Koodo Community
Question

US Roaming Prepaid Account

• 4 December 2022
  • 6 replies

There is an issue with US roaming for prepaid accounts if both AT&T and T Mobile have dismantled their 3G networks.  Koodo should honour access via LTE.  Otherwise, I am being denied the use of prepaid roaming credits until Koodo grants LTE access 2025(?)

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you currently have an issue? Many customers with newer phones can call just fine in the US, that’s why I’m asking. What phone do you have?

Redmi note 9s, I think the issue is that the major carriers have decommissioned 3G, as noted in comments for Koodo postpaid; US roaming. 

Userlevel 5

Redmi note 9s, I think the issue is that the major carriers have decommissioned 3G, as noted in comments for Koodo postpaid; US roaming. 

As Sophia pointed out, US roaming for LTE data is working for many users.  I also see this over in Public Mobile as well.  Calling is very hit and miss now since it’s only available via Tmobile 2G networks.  

Your imported Redmi device is the likely culprit for your issues.  Try a different device with better LTE band support

This is a Prepaid question.

I have the same issue here in Fl. 

Our prepaid sim cards do not support anything more than 3G/3G LTE.

Both phones (Pixel 5a) however is 4G/4G LTE/5G compatible.

The Prepaid sim card restricts access to those networks.

Sitting with tons of paid US Roaming Top Ups we can’t use. 

Koodo did not explain to novice users that 3G turndown would impact 3G LTE as well. 😥😥

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How old are your SIM cards? I am not very versed in 3G but it’s the first time I heard that the phone is compatible yet the SIM is not. What error are you getting that makes you conclude it’s the SIM card that is restricted?

Userlevel 5

This is a Prepaid question.

I have the same issue here in Fl. 

Our prepaid sim cards do not support anything more than 3G/3G LTE.

Both phones (Pixel 5a) however is 4G/4G LTE/5G compatible.

The Prepaid sim card restricts access to those networks.

Sitting with tons of paid US Roaming Top Ups we can’t use. 

Koodo did not explain to novice users that 3G turndown would impact 3G LTE as well. 😥😥

Koodo prepaid has always used 3G HSPA networks for all voice calls and LTE network for data.  the 3G network shutdown in the US has caused issues for many, including Americans with old phones that were forced to upgrade.  Unfortunately until Telus/Koodo upgrades prepaid to support VoLTE, US roaming will continue to be a gong show; however LTE data + text should be fine, but all voice calls are stuck using the 2G TMobile voice network.

You are right in that this was not explained well.  In many cases the only notification of disruption south of the border is the legal small print that requires expanding, and which most never see.  The Public Mobile forums are full of frustrated users as well, and many there end up requesting credits from support. 

If you need solid phone voice calling support then look into a local prepaid eSIM which your Pixels should support in addition to your Koodo prepaid SIM card.  Another option is to use a VoIP style phone app for voice calls to use over WiFi or your LTE mobile data.

Which US roaming boosters did you purchase?