Koodo Community
Question

No Cell OR Home Phone Service!

• 23 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

My Koodo Home Phone was working fine this afternoon. I was away from the unit, and when I came back to it, there is nothing but a Red Y - no bars whatsoever. My cellphone also has no bars. What the heck is going on?? I’m seriously thinking of using another carrier, as getting support for Koodo is basically non-existent. It’s ridiculous.

And before you tell me to unhook the home phone and wait and reconnect it, I’ve done that twice already and it doesn’t work. I checked my cellphone to find that there are no bars on it either. Can someone please help with this?

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If both your Koodo cellular phone and your home phone had issues with signal, the issue could be from the reception in your area? 

How was your outdoor signal? Can your cellphone pick up any bar outside?

Userlevel 2

The reception here has never been really good. I’ve had to go out on my deck a couple of times to get a signal. But I’ve never had a problem with the home phone not having any bars whatsoever. Right now the Red Y is green, but there are still no bars showing. At least now I have an actual dial tone on the home phone. There are still no bars on my cellphone though. It’s not like I can call Bell Aliant and tell them we need more towers in our area, when I’m not even using them for my land line. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo, Telus, Bell, Virgin etc all use the same towers, so changing to one of those will not make a difference if your issue is tower reception. Rogers/Fido have their own towers.

Where we live, some areas have exceptional Telus coverage and hardly any Rogers reception and basically the next street it's reversed. It might be worth your while to test your house if it works any better with Rogers or subsidiaries.

Userlevel 2

I realize they all use the same towers, but the telephone poles are put in by and serviced by Bell Aliant, where I live at least. I’ll wait and see what it does tomorrow. Like I said, this has never happened before with the home phone. That’s what I was most concerned about. I rarely use my cellphone - I take it with me if I go out, and to send and receive texts, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The information marked a), b) and c) are network status indicators for your wireless home phone (or WHP).

a) A solid green Y icon (with signal strength bars) indicates the device is connected to an LTE network; signal strength low to high.​​​​​​

b) A solid orange Y icon (with signal strength bars) indicates the device is connected to a UMTS (3G) network; signal strength low to high.

c) A solid red Y icon (no signal strength bars) indicates limited or no service, searching for service, network registration failed

According to your description of the problem, status indicator a) points to a very low signal strength issue. Though, status indicator c) points to the initial problem.

In past conversations (a year or two ago), I think you were able to find a good spot for your WHP in terms of keeping the unit away from sources of interference and near a window or outside wall. Have you recently moved your WHP from this location?

Userlevel 2

I know what all the indicators mean. The unit is in the same location that it was two years ago. As I said, it worked fine yesterday afternoon when a friend called.  The Y is red again this morning, which means I have NO way for people to call me. I don’t know what to do. I take care of my 97 yr old mom, and I cannot be without a phone.

Userlevel 2

Update:

I just had a call come in, and while we were talking it lost the connection. I’m SO frustrated right now!

OK, I’ve moved the unit to a whole different part of the house, and I’m getting between two and three green bars. It’s inconvenient to have it there, because I have to go there to make sure I have bars, and I have to try and remember to put the phone in the charging base every night, but at least I have service!