Koodo Community
Question

Avoid roaming for incoming 2FA with two sim cards?

• 25 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I purchased an eSim for an upcoming international trip which I plan to use exclusively while away (except hopefully can still receive 2FA verification texts on my primary sim) but I need the proper settings for the iPhone device so I can receive texts for 2FA on the Koodo Sim without triggering Easy Roaming, and use the eSim for all my data needs. Can someone explain in simple terms the steps I need to follow? Assuming I’m a technology toddler here and need ALL the steps. My past experience has been to stay in Airplane mode, or remove one Sim for a local Sim, but with 2FA texts needed for practically everything these days, I’m embracing another #$@! learning curve. TIA

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Really just want to make sure that cellular data and the default voice line are set to the sim you want to use while roaming.

Also will want to make sure this is off (which can be found by tapping on cellular data):

After that, just make sure you aren’t placing any calls or texts from your canadian sim.
When placing calls, make sure it says the right sim at the top:

And when texting, choose the right one at the top:
​​​​

Thanks Allan. I don’t plan to make calls or even send texts with either Sim, I just want to receive texts on Primary (2FA verification) without roaming costs and use the secondary local eSim for data/maps/google. I’m just not sure how to remain receptive to incoming sms on Primary but utilize data on secondary. 

Would I need to toggle the Allow Cellular Data Switching to ON and just be cautious about using the correct Sim when requiring data, will it be that obvious?

Do I also need to prevent voicemail from picking up calls on my Primary Sim?

Thanks so much for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Would I need to toggle the Allow Cellular Data Switching to ON and just be cautious about using the correct Sim when requiring data, will it be that obvious?

It will not. If you turn allow cellular data switching to be on, then your phone will just use whichever sim card has the best signal, you will have no control over which one is using data.

Do I also need to prevent voicemail from picking up calls on my Primary Sim?

People leaving voicemails is okay. You just can’t call your voicemail to listen to it as that would be considered a call and you will get charged for it.