Koodo Community
Solved

is the free iPhone 11 locked to Koodo? Is it mandatory to boot the new iPhone 11 with a Koodo sim card?

• 29 November 2022
  • 10 replies

my husband got a free iphone 11 from Koodo. Its brand new and sealed. I want to know if he sends it to his mother in Bangladesh in sealed condition, will she be able to use the iPhone there? I heard from someone that it is mandatory to boot the new iPhone 11 with a Koodo sim card, is it true?

icon

Best answer by fch 4 December 2022, 19:36

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No phones bought in Canada are locked since 2018!

And as well, it’s not mandatory to put a Koodo sim in first.

It's not locked.  It is the same as an iPhone purchased directly from apple.  Should be able to stick in a Bangladeshi sim card and work as normal.

One more question, if the original  owner of the phone (in canada) switches from Koodo before 2 years, will the iphone be blacklisted?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

One more question, if the original  owner of the phone (in canada) switches from Koodo before 2 years, will the iphone be blacklisted?

Not as long as any remaining tab balance/tab bonus is paid.

No.  However since there was a subsidy given for signing a 24 month contract, if you leave before 24 months, you will have to pay back whatever that subsidy was on the final bill Koodo sends.

Thank you for answering, guys. I appreciate all your responses.
If the brand new sealed iphones do not need to be booted with a Koodo SIM card, now I am thinking of getting one as well from Marketplace (originally provided by koodo) to send to my sister in Bangladesh. Would you guys recommend?

Thank you for answering, guys. I appreciate all your responses.
If the brand new sealed iphones do not need to be booted with a Koodo SIM card, now I am thinking of getting one as well from Marketplace (originally provided by koodo) to send to my sister in Bangladesh. Would you guys recommend?

Sure.  I guarantee there's lots of people flipping their "free" iPhone 11s on marketplace as we speak.

Helloooo everyone, is there anyone out here who has a similar experience like me? I am hearing so many mixed reviews that now I am worried. I still heard from a friend today that the free phones from Koodo has to be booted with a Koodo SIM card at first :(
Please share your experiences and feel free to drop suggestions
thank youuu all

Helloooo everyone, is there anyone out here who has a similar experience like me? I am hearing so many mixed reviews that now I am worried. I still heard from a friend today that the free phones from Koodo has to be booted with a Koodo SIM card at first :(
Please share your experiences and feel free to drop suggestions
thank youuu all

I'll put it you this way.  In Canada, it's illegal to sell phones that are carrier locked.

You'll be fine.

The SIM lock issue is with iPhone purchases from Bell/Virgin. The lock of their iPhones is a soft locked to prevent theft at the store or warehouse. Any new phone from Bell/Virgin gets unlocked once your Bell/Virgin SIM is inserted. After that phone is unlocked and can be used on any carrier. Other Canadian Carriers are not like that.. the phone comes completed unlocked and any SIM can be inserted.