Koodo Community
Solved

New 5G Plan - Samsung S20 Ultra 5G Phone but no 5G Network

• 10 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I recently changed my mobile phone plan to the new 5G plan offered from Koodo on my Koodo-bought "Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G" but it doesn't seem to give me the 5G option/signal network anywhere. That's literally the only reason I switched over the new plan since I had originally bought this 5G phone from Koodo for that specific purpose.

I live in a 5G covered area. Tried to restart my phone, reset my Network settings, remove/re-insert my SIM card to no avail. I saw another post about someone with a S20 FE 5G having similar issues where multiple people with that same phone are having this issue too, but no one with my phone model specifically so I decided to see if someone else here has this issue.

My partner has a Samsung S21 Ultra and she gets 5G network some times randomly without even being on the Koodo 5G plan (she still has her old 4G plan). She sees the "5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM" mobile network option on her phone but I do not, I only see "LTE/WCDMA/GSM". 

Is there something I'm missing here? Maybe a Technical Koodo Representative has some insight on if something needs to be activated on my phone to activate the 5G network availability on their network?

I'm hoping something can be done to fix this because I'm kind of sad if I switched over to a 5G plan for my 5G phone that doesn't even let me use 5G when my previous plan was way cheaper to begin with (which I can no longer select, of course...)

Thanks to anyone that might have some idea what could be causing this.

icon

Best answer by Nabawi232 11 September 2023, 03:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does your phone have any updates available?

I think I have the most recent updates, after comparing with other Samsung Phone owners too.

Last Samsung Update was August 23rd, 2023 but I think that was just a Security Update.

Userlevel 3

I'm experiencing the same issue but I have the Galaxy S20 FE 5G and it seems that this is an issue affecting the S20 series only. It's getting ridiculous at this point and I'm thinking of filing a CCTS complaint because we are paying extra for a feature that they refuse to enable on this device. This is unacceptable.

No 5G option here either and I'm on the latest update

That's so weird. Did you ever get a hold of Koodo support or anyone that could explain the actual reason it's this way? I feel like this doesn't make sense, there must be something they can do or explain, I don't see any official response on this anywhere.

If I had known from the start I wouldn't have bought this 5G phone from Koodo nor switched to the 5G plan at the very least..

Userlevel 3

That's so weird. Did you ever get a hold of Koodo support or anyone that could explain the actual reason it's this way? I feel like this doesn't make sense, there must be something they can do or explain, I don't see any official response on this anywhere.

If I had known from the start I wouldn't have bought this 5G phone from Koodo nor switched to the 5G plan at the very least..

Yeah I spoke to a Tech Support rep last week and she said that it is a known issue and Samsung is refusing to enable 5G because they no longer support the S20 series which is insane.

I decided to do a callback with a Technical Representative as well to double down on the last comment here.

I can confirm that the same answer was given: Samsung is holding off on patching the S20 phone series with the 5G capabilities (even if they were advertised as being 5G ready when selling them which seems that it wasn’t true). This means Koodo can’t do anything until Samsung decides to submit a patch to resolve this issue.

If you are in the same boat, I’d suggest changing your plans down to 4G if desired to reduce the price of your mobile phone plan since it can only that, and then revisit the new 5G plans later when Samsung submits the fix for this issue with the S20 Phone series. Unfortunate to say the least (sad even), but Koodo can’t do anything about this issue and are awaiting Samsung’s fix.

Thanks everyone for reaching out and giving all the information to try and make sense of this issue.