Koodo Community
Question

LTE speed very slow

• 1 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Hey there,

I just moved to koodo.

I tried a speed test because the mobile Internet seemed to rush. I barely got 4mb in download... my brother next to me is with koodo for years. He did a speed test on his 4G, he got 125 mb in download... I put my SIM card in his phone, we did a speed test, 4-5mb again.

Conclusion : the issue is not my phone, it's my plan!

Now I read on reddit a huge amount of feedback from people complaining of the same thing. So I'm here to get some help because I've been promised 4G speed so I want 4G speed lol. 

Is it slow because I just moved to koodo and need to wait a bit for setup to be completed and all this or is there anything else? Earlier this evening, when trying to connect on data, it said "connected, no internet".

I already tried to reset many mobile settings like network type, APNs, etc. I restarted the phone and all. Now, when connecting on Mobile data, it says "4G" instead of "no internet" but the speed is still terrifyingly low.

Thanks to anyone who will help with this. :)

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you just switched from Koodo, you should be at regular speed immediately. Which phone do you have? If you check mobile networks and network connections, which Option do you have?

Showing as 4G is actually the very slow version of 4G/LTE. If you show as LTE, you should have the proper speed. It's a little complicated from the official 3GPP defintion vs the terms carriers use. Can you try switching Sim cards between phones with your brother to see if the problem follows?

4G may be the slow version but 4mb is still the half speed of 3G soooooo…

My phone is a Umidigi Bison. Previously used on Videotron Network and the speed was much higher. 

I tried my bro SIM card in my phone and it was much faster than what I got on my own SIM card. I was at least at 25mb. When i tried again my own card on my own phone, it was lower that 1mb. My dialup connection 20 years ago was faster than that. 🤣

There must be a way to fix this. I read way too much comments on Reddit from people complaining that any recent plan swap on koodos ended up with ridiculously slow speed of 2-3-4mb. 

Checked again, my phone cover almost all frequencies, is VoLTE compatible... 

I noticed something else that never happened before.

I turn off everything on my phone including wifi. When i try to turn on the mobile data, it keeps saying "no internet". I turn on wifi, then mobile data, oh suddenly I have 4G. There is something wrong with Koodo right now. It never did that before with Vidéotron. I never ever had an issue to get connected mobile data on (unless having no signal at all like in some buildings or a network outage).

So there is definitely an issue somewhere.

Edit: in fact, when i turn on wifi then mobile data, it says 4G. When i turn off wifi, mobile data swap and says "no internet" instead of 4G. I restarted the phone dozen times, tried to reset as many settings as possible, made sure APN information are the right ones... Someone will have to save me 🤣🤣🤣

So, I bumped into this thread:

https://community.koodomobile.com/tips-tricks-troubleshooting-232914/data-not-working-7808541

I decided to enter manually all the settings and ended up finding that the APN supplied by the network contains a proxy server. That's this entry that mess up the mobile data (both the speed and my issue about wifi and mobile data).

Doing a few more tests and I'll see.

EDIT: I could get a speed of 45mb. We don't have the best network signal in here and it's highly possible that my phone is less fancy that the one of my bro. But my dad, who is waiting on his koodo SIM card to arrive in the mail, is still connected on videotron with a similar phone (not the same model exactly but same kind of specs) and on videotron he was getting 42-45mb aswell.

So i could say now it make much more sense and this I can live with it. I'll update if i get any more trouble and if everything is fine within a week, I'll just post here to confirm the issue is solved just to help future customers that may bump in same issue.

Cheers people!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Vorrrace Any chance we could look at your brother’s account. If you could share his first name (assume last name to be the same) we should be able to look at his account and see what if any difference between yours and his.  There is no way any plan changes would cause such swing in speed. so we just want to dig into things and learn. Thanks a million!

Hey @Bernard Koodo 

As I said, the issue was related to the supplied APN. For some reasons, the APN provided by the Network has a proxy server setup. And the said server is located in British Columbia. That may explain the issue and the terrifying speed.

So I made a custom APN identical to the one provided except I removed the proxy server. And now I have a speed similar to what I had on videotron. It may be possible that my phone doesn't support the highest speed though I thought it was supposed to but well. I'll try to make my own research about that cuz I doubt you can help with this?!

But current speed is fine (45-50mbps). I'm not really streaming or anything. Just mostly using map and browser when i need pieces of information while not at home. 

Thanks for replying though, very efficient service :)