Koodo Community
Question

Switch to 5G plan but speed is very slow, takes longer time to load a page

• 17 August 2023
  • 11 replies

I just switched to 5G plan couple days ago, but the speed is very slow,. Sometimes I cannot even connect to speedtest, or takes very long to load. Not sure what’s the problem. I have 5G on, and am using Iphone 14pro. 

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So you show as currently connected to 5G with a decent signal strength? The bars aren’t always accurate but if it’s 2+ bars, it should at least be ok.

Having same problem. Just switched to a 5g plan with a Koodo Pixel 7. Show full bars and 5G symbol, yet speeds are slower than when I was on  LTE (<50 Mbps). I can actually get faster speeds by forcing my phone to connect back to LTE. 

Any suggestions Koodo? Seems unreasonable to pay more for a 5g plan only to get slower speeds...

Having same problem as well. Switched to a 5g plan yesterday. Was previously on 4g speed boost. 

Only getting 3g on Iphone 13 and can’t seem to get LTE anymore. Phone settings is on 5g auto and restarted phone twice.

Can’t do a speedtest because it times out.

Edit: okay phone finally showing 5g...7.58 Mbps down and 0.11 Mbps upload. Guess maybe a bad network day as more people are switching over?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Having same problem as well. Switched to a 5g plan yesterday. Was previously on 4g speed boost. 

Only getting 3g on Iphone 13 and can’t seem to get LTE anymore. Phone settings is on 5g auto and restarted phone twice.

Can’t do a speedtest because it times out.

Edit: okay phone finally showing 5g...7.58 Mbps down and 0.11 Mbps upload. Guess maybe a bad network day as more people are switching over?

Could you reset network settings of the phone to see if new 5G plan settings can show up?

I have the same issue, the network is freez for 1 min then it will have ok speed….. worse than 4G before at koodo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you tried anything mentioned above?

Mine was very good at first couple days. Just found that if I have 3 bar signal if i went downstair, it acts fast. But at 2 bar signal, it will delay and then come back with network not like 4G always have network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Mine was very good at first couple days. Just found that if I have 3 bar signal if i went downstair, it acts fast. But at 2 bar signal, it will delay and then come back with network not like 4G always have network.

Which phone model are you using? have you checked if you switch network mode to 5G auto so the phone can automatically choose the best network for you?

Which phone model are you using? have you checked if you switch network mode to 5G auto so the phone can automatically choose the best network for you?

I am using Iphone 13pro, so not much option to reset or what ever.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Assuming you already reset your network settings, did you try forcing Koodo to use the 5G network? You can set it to 5G On, but it will reduce your battery life. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211828

Assuming you already reset your network settings, did you try forcing Koodo to use the 5G network? You can set it to 5G On, but it will reduce your battery life. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT211828

Hmm your link works very well. When I set the option to 5G ON, the network lagging disapeared, every website loaded instantly. However, if I set the option to LTE, every website loaded instatly as well, no lag at all. Only when I select the default 5G auto, the lag is there, every time access a network resorce. got lag or hanging for a few seconds…. Is this Apple or koodo, I can not tell by now.