Koodo Community
Question

Phone won't roam in Cuba

• 9 January 2023
  • 1 reply

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S10+ from Telus in Summer 2019. With that phone I went to Cuba, Boston and NYC twice from then until March 2020. Everything always worked perfectly. I switched from Telus to Koodo in February 2021 with a monthly plan.

I went to Cuba in November 2021 and March 2022. Both of these trips my phone did not roam or connect to a network whatsoever. I never got the “Welcome to Cuba” text message, couldn’t send a text, couldn’t call anyone in an emergency. The only way I could use it was if there was wifi. I added easy roam before going as I was going to heavily rely on my phone to get us around Havana where we didn’t have wifi. 

Both trips I traveled with someone else, both of these people had no issues with their phones at all. One Android who is with Freedom, the other an iPhone who is with Koodo as well. I troubleshooted as much as possible while there; changed every setting, restarted, turned settings on and off, Googled when I could… nothing worked. Upon return I went to a Koodo store in person. The employee spent an hour looking over my account and my phone settings, he found nothing wrong. He suggested I call Koodo. I did so and they too found nothing wrong and had no solution to the problem. 

I’m headed back to Cuba on January 22 and while I don’t have plans to leave the resort this time I would like have the option to use my phone if need be. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you add the Easy Roam International add-on to your account?

Did you add the pay-per-use add-ons to your account?

Was data roaming enabled on your phone?

Cubacel appears to be the only partner network operator in Cuba that is compatible with Koodo. When you return to Cuba, set your phone to manual network selection and select Cubacel.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/easyroam

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/easy-roam