Koodo Community
Question

5G not working

• 17 February 2024
  • 7 replies

I purchased 2 phones from koodo early 2023. I bought Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G. Upgraded both plans to 5G service and neither phone can connect to 5G. After a visit to a Telus store and multiple calls to Koodo I have learned that it seems to be a software issue. Now I have two 5G non functioning bricks, that I must keep until the Tab is paid off. Koodo has never offered to resolve this situation.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Considering that koodo didn't actually start offering 5G service until August 2023, calling the phones non functional bricks seems hyperbolic. Presumably they were able to connect to 4G service early in 2023 and are still capable of doing so?

Hi, my phone works fine on LTE, 4G etc. I didn’t change my plan from 4G to 5G until Sept or there about. I had asked for a phone capable of 5G and the S20 FE 5G was suggested. It still remains I was sold a 5G phone that doesn’t work on a Koodo 5G plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, my phone works fine on LTE, 4G etc. I didn’t change my plan from 4G to 5G until Sept or there about. I had asked for a phone capable of 5G and the S20 FE 5G was suggested. It still remains I was sold a 5G phone that doesn’t work on a Koodo 5G plan.

There was several reports in the forum about the s20 series and Koodo. Koodo is saying their firmware provided by Samsung wouldn't supported 5G on these devices. 

Exactly my point. Koodo sold me 2 phones as 5G compatible, knowing that S20 FE 5G won’t work as 5G on their service.  A company that size should be able to offer to make things right. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Exactly my point. Koodo sold me 2 phones as 5G compatible, knowing that S20 FE 5G won’t work as 5G on their service.  A company that size should be able to offer to make things right. 

Timo above addressed that point already. At the time of the purchase, Koodo didn't have 5G service and didn't promise 5G on that device. 

As of now, the issue seems to be from Samsung. If they decide to unlock 5G modem on Koodo network, you would receive a firmware update. If they don't,you would have to stay with LTE unfortunately.

Ok one more time. The phones were sold to me as 5G compatible purchased in April 2023. Sometime in Sept. 2023, I changed my 4G to 5G service. The phones I have (S20 FE 5G) won’t/don’t work on Koodo. One would think that once Koodo was aware of this that maybe they would offer to help out  the customers that were misled. I’m not asking for a free phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok one more time. The phones were sold to me as 5G compatible purchased in April 2023. Sometime in Sept. 2023, I changed my 4G to 5G service. The phones I have (S20 FE 5G) won’t/don’t work on Koodo. One would think that once Koodo was aware of this that maybe they would offer to help out  the customers that were misled. I’m not asking for a free phone.

Koodo was aware of it. The whole S20 series had issue with 5G, and you aren’t alone. Here are few threads about it