Koodo Community
Question

Phone overheats and calls get dropped

• 14 July 2022
  • 8 replies

I’m reporting two issues. I recently transferred over from another provider while keeping the same phone that I’ve had for about a year, so I know my phone itself isn’t the issue.

I’ve only started using Koodo for the last couple of days and I am discovering that my phone starts to overheat greatly while I am on calls and this may or may not be related to my calls getting dropped. It could be a separate issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? Is this a faulty sim card?

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Annicus 

We suggest, if possible, to test the phone with a different sim card (if possible, a non-Koodo one) and contact our technical support by scheduling a call back through the virtual assist: https://koo.do/Chat

Hi @Annicus 

We suggest, if possible, to test the phone with a different sim card (if possible, a non-Koodo one) and contact our technical support by scheduling a call back through the virtual assist: https://koo.do/Chat

Hi! So I’ve literally received this sim card 2 days ago. And I’ve been using a Fido sim card for a year now and it has never happened with that sim card. I’d test it, but I know what i’d be expecting?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The SIM card job was just to help the phone identify the network. If the phone was hotter than usual, it was likely some issue with the phone, in particular the battery. If you can, you could just visit a Koodo kiosk and ask them for a different SIM and test. 

Also, the daily temperature was increasing due to summer time. I wonder that played a role in the issue. Also, you can try to reset network settings and see if any app might run in the background while you were making calls. 
btw, which phone model was it?

Hey Dinh,

these possibilities were all eliminated prior.

It’s a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

I did check again with the Fido sim card and it was not an issue with overheating.

I am in an air conditioned unit so atmospheric temperature is also not an issue.

I had forced stopped apps and the phone was still overheating.

My guess is somehow the phone was trying to connect to networks and couldn’t so it kept trying which made it overheat. Whether this was caused by a koodo sim card? Hard to tell. I just know it coincided with me starting to use it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Dinh,

these possibilities were all eliminated prior.

It’s a Samsung Galaxy A32 5G.

I did check again with the Fido sim card and it was not an issue with overheating.

I am in an air conditioned unit so atmospheric temperature is also not an issue.

I had forced stopped apps and the phone was still overheating.

My guess is somehow the phone was trying to connect to networks and couldn’t so it kept trying which made it overheat. Whether this was caused by a koodo sim card? Hard to tell. I just know it coincided with me starting to use it.

Koodo is operating on a different bands compared with Fido/Rogers. So that could be an issue (but I don’t think it was). If you are not happy,  you can always switch back to them. 
if you wanted a definite answer, you can try to reset the phone to its factory settings with Koodo SIM in it. That would hopefully bring the phone to work normally. You would have to make sure you got all data save and be able to restore them if you choose to do so.

My intention for posting here was hoping to find a solution and avoid going back to a provider I just left and avoiding a hard reset on everything. I will try a Koodo store. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is this happening regardless of where you are?

Hi Goran, so far I’ve only noticed from making calls from home. I haven’t made a call while being out yet but I can definitely try and report back.