Koodo Community
Question

Samsung S23 Ultra: RAM

• 11 January 2024
  • 12 replies

Hi,

I am looking to purchase the S23 Ultra but it says under technical specifications that it is offering both 8GB RAM and 12GB RAM? Which is it? Also, how do I get the cables and power supply? This is so bizarre that they are not sold together! 

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

there is actually two different variants of the phones that can be purchased. The first is a 8GB of Ram model with 256 GB of storage. The other is the same model, it just has 12GB of Ram instead and is slightly more expensive. It is just two different versions of the phone, you will have the option to choose one or the other. All phones as of the Samsung Galaxy S20 only come with a USB-C to USB-C cable. This has been a standard for some time, it first began with Apple doing it with the iPhone 12 and then the rest of the companies followed suit. Any Type-C cable will work fine, so if you have an older Samsung or android device that used type-C charging before, those charges will work the same. If you wish to use the cable included in the box of the S23 Ultra, you will need to purchase a Type-C wall block. You can buy these from pretty much anywhere for as low as $20. I agree, it sucks but it does reduce a lot of E-waste from companies doing this, however now you have to purchase another block and your old USB ones will not work for the cable that comes with the device so do not try to plug it into one as it wont work. I hope this information helps 😊👍

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

there is actually two different variants of the phones that can be purchased. The first is a 8GB of Ram model with 256 GB of storage. The other is the same model, it just has 12GB of Ram instead and is slightly more expensive. It is just two different versions of the phone, you will have the option to choose one or the other. All phones as of the Samsung Galaxy S20 only come with a USB-C to USB-C cable. This has been a standard for some time, it first began with Apple doing it with the iPhone 12 and then the rest of the companies followed suit. Any Type-C cable will work fine, so if you have an older Samsung or android device that used type-C charging before, those charges will work the same. If you wish to use the cable included in the box of the S23 Ultra, you will need to purchase a Type-C wall block. You can buy these from pretty much anywhere for as low as $20. I agree, it sucks but it does reduce a lot of E-waste from companies doing this, however now you have to purchase another block and your old USB ones will not work for the cable that comes with the device so do not try to plug it into one as it wont work. I hope this information helps 😊👍

Sorry I was slightly incorrect there as I just remembered that the 256GB variant of the device comes with 8GB of RAM where as the 512GB and 1TB models come with the 12GB of RAM. You can select which amount of storage you would like upon ordering but keep in mid that the higher storage and RAM models are more expensive. This is why in the technical specifications it reads 8GB, 12GB and right above it reads 256GB and 512GB. The 256 is for the 8GB of RAM and the 512 is for the 12 GB. My Bad :)

Thanks, yes it does help. However I still cannot choose the 12GB of RAM at the higher price - there is only  one price. Basically they don’t give you an option but fool you into thinking that you might get 12GB RAM when you’re only getting 8GB:

Under technical details they give you this, which is obviously misleading:

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks, yes it does help. However I still cannot choose the 12GB of RAM at the higher price - there is only  one price. Basically they don’t give you an option but fool you into thinking that you might get 12GB RAM when you’re only getting 8GB:

Yeah sorry as I quickly mentioned there the higher storage model is the one that includes the more RAM, I agree they should probably just have it that it say 8GB of Ram for 256GB of storage or 12GB of Ram for 512GB of storage, but like most companies they like to be complicated 😅

Ahh, thanks. So does this mean that the 512 is out of stock or never available?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

That’s correct, by the looks of it the phone is currently out of stock. I have seen it available from time to time but the higher storage model seems to be more popular due to the higher amount of RAM, though 8GB for a cell phone tends to be more than fine for most people. Your option if you really want the higher RAM and storage is to either keep checking back for when it is available or settle for the 256GB version. I imagine they’re sold out due to the Boxing day and Christmas sales that just passed.

Thanks so much for your help, I’ll wait! Maybe Valentines :-)

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Thanks so much for your help, I’ll wait! Maybe Valentines :-)

Anytime :) that or phone companies tend to work quarterly, so the good deals tend to come every three months. That and the Samsung Unpacked event is happening this month so you may see a price drop when they announce the new phones in the next couple of weeks, keep a look out it might be worth it 😊

Wow, thank you!!!

Hi,

I am really confused. I really want the Samsung S23 Ultra 512MB but I see the price just went up for the 256MB from $455 to $858?! Is this for real or is this the price for the 512MB and there is a mistake on the website?

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

it seems to be the legit price. As I mentioned before, phone companies tend to work quarterly so the pricing tends to fluctuate quite frequently in order to stay competitive. For example, January as a whole is not a great time to buy a phone however pricing tends to be for the better come March, then June, then September for back to school and after that you’re back into the holiday season. It seems the before pricing has expired and has now ended. Now all you have to do is wait for the pricing to change again, it never stays the same and can change weekly. Hopefully they go down with the release of the s24 series this coming week, but this is how the game is played. This is also similar for cars too, one week the pricing is low but can go up again the week after, it’s not a set price. But keep your eye out! It is sure to go down again.