegram for example… That requires data. 

Not a third party app, he has an iPhone and is using the message app. I was surprised that you didn’t need data to send or receive texts and so I asked the staff and he confirmed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Its because he is probably trying to send his messages as an iMessage. IMessage requires data. 
Please ensure you turn off iMessage when leaving a Wi-Fi connected area or turn on “Send as SMS” to ensure you can still send and receive regular text messages where there is no data.

Hope this helped. :)