Koodo Community

Sim Card says full

• 17 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Since switching to Koodo I have received messages on my cell periodically saying my “Sim Card is full” and i cannot receive text messages.  I also do not have my contacts on the SIM as I used google contacts on my phone.

I checked and did not have any text messages on my SIM.  I only send/receive about a dozen text message a week.    

When I power down/up my cell the SIM Card Full message goes away until it reappears again in 2-4 weeks.

Any help how to fix this would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is strange indeed. What kind of phone are you using?

As well do you happen to have an older sim card?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is your phones’ internal storage space low?

Phone is a Umidigi A( and has 32 GB internal storage with lots of storage left.  Bought the new phone about 3 months ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Phone is a Umidigi A( and has 32 GB internal storage with lots of storage left.  Bought the new phone about 3 months ago.

Do you have the Umidigi A9 (or A9 Pro version)? The model number is missing. 

The only fixes I could find is to reset device settings (no user data loss) try this for a week or two. If the problem persists, factory reset the device. The age of the SIM card could also be a factor. 

Coho - Its the Umidigi A9.  The SIM card is new.  I received it when I subscribed to Koodo in October.  How do you “reset device settings” and a “factory reset”.  Do I lose any data/apps etc if I do a factory reset?   I am a senior and not very phone savy or technology literate.   Thank you  Larry

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes you would lose all phone data if you do a factory reset. Can you still use the phone once that message appears? 

I can still use the phone for calls but messaging stops until I turn the phone off and on.  It then seems to work fine for a few weeks until the “SIM card Full” comes on again.  Very strange.  It seems to be working fine right now.  I powered off/on about a week ago.  Could the SIM card be faulty.  If so can I get a new SIM card from Koodo.   I am a little confused.  The phone has 32 mgs of storage and  I am using less then half of the storage.    Are my text messages and other info stored in the SIM or the phone.   I have a contact list that is stored on Google Contacts.  Does this get stored in the SIM Card or on my phone storage.  I also have alot of apps.  Can you please tell me what is normally stored in the SIM card.  I was under the impression that the SIM card was mainly used for connections to the Koodo network.  Your help is really appreciated.   Larry

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can still use the phone for calls but messaging stops until I turn the phone off and on.  It then seems to work fine for a few weeks until the “SIM card Full” comes on again.  Very strange.  It seems to be working fine right now.  I powered off/on about a week ago.  Could the SIM card be faulty.  If so can I get a new SIM card from Koodo.   I am a little confused.  The phone has 32 mgs of storage and  I am using less then half of the storage.    Are my text messages and other info stored in the SIM or the phone.   I have a contact list that is stored on Google Contacts.  Does this get stored in the SIM Card or on my phone storage.  I also have alot of apps.  Can you please tell me what is normally stored in the SIM card.  I was under the impression that the SIM card was mainly used for connections to the Koodo network.  Your help is really appreciated.   Larry

You can go to your nearest Koodo store to replace your SIM card. As for the text messages, they are generally stored on the phone and not the SIM card. As long as you back them up to your Google account, I don’t think there will be any issues when you transfer them to another device. 

Thanks for the advice Coho.  BTW - went fishing with my brother on Vancouver Island on Oct. 1 and 2 and we limited out with 8 coho (5-8 lbs).   Happy Holidays   Larry

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

SIM cards have limited storage space and at one time were used to store contact information. Google/Android still offers this feature today where you can import/export contacts to your SIM card. A SIM card stores information used to authenticate customers on a cellular network. Other than that, nothing else is stored on a SIM card.

Upon closer inspection, your phone does not include the reset settings feature. Instead, Reset app preferences is listed. This procedure resets system and user apps and permissions to their default values.

This method does not erase anything from your phone and may resolve the SIM card full issue, though it may take a few weeks before the results are in. A factory reset is used as a last resort and as Robert mentioned, erases the entire contents of your phone.

To Reset app preferences, go to Settings - tap Apps & notifications. Tap ‘See all xx apps, (xx represents the number of apps you have.) Tap the menu icon (three dots in the upper right corner of screen) and select Reset app preferences. Tap RESET APPS.

It’s possible the SIM card may be at fault, but this is rare. You’re more than welcome to get a replacement SIM card at your nearest Koodo shop.

Nice catch, btw!