Koodo Community
Solved

SIM card not recognized by Samsung S21

• 31 December 2021
  • 7 replies

So I received my new Samsung Galaxy S21, and activated the SIM card that came with it. I waited an hour, inserted it correctly into the tray, and when I try to do the setup on the phone, it’s telling me to insert a SIM in order to do the setup. But the SIM card is already inserted. I tried others SIMs and the problem is still there. When I insert the same SIM into my old phone, it’s detected automatically. Is it possible that there’s an issue with the SIM tray on the new phone?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 1 January 2022, 22:26

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I received my new Samsung Galaxy S21, and activated the SIM card that came with it. I waited an hour, inserted it correctly into the tray, and when I try to do the setup on the phone, it’s telling me to insert a SIM in order to do the setup. But the SIM card is already inserted. I tried others SIMs and the problem is still there. When I insert the same SIM into my old phone, it’s detected automatically. Is it possible that there’s an issue with the SIM tray on the new phone?

Did you have an existing Koodo SIM card? If so, when you are activating the new SIM card that came with the phone, do you mean that you swapped your old one with it on your Self-Serve account? https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

I had an existing one, but I activated the new one and tried it in my old phone and it’s recognised instantly. The S21 doesn’t recognize that a SIM card has been inserted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I had an existing one, but I activated the new one and tried it in my old phone and it’s recognised instantly. The S21 doesn’t recognize that a SIM card has been inserted. 

Have you tried any of these steps? You may have to reset your network settings or do a factory reset on your phone. https://www.technobezz.com/samsung-galaxy-s21-s21-plus-is-not-detecting-the-sim-card-ways-to-fix-it

Also, I can’t get to the steps in the article because I can’t start the phone’s setup because it doesn’t detect a SIM card and won’t let the setup wizard start.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, I can’t get to the steps in the article because I can’t start the phone’s setup because it doesn’t detect a SIM card and won’t let the setup wizard start.

It is possible your device is having issues. I would suggest you to bring it to a Koodo store or Mobile Klinik location to get it assessed. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/warranty-and-repair-policy

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To get past mobile network setup, (an area of the setup wizard) power off your S21. Remove the SIM card and leave out until after setup. Power on the S21, select language and tap Next. Connect to mobile networks should be Off, tap Next.

This bypasses mobile network setup and should allow your S21 to connect to a Wi-Fi network to complete a basic setup. When setup is complete and at the Home screen, power off the S21. Insert the SIM tray/card and power on the phone.

Check to see that your S21 has mobile network access. If the SIM card is still not detected, follow MilkyWay’s recommendation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You did restart the phone after inserting the sim, right? Most phones only scan the sim card on startup.