Koodo Community

Please see this before considering to getting Certified Pre-Owned iPhones

• 13 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4

Edit: *Typo in title* Can’t Edit* Wrote this out of so much anger and frustration that I forgot to double check* 

My rant starts below:

Please take a look at this before getting a Certified Pre-Owned iPhones. How Koodo contradicts their own policies:

They admit that they can’t guarantee all the parts will be genuine.

But they claim CPO iPhones will perform the way its meant to be:

With iPhones if non genuine part is used then it doesn’t perform the way it should!

Example:

iPhone would complain “not functioning as expected” because it’s a fake display
Here notice True Tone is Missing and it’s not a Retina display either (i.e. not OLED). it’s cheap LCD screen.

Conclusion: Koodo doesn’t ensure everything works the way it’s meant to.

Hope this helps anyone who is considering to get a Certified Pre-Owned iPhone. Save yourself the trouble. Even though they agreed to send an exchange but they won’t guarantee all parts will be genuine. So it’s a hit or miss. But they don’t consider this when setting the prices for CPO phone. Who says the world is a fair place anyway lol.

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 4

Update:

Found more user complaints for CPO iPhones:

Reddit Post#1 Battery in a "certified pre-owned" phone?

Reddit Post#2 Bad CPO Phones

Redflagdeals: Fake display CPO iPHONE

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Saying if non-genuine parts are used, a phone won’t perform as it should is very apple-propaganda for anti right to repair. There is nothing wrong with third party options if they are of equivalent specs. Replacement batteries are often from the same factories. There is a possibility of tolerances being looser for third party options, or ones that didn’t meet quality control levels for Apple, but it’s proper batteries.

But I’ve said it multiple times: I think it’s garbage that some of these phones are being repaired with lcd screens instead of oled. Koodo should be held to account if it uses differently spec’d components. I think this calls for an investigation well above and beyond what a CCTS complaint would likely achieve for this. I would no longer recommend CPO phones from Koodo for this reason. I used to get basically mint condition CPOs from Koodo, but it seems those days are over.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you really check with your local Shell gas station to see what cars they will sell you? If they did make a corporate decision to sell cars, they would insist that you have to stick to buying their gas for the duration. Any vehicle repair/reconditioning would be outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Buy your car from someone that specializes in providing customer satisfaction for a car purchase. Buy your gas wherever you want without owing a big balance on your fuel credit card. Ditto for your phone.

You can buy a top-of-the-line-2 years ago handset for about ¼ of the original cost with a decent guarantee from many suppliers online.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Technically speaking, the iPhone 11 never had an OLED display to begin with.

The iPhone 11 with its Liquid Retina HD display, uses a 6.1-inch (diagonal) all-screen LCD Multi-Touch display with IPS technology. In comparison, the iPhone XS with its Super Retina HD display, uses a 5.8‑inch (diagonal) all‑screen OLED Multi‑Touch display.

iPhone 11 | Technical Specifications

iPhone XS | Technical Specifications

One way to remedy this situation is to sell iPhones that were sent back within the 15 or 30-day return period. This eliminates the need for non-genuine ‘replacements’.

If selling CPO iPhones that are more than one year old, customers should be made aware that they are purchasing an iPhone that contains non-genuine parts (if applicable). Battery health should be displayed as well. This allows customers to make an informed decision and Koodo comes across as a trusted and transparent reseller of CPO iPhones.

Userlevel 4

Do you really check with your local Shell gas station to see what cars they will sell you? If they did make a corporate decision to sell cars, they would insist that you have to stick to buying their gas for the duration. Any vehicle repair/reconditioning would be outsourced to the lowest bidder.

Buy your car from someone that specializes in providing customer satisfaction for a car purchase. Buy your gas wherever you want without owing a big balance on your fuel credit card. Ditto for your phone.

You can buy a top-of-the-line-2 years ago handset for about ¼ of the original cost with a decent guarantee from many suppliers online.

In that case they should specify that these phone don’t have genuine parts. So customer are aware of what they are getting. The gas price displayed at a Shell vs ESSO gas station will help someone where they want to buy gas from! 

Koodo should not claim everything works at it’s meant to. Yes, with a cheap non genuine LCD the phone can display everything, but it doesn’t give full feature of that(missing True Tone). 

Userlevel 1

Definitely agree. My pre owned phone broke within a week. Shot motherboard and I was receiving the same notification. Non-genuine part. Now they are refusing to refund any money and let me return it. Will definitely be switching to a different carrier after today. “Choose happy” my rear!