Koodo Community
Solved

Prepaid Home Province Question

Hi,

I have been with Koodo for many years. I live in Ontario, but my phone number was originally from Alberta. I have a prepaid plan.  My plan says:

Current Base Plan

$15 Unlimited Text & Picture Messaging and 100 Minutes Canada-wide Calling

$15.00 per 30 days

Plan details:

• 30 Day Plan
  • 100 Minutes for Canada-wide Calling
  • Unlimited Text and Picture Messaging
  • Voicemail 10† and Call Forwarding†
  • Call Display
  • Call Waiting
  • Conference Calling

*Incoming calls are free from anywhere in the world while you are in your home province.

My profile has my Woodstock, Ontario address listed as my address. Does this mean Ontario is my home province and I can then receive incoming calls for free without using my booster minutes up?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Mayumi 4 January 2021, 20:55

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As far as I know, the $15 prepaid plan has never had any feature of free incoming calls within the province. Can you post a screenshot of what it says EXACTLY on your self serve? (without personal information of course)

Hi Sophia,

This is copy and pasted from my plan on the prepaid self serve.

Current Base Plan

$15.00 per 30 days

Plan details:

• 30 Day Plan
  • Call Display
  • Call Waiting
  • Conference Calling

*Incoming calls are free from anywhere in the world while you are in your home province.

The 15$ prepaid plans now include 100 minutes a month. Doesn’t this “*Incoming calls are free from anywhere in the world while you are in your home province.” mean if you answer instead of making the call, it doesn’t cost minutes (free)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Sophia,

Current Base Plan

$15.00 per 30 days

Plan details:

• 30 Day Plan
  • Call Display
  • Call Waiting
  • Conference Calling

The 15$ prepaid plans now include 100 minutes a month. Doesn’t this “*Incoming calls are free from anywhere in the world while you are in your home province.” mean if you answer instead of making the call, it doesn’t cost minutes (free)?

It's correct.if you received calls, it doesn't use your minutes if you are in your home province.

You mentioned you are originally from Alberta. Does your phone number have Alberta area code?  Then I believe your home province is Alberta. 

Thank you for the reply, Mayumi.  My phone number has an Alberta area code. I didn’t see anything on the Koodo website indicating how they determine what your home province is. I suspect you are correct, but am curious if there is anywhere on the website that confirms that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/long-distance-calling?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=Local%20calls

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you click " Learn more about...", you will see the section said : 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Sophia,

Current Base Plan

$15.00 per 30 days

Plan details:

• 30 Day Plan
  • Call Display
  • Call Waiting
  • Conference Calling

Im with @Sophia here.

Can you post a screen shot instead of copy and paste?  This doesnt make sense to be since 

On the prepaid page there is no mention of unlimited incoming calls.  Did you have unlimited incoming provincial wide calls before?

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was also impression of no free incoming calls on prepaid.   But, I logged in and found out this.  
It must be new things we MMS weren’t notified.  
And it’s  mentioning  “ home province”.  So I assumed it work as a Province-wide plan for incoming.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Exactly. There never has been any $15 plan on prepaid that offered unlimited incoming calls… are you sure you have a prepaid plan and not a very, very old grandfathered postpaid plan?

Oops sorry Mayumi, cross posted with you. I stand corrected… it must be new and nobody told us 😞 It’s not mentioned on the prepaid page though, so it’s probably very new!

Another edit: my page doesn’t mention that, instead I get this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Exactly. There never has been any $15 plan on prepaid that offered unlimited incoming calls… are you sure you have a prepaid plan and not a very, very old grandfathered postpaid plan?

Oops sorry Mayumi, cross posted with you. I stand corrected… it must be new and nobody told us :(

😁

Prepaid service is getting better and better😉

But, it would be nice if Koodo letting us know this change.  I mean they don't tell us every promo. But, free income calls on prepaid is big change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I suggest that @Garion keeps a screenshot of that offer. The main prepaid website doesn’t mention anything of the sort.

If it’s a mistake in self serve, Koodo should honor it. I hope it’s true but in that case, Koodo should offer unlimited incoming calls nationwide like Public Mobile does!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I called koodo to ask them about it. They explained that “incoming calls are free as long as you are in your home province” does not mean those calls don’t use up your limited minutes, but rather, they just don’t cost long distance fees.

So you do not get unlimited incoming calls for free with prepaid plans (I do have friends who do prepaid with other companies that do get this feature, hence my assuming koodo did the same). 

Koodo did recently (a few months ago) add 100 minutes for free to the cheapest (15$) prepaid plan, so if you are a prepaid customer and haven’t updated your plan, you should do that on the last day of your billing cycle. 

Thanks again for the help and information.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is kind of what I expected from Koodo.  Their wording is horrible and is very misleading.

They are better off not posting anything than post something so misleading.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glad you are happy, @Garion but that doesn’t make sense at all. No, not what you wrote :) I meant what Koodo explained to you.

Incoming calls within the 100 minute are NATION wide, not province wide. You can call or be called anywhere in Canada. If you go over those minutes, you need a booster. That has been the case ever since they introduced this updated base plan.

Province wide calling has never been “a thing” in the $15 plan, and Koodo did away with it altogether in all their other prepaid plans as well… thank goodness.

Thanks again for posting your experience but I just wanted to vent that the wording on your plan is ridiculous and very, very confusing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I called koodo to ask them about it. They explained that “incoming calls are free as long as you are in your home province” does not mean those calls don’t use up your limited minutes, but rather, they just don’t cost long distance fees.

So you do not get unlimited incoming calls for free with prepaid plans (I do have friends who do prepaid with other companies that do get this feature, hence my assuming koodo did the same). 

Koodo did recently (a few months ago) add 100 minutes for free to the cheapest (15$) prepaid plan, so if you are a prepaid customer and haven’t updated your plan, you should do that on the last day of your billing cycle. 

Thanks again for the help and information.  

And thank you for your information.

I'm kind of up set why Koodo added that line. If it still use your minutes, then there is no point of mentioning about free incoming.  Free incoming means they don't deduct your minutes on prepaid for me.