Koodo Community

help! apartment buzzer not working

• 22 December 2021
  • 14 replies

I don’t know if anyone is able to help. But I’ve been living in my apartment for 7 years now. And I have my cellphone connected to the front buzzer so when someone calls I can let them in by pressing 9 on my phone. But all of a sudden it stopped working a few months ago. (After about 6.5 years) which I thought was strange. I had an iPhone 8. My strata manager said he has looked into it (so he says) but says it’s just my phone? (Everyone else’s works though..) so I went and got a brand new phone a few months ago, iPhone 12. And it still will not work. So it can’t be the phone. When you try to buzz me it just goes straight to my voicemail and it doesn’t even show the front door ringing on my phone at all. I have a friend in the building and she has no issues at all. Not sure if there’s anything else I can do. I’ve made sure the front door number isn’t blocked on my phone or anything but I find it strange because it just stopped working all of a sudden after 6.5 years and it’s very annoying because strata won’t do anything about it and says it’s not the call box. Not sure what else I can do?!

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try turning off LTE on your iPhone 12.

To do this, go to Settings > Cellular - tap Cellular Data Options - tap Voice & Data and select 3G. Test and let us know if this has resolved the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

By any chance, did you change your phone number in the meantime?

To do this, go to Settings > Cellular - tap Cellular Data Options - tap Voice & Data and select 3G. Test and let us know if this has resolved the problem.

I tried this but no change unfortunately :( does the same thing. 

By any chance, did you change your phone number in the meantime?

I did not! I’ve had the same number for like 15 years or so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is it possible to add the phone number that the building uses for the buzzer into your contacts?

Another area to check: go to Settings - scroll down to Phone - then scroll down to Silence Unknown Callers and set to Off.

Is it possible to add the phone number that the building uses for the buzzer into your contacts?

Another area to check: go to Settings - scroll down to Phone - then scroll down to Silence Unknown Callers and set to Off.

Those were the first 2 things I actually tried! Still no luck..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Try downloading the Fongo Mobile app and set the buzzer to call your Fongo phone number. Fongo Mobile gives you a free local Canadian phone number and the app works over Wi-Fi or mobile data.

Fongo Mobile app

The only other possible solution I could find was to turn off mobile data. 

Try downloading the Fongo Mobile app and set the buzzer to call your Fongo phone number. Fongo Mobile gives you a free local Canadian phone number and the app works over Wi-Fi or mobile data.

Fongo Mobile app

The only other possible solution I could find was to turn off mobile data. 

Tried all of that and still does not work.. I don’t understand why it just stopped after like 6 years :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Tried all of that and still does not work.. I don’t understand why it just stopped after like 6 years :(

You may need to speak to the management company for your building to figure that out. Did they add +1 to your number into the intercom system? 

You may need to speak to the management company for your building to figure that out. Did they add +1 to your number into the intercom system? 

They just say it’s my phone… I didn’t think it was but  that’s why I got a new phone, and obviously that didn’t help. He said it had a 1 added. But I messaged again today to check. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

They just say it’s my phone… I didn’t think it was but  that’s why I got a new phone, and obviously that didn’t help. He said it had a 1 added. But I messaged again today to check. 

Did you add the + symbol, then the 1 and then the intercom phone number?

On your iPhone, long pressing on zero will force the + symbol to appear.

Did you add the + symbol, then the 1 and then the intercom phone number?

On your iPhone, long pressing on zero will force the + symbol to appear.

Yes I did! I feel like I’ve done everything and it’s just not going to work..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sounds like the apt bldg is dropping the visitor’s call, maybe because of a lag in handshaking and routing to your cel.

If you have a helpful bldg manager or neighbor, ask them to try forwarding their buzzer number to your phone for one test to see if the call makes it thru to your handset.

If the test works: patchwork, but might be worth a try: Get a local VoIP number, use that for the door entry and have those calls forwarded to your phone, OR just use a VoIP app on your phone to deal with the doorbell.

Hi @bbroadbent 
Was your issue resolved?
I am having the same issue with my number. I just switched to koodo