Koodo Community
Solved

Long distance nights and weekends with prepaid

• 27 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I am currently on a Postpaid plan, but I am planning to switch to Prepaid: the smallest $15 base plan, with 100 Canada-wide minutes. However, I talk with family in the US frequently on weekends.

I understand that I have to purchase a long-distance booster to make outgoing calls to the US. I have two questions.

1. On the prepaid plan, can I receive unlimited incoming calls from the US on nights and weekends, even with a limited-minute plan (my understanding is yes)?
  2. On the prepaid plan, will outgoing calls to the US on nights and weekends count against my minutes? Or are these unlimited?

Thank you in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by Allan M 27 August 2021, 14:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On the $15 prepaid plan you get 100 minutes of calling every 30 days. Doesn't matter if it's incoming or outgoing.

In order to call the US you would need to buy a long distance calling booster as the plan only includes Canada wide calling and the minutes on the phone would go against your long distance booster minutes, not the 100min in the plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The $15 postpaid plan with 3G data speeds has unlimited incoming calls. 

But if you have wifi at home, talking with a chat app like facetime or Facebook messenger or whatsapp might be more costc effective

Thank you both for the information. I’m a little confused about nights and weekends more generally. With the $15 prepaid with 100 minutes, are there unlimited nights and weekends (just talking about within Canada now)?

I need to be able to receive calls from the US without wifi, and occasionally call. I’m now wondering if I should get the $25 prepaid plan with unlimited, so I can (presumably) receive unlimited incoming calls from the US and get a long-distance booster for when I need to call.

Thank you again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

AFAIK, there are no special nights and weekend deals on prepaid. You situation sounds a little fluid right now, not 100% of calling patterns.

My suggestion would be to go with the minimum $15 plan, and buy an extra talk (covers all Canadian outgoing and internationally incoming calls) as well as long distance boosters (for your US outgoing). Neither will expire, they carry over. Assess your usage after a month.

If you do run out of minutes part way thru the month, you have the option of changing your baseplan right away (will start a new 30-day cycle) or topping up your booster.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you both for the information. I’m a little confused about nights and weekends more generally. With the $15 prepaid with 100 minutes, are there unlimited nights and weekends (just talking about within Canada now)?

I need to be able to receive calls from the US without wifi, and occasionally call. I’m now wondering if I should get the $25 prepaid plan with unlimited, so I can (presumably) receive unlimited incoming calls from the US and get a long-distance booster for when I need to call.

Thank you again!

No unlimited nights and weekends on prepaid.

You could look into public mobile (another company owned by Telus). $15 would get you 100min outgoing, unlimited incoming calling.

If you sign up for autopay you save $2/month bringing it down to $13/month and you can get a 1000 US calling minutes booster for $15

Thank you all! I appreciate it.