Koodo Community
Solved

New Koodo SIM, New Phone, Can't transfer number

• 28 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi, Just signed up for Koodo, registered for self serve, received SIM card, plan all signed up, etc.  Today, Google sent me new phone which I had purchased separately.   The new phone, with Koodo SIM card, is live and working, as is old phone with Telus SIM card.  I have repeatedly tried to transfer my cell number from my existing phone (Telus account) to new Google phone with Koodo SIM card, but keep getting an error message.  Koodo instructions on website do NOT explain how to deal with both number transfer AND new phone. Is there some order I should do things in?  Help, please!

icon

Best answer by Chris Koodo 28 April 2022, 15:14

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It doesn't matter if the phone is new or not.

What error appears when you try to port your number? 

An Error Occurred.

Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again.

Back to mobile services

I’ve tried every combination: account number only, IMEI number only, both of them.  Same result.  The only thing that might be messing with the system’s brain is that my Telus phone account is in my wife’s name (we have both her phone and mine, but under one account number, hers).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sometimes it helps if you clear your cookies or try another browser. Do you still get the error in that case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Pete36 - Hey there! It looks like your wife’s account has Port Protection added. Your wife will need to contact TELUS to have that removed before you can be allowed to transfer over your number

@Chris Koodo  - You are correct!  I had enabled port protection.  I called Telus, got it removed, re-tried the online number transfer, and it worked immediately and without a hitch.  Thank you, @Chris Koodo !

I’ll send a note to Koodo that they should update their instructions and FAQs to mention this potential wrinkle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Great recommendation @Pete36  - I’ll pass the feedback on to the team who is responsible for those pages 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

An Error Occurred.

Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again.

@Chris Koodo another suggestion from my side: it would sure help if the error were a little less generic than what @Pete36 quoted above. If it had mentioned the port protection, he wouldn’t have had to post the question 😄