Koodo Community
Question

setting up preferred network and enabling voLTE on a non koodo phone

• 8 January 2023
  • 7 replies

I recently bought a Redmi note 11. When I type in *#*#4636#*#* I want to make sure my preferred network type is set to the correct type. Can someone confirm is is correct please? Second I have voLTE added on my account and this phone supports it but it is greyed out. Dors Koodo have to enable it for this phone?? I really will like this feature activated please.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is there a setting in preferred networks that shows GSM/WCDMA/LTE (auto connect)?

I’m not sure if that matters, I’m used to seeing auto connect. (PRL) refers to the Preferred Roaming List. Other than that, the preferred network setting looks correct.

Have you tried activating Wi-Fi Calling on your phone?

This might automatically provision VoLTE on your device.

I do not see wifi calling option where it should be. After a search I found this.

"Tap Wi-Fi calling. If you can't see this option, it will be because your operator doesn't support this feature."

Would a old sim card effect this option from showing? I was thinking of maybe buying a new sim card.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Redmi phone wasn't on their VoLTE/voWifi list though https://www.koodomobile.com/help/volte

You could check your self-serve, plan and add-on to see if you had the "volte access" add-on or not. However if the phone wasn't on the list, you might not be able to use those features with Koodo.

I have the add on. Is this something I can request Koodo adds to the list? Koodo please add Redmi phones to the list for voLTE. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have the add on. Is this something I can request Koodo adds to the list? Koodo please add Redmi phones to the list for voLTE. :)

Koodo is unlikely to enable volte for these phones in near future or at all, unfortunately. They mentioned they need to test devices and certify them before any phone can be added. If the device wasn't destined for Canadian market, you would have a hard time to make it work with Koodo (and other Canadian carriers).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since Koodo is under the TELUS umbrella, you should be able to check device compatibility by entering your phone’s IMEI number. To obtain your phone’s IMEI number, dial *#06#. 

I don’t see the Redmi Note 11 listed in their compatible device list either. 

VoLTE (Voice over LTE) | Help | TELUS - Click on ‘Check if your phone is supported’.

Thanks for the replies.